Discount prices at Umotors no more

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean

mst3kguy
Reaction score
from mike kolstad:

------------------------------------------

"I'm sending this to everyone who's sent me an email recently.

I have bad news. Due to an unexpected and very recent policy change made by the top people of the store I can no longer offer you guys 15% over cost on stuff. They have told me I can only do 30% over cost now. Though I'd rather not insult you like this after years of having a wonderful business relationship (seeing that I know that you can get far better deals elsewhere), but I have no choice in the matter. The only thing I can still offer you is the great service that you guys have come to know and love. If you would inform the rest of your groups/friends to these changes that would be great. (As I'm not a member of any of the forums). For those who wish to continue doing business with me the only that will change is the pricing. Also, for those who have gotten prices from me recently, those are now no longer valid I'm afraid. For those of you that currently have orders placed with me, we will still honor the old pricing. Of course if you have any questions on the matter please let me know. If for some reason things change I will of course let you guys know. Again thanks for the years of allowing me to help you guys.

Mike Kolstad

U Motors Fergus Falls

218-998-2200"

------------------------------------------------

don't know if this has already been posted, or if you guys were even using him to begin with, but they _were_ giving great prices to the fj group, i can only assume the same here. no more...

dean

cincinnati

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks, I will probably still buy from them because they do have great service.

JW

That REALLY sucks. I can't tell you how disappointed I am. They were the only source I even bothered checking. Now I am going to have to find a new one.

Can we send U Motors a couple hundred emails expressing our displeasure, and their loss of customers?

Can we send U Motors a couple hundred emails expressing our displeasure, and their loss of customers?
Why don't one find first another place that would beat their price since they changed their policy? It may be that 30% is still cheaper than any other location.

In fact, as a datapoint I just bought rear wheel parts from them today and they still beat three different places I tried....including the second cheapest, flatoutmotorcycles.com, by about more than 15%.

I'm not surprised. They have a new building to pay for and the economy is not being very cooperative. I'll still send business their way just because of the history and top notch service.

has anyone ever tried zanotti's for their fjr parts? i ask, as that's who the fj list used to use for fj parts, until UM came around. zanottis offered very good discounts; i'm assuming there would be no difference with parts for a bike made in the 21st century? ( :

dean

cincinnati

I'll still use U-motors. I stopped in on my way to WFO last summer and you couldn't have met a better bunch of guys.

And from someone who went through college working in an automotive place, 15% above cost is almost to good to be true. Everybody has got to feed the family.

Can't say enough good things about U-motors.

gypsy

That F*ing Blows!!!

I guess that means I can't crash anymore, cause now I can't afford to rebuild again....

I can't comprehend how the management doesn't understand that selling 100 dollars in parts at 15% over cost is better than selling 0 in parts at 30% over cost?

While I and many others do really appreciate Mike's helpfullness and the quality of service, the increased prices in combination with shipping will probably eliminate them as a viable economic option. :angry:

If the decision does bring in more money for the dealership, I don't blame them, it just sucks....

Typical retail mark up is 40 -70% over cost. Most places run in the 50-60% range (think bell curve here). So 30% ain t bad at all.

I was a retail manager for a few years before starting my own stuff.

has anyone ever tried zanotti's for their fjr parts? i ask, as that's who the fj list used to use for fj parts, until UM came around. zanottis offered very good discounts; i'm assuming there would be no difference with parts for a bike made in the 21st century? ( :
dean

cincinnati

Do you mean Zanotti in Butler, PA?

https://www.zanottimotor.com/Yamaha.html

I'm not sure, but it's worth asking. Any idea who you used to talk to there?

If the prices with shipping are less or equal to my local dealer, I will stick with U-motors for sure. If not, they lost a customer. Nothing personal, the market dictates spending behavior.

dean

cincinnati
Although I cannot speak to their FJ parts pricing or internet/mail order customer service, as recently as 2.5 years ago, I lived no more than 2 miles from Zanotti's and can vouch for the service and integrity of their service tech shop. On more than one occasion, Zanotti's service department treated me very well (and fixed some of my mistakes without even charging me). If that is indicative of how the whole biz is operated, then Zanotti's may be a great place.

(BTW - last time I checked they didn't have to worry about passing on the overhead from a new building cause they're building hasn't changed for the last 30 years).

dean

cincinnati
Although I cannot speak to their FJ parts pricing or internet/mail order customer service, as recently as 2.5 years ago, I lived no more than 2 miles from Zanotti's and can vouch for the service and integrity of their service tech shop. On more than one occasion, Zanotti's service department treated me very well (and fixed some of my mistakes without even charging me). If that is indicative of how the whole biz is operated, then Zanotti's may be a great place.

(BTW - last time I checked they didn't have to worry about passing on the overhead from a new building cause they're building hasn't changed for the last 30 years).

And it's still the same as it was when you lived here so it might be worth looking into.

Anyone ever tried RonAyers.com to compare their prices? That was a huge vendor on the Suzuki board I belonged to years ago, and they have Yamaha too.

Just curious. It isn't Friday, so I should be safe.....I think.

I can't comprehend how the management doesn't understand that selling 100 dollars in parts at 15% over cost is better than selling 0 in parts at 30% over cost?
I really tend to agree with this statement. Of couse when I buy in the future I'll be checking with them first but will be checking other avenues, also. Previously, I didn't bother checking prices, elsewhere. This is always where I bought. I like the idea of supporting them no matter what... but realistically that depends on how many dust bunnies are in my pockets.

Latest posts