Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodstock

Reaction score
ok, so I live in Seattle, so particular oil weights haven't been that much of a concern (since we don't get extreems of temperature). However, I just checked, and it seems that NV gets a wee bit warmer in July, and as I was planning on changing the oil before heading down, I figured I'd check if people are altering their usual weight?

Wood....I run 10-40 syth up here where the swings in temp can be extreme....my bud at Yamaha Canada & I both agree for the WFO run either 15-50 or 20-50 for the temps there....hope this helps..... :)

Not necessary, but if it give's you a warm fuzzy.............

10W-40 would be fine. As well as 15W-40, or 20W-40.

20W-50 is unnecessary, but won't hurt anything either. Did you look at your owners manual?

20W-50 is unnecessary, but won't hurt anything either. Did you look at your owners manual?
Are you saying Woodstock can read?.... :D

If I could source 20W-40 locally besides Yamalube, (that shit'll cause cancer 'n all other sorts of nasty 'osysies) I'd run it in the winter months. Alas, one cannot find it here.

Did you look at your owners manual?
Owners manual? Oh, that thing. ok, lemme check. Thumb, thumb, thumb. Hey, there's some good stuff in here. Let's see, oil, oil, ah, there. 20W40. Wow. Hey! Did you guys know you could change the final gear oil? Wonder what else is in here. Hmm. Lots of pivots, who woulda known. Something about lithium on some of them ok, have to check my perscription, but I assume if I grind up some of my pills with some of that hand cleaner it'll work ok.

Yep, I'm all ready for my ride to WFO! Just need someone to ride behind me to pick up any bits that fall off.

Last edited by a moderator:

If I could source 20W-40 locally besides Yamalube, (that shit'll cause cancer 'n all other sorts of nasty 'osysies) I'd run it in the winter months. Alas, one cannot find it here.

Shell Rotella, Delvac 1300, and Chevron's Delo all come in 15W-40 grades. All are widely available, in-expensive, and highly rated.

Pretty close to 20W-40, no?

Shell Rotella, Delvac 1300, and Chevron's Delo all come in 15W-40 grades. All are widely available, in-expensive, and highly rated.
Pretty close to 20W-40, no?
No. Can't find 15W-40 either. :angry: Yes, it's fucked up around here. Got 13 fucking oil rigs sitting 10 miles off the coast, crude bubbling up all around and I can't get half the stuff you guys can. I just might stay in Reno after WFO!

What? You all too ritzy for a freakin Wally World in your part of the world?
Ran both Wally and Target out. No big boxes 'cept for Home Despot. Our auto parts stores have become retailers of spinny hub caps, air fresheners and cell phone accessories. Maximum suckage here in Hoity-toity Mayberry.

Ran both Wally and Target out. No big boxes 'cept for Home Despot. Our auto parts stores have become retailers of spinny hub caps, air fresheners and cell phone accessories. Maximum suckage here in Hoity-toity Mayberry.
If you're nice, I might be able to cram a few gallons of your fav in the Merc Harley Hauler® with a delivery at WooFoo. But just you, I ain't running the Exxon Valdez here.

I figured I'd check if people are altering their usual weight?
I've been trying to alter my usual weight for years. Regrettably, I've been accumulating more than my share.
You too ?? So tell me - I've notice that my clothes tend to shrink while hanging in the closet - do you have that problem too ? I thought it was due to the humidity ...... :dribble:

Darn 12 oz curls .........

20w40 Kendall motorcycle oil..... :) ....or if you LOVE your bike....15w50 motul...(get the mortgage papers out)