Replacing the Clutch Slave Cylinder with Gen-I

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
Some owners choose to replace the clutch slave cylinder on the Gen-II (2006-) models with a Gen-I (-2005) unit. Listed below is the parts diagram and other information that may help you make this change, if you desire to do so.

2005 FJR 1300A - CLUTCH

The clutch slave cylinder is Item #28 in the diagram.

The Yamaha Part# is: 5JW-16381-00-00, described as PUSH LEVER COMP.

Current (2008) price of the part is approximately $67.

2005FJRclutch.gif

Many owners have found the larger piston diameter of the Gen-I clutch slave cylinder helps reduce the required pull force on the clutch lever. It is believed that Yamaha changed the design of the Gen-II bikes to accommodate requirements of both the "A" and "AE" models using the same slave cylinder.

Changeout of the clutch slave cylinder is very straightforward. It does not require any replacement gasket and no adjustments must be made. A simple, two-bolt mechanical changeout and subsequent bleeding of the clutch hydraulic system is all that's required.

Estimated time from start to completion is less than 45 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Jeff. I hear that the Gen 2 has a smaller bore for a quicker dis-ingagement on the AE. I've been thinking about pulling the plates on my 07 as I'm thinking that it has the gummed up plates and had thought about changing the slave at the same time.

Thanks for the info Jeff. I hear that the Gen 2 has a smaller bore for a quicker dis-ingagement on the AE. I've been thinking about pulling the plates on my 07 as I'm thinking that it has the gummed up plates and had thought about changing the slave at the same time.

When I changed out the slave on my 07 I had to adjust the clutch lever all the way out for the clutch to work right. I noticed that the stock clutch lever ball was hitting the grip and taking about

1/2 inch of lever travel away. I bent the lever so that it would be parallel with the grip and now I can back the adjustment off to a #4. It works great and the clutch pull is very light.

Harold

Is the goal of this replacement to reduce the required clutch lever tension?

Does this affect the point of engagement in the lever's travel?

I'm OK with the clutch lever tension; but would like to get the engagement point about an 1" further out from the grips.

Is the goal of this replacement to reduce the required clutch lever tension?
Does this affect the point of engagement in the lever's travel?

I'm OK with the clutch lever tension; but would like to get the engagement point about an 1" further out from the grips.
Yes to both, bu it puts the friction point closer to the bar unfortunately.

Some owners choose to replace the clutch slave cylinder on the Gen-II (2006-) models with a Gen-I (-2005) unit. Listed below is the parts diagram and other information that may help you make this change, if you desire to do so.
2005 FJR 1300A - CLUTCH

2005FJRclutch.gif

Many owners have found the larger piston diameter of the Gen-I clutch slave cylinder helps reduce the required pull force on the clutch lever. It is believed that Yamaha changed the design of the Gen-II bikes to accommodate requirements of both the "A" and "AE" models using the same slave cylinder.

Changeout of the clutch slave cylinder is very straightforward. It does not require any replacement gasket and no adjustments must be made. A simple, two-bolt mechanical changeout and subsequent bleeding of the clutch hydraulic system is all that's required.

Where did you get the part for $67.00. Local dealer was $120.00,

Thanks,

Marcus

This topic caught my attention (Clutch lever tension) cause there are only two things that I am concern abouth this wonderful 06 FJR 1300A that I got 4 months ago. Throttle and cluch lever tension. My question is if you change the cluch slave with gen2 will you have to adjustor bent cluch lever as 38 ford was saying. While I am here is there any idea on the throttle as well. Need help so I can put more miles on this bike. I only have 1200 miles on it.Got the bike with 77 on the odo and a dealer sticker change odo at a little over 400 miles. Thanks.

I'm interested in reducing my clutch pull as well but don't want to adjust the lever location. Has everyone who changed the slave back needed to bend the lever? Thanks!

I'm interested in reducing my clutch pull as well but don't want to adjust the lever location. Has everyone who changed the slave back needed to bend the lever? Thanks!

The lever location doesn't change, the engagement point does.

No need to bend the lever, they're adjustable.

I open up this dead thread again. Has anyone tried with a replacement clutch lever instead of bending the oem one?
I replaced my slave and got Pazzo levers, they have more adjustments than OEM levers, and I have got a sweet spot for engagement point.

Because of the larger piston, it takes more stroke to push more fluid, therefore the change in engagement point closer to the handlebars. I got a used slave for $25, and I put on Pazzo's. You will have to adjust any lever in this setup to move it away from the bars at least one more position. Shorter fingers may not like it.

Thx for the feedback guys. I found this on ebay, should there be any problems with an used parts?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FJR1300-FJR-1300-04-Clutch-Slave-Cylinder-/181098630267

I also thinking of buying this lever from touratech for better adjustment settings.

https://shop.touratech.se/SE/Catalog/yamaha/fjr_1300_a/styre_fjadring_hjul/01-613-0303-0.html
Used part is fine just make sure you clean it good before install, I have my Pazzos set on #5 and the engagment point is about 1/2 " off the grips.

2005 FJR 1300A - CLUTCH

2005FJRclutch.gif

Hi gang Only got to ride my, "New to me" 2004 FJR once. Then the slave cylinder let go and i did my back in all in one week. 5JW-16381-00-00 does not come up on Australian dealers sites for some reason nut is the part i need. I have not been able to access info for the banjo bolt or "crush washers" any where. Has anyone got the part number for these as i al least believe i should replace the washers.
Also torque settings for the slave cylinder bolts and banjo bolt please?
Looks like it will cost me $308 Aud from Partzilla as i cannot find one here in Australia. Bummer. Thank you all

You don't need to replace the bolt, just the washers. Around here, the Yamarobber will ding you $8 or $10 each washer (90201-10118-00).

OR you can just hop on-line and look for generic 10mm (I believe the banjo bolts are 10mm, but measure the bolt diameter first.) copper crush washers. 10 pack for $5 here. 3/8" crush washers would also work.

(all prices quoted in Canadian $, YMMV on your side of the world)