Gary McCoy - Umotors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opt8low

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I called Umotors this morning and asked to talk to Gary. I was informed that he was not longer there. So being somewhat of a friend I called his cellphone and he answered. He said that he was let go this morning! He would not say why, as he is a good man, and would never say a bad thing about anyone. But from what I have seen at the dealership the new owner has gone through and fired everyone that was there and helped him get there new store open. Why? Only one person knows for sure. This owner is also the owner of a new store in Fergus Falls, MN. Also called Umotors.

Gary did not mention anything about parts and/or if we still will get the great prices that we got when Gary was in-charge. I for one will not order a part or do any kind of business with Umotors again. There is always another dealer.

Gary did mention that he will land on his feet and be better off in the future. Let's all hope for our sake that it is at another Yamaha dealership.....

Sorry for passing on the bad news.

Dana

P.S. For those that never had the pleasure of talking to Gary, he is the one that made the first Speigler group buy that he and Warchild put together. At that time he started to sell all FJRForum members parts at 15% over cost. He always treated everyone with the most respect possible and took care of us on all are parts needs. I for one thanked him. I can only hope he stays in the area as he has become a good friend. I never told him this but I plan on talking to the new owner and letting him know what I think of this. By the way, his name is Del. Sorry I don't know his last name.

That's sad to hear. Gary was always helpful, even when he made the transition to Sales Manager he would direct emails to the parts department and they were always helpful.

I'm sorry for him and the news sounds like it was a surprise to him, as well.

As I watch the local dealers in this area, it seems like there are always personnel changes taking place (service mgrs., too) and we, the customers, never know who will be gone tomorrow. Its frustrating when you've built trust in an individual to perform their job to your satisfaction and then they are replaced.

That's sad to hear. Gary was always helpful, even when he made the transition to Sales Manager he would direct emails to the parts department and they were always helpful.
I'm sorry for him and the news sounds like it was a surprise to him, as well.

As I watch the local dealers in this area, it seems like there are always personnel changes taking place (service mgrs., too) and we, the customers, never know who will be gone tomorrow. Its frustrating when you've built trust in an individual to perform their job to your satisfaction and then they are replaced.

I agree wholeheartedly MM.......local guy merged his Yamaha/Honda and Suzuki dealerships and let a lot of people (I considered) trustworthy and good go on short notice. Sad to see Gary having this foisted on him as he was always helpful and informative. Business is business, but I wish customer SERVICE and the people good at it counted for more nowadays.

Is Mike still there? I heard we no longer get the killer deals at UMotors, but we'll get an OK deal now.

What's up?

That sucks. Gary took customer service to a new level. When I had an issue with my (non-group buy) Spiegler purchase, he chased down Spiegler and held them accountable. He said if they do not make it right, he would , even on his own dime. Ultimately, Spiegler made it right, and Gary kept active pressure on them until they did.

I would buy a steaming turd from this guy if he said it was good - he is that trustworthy.

-BD

What complete and utter crap! UMotors has now lost my business forever. And they are the only ones I ever bought from.

What complete and utter crap! UMotors has now lost my business forever. And they are the only ones I ever bought from.
Ditto here.

Years back I used to buy V-Max parts from Gary, then I started sourcing FJR spares and, like everyone else here, I quickly got hooked on Gary's customer service attitude.

I hope he lands a better job somewhere else and we can start dealing with "the real McCoy" again :rolleyes:

Stef

Dana,

If you find out that Gary moves on to another dealership, maybe if the conditions are right, we as a group might be able to show our support by still using him as a reference. Gary might thusly carry some good 'baggage' as he moves to a new place of employment.

Thats a darn shame. I only ordered from Umotors few times BUT he was AWESOME to deal with. Haven't heard too many good things about their new operation.

:angry01:

That's a dam shame, the few times I dealt with him he was great.

Maybe that explains why my little piss ass order of parts is still not in my hands after 3 weeks.

That's a dam shame, the few times I dealt with him he was great.Maybe that explains why my little piss ass order of parts is still not in my hands after 3 weeks.
I haven't placed an order w/ UMotors is a while (do have my current order list prepared) but did enjoy the great customer service (Gary and Mike). I was hoping that even though the current owner gave up on value pricing, he would maintain that customer service...maybe not.

I think that when a businessman gives up value pricing AND customer service, the end is in sight...IMHO.

Suxors!

Both Gary and Mike K. (when he was there) were awesome. I cannot even fathom the amount of business they sustained for U motors.

I am mightily pissed! Both for me, and for Gary!

That's a dam shame, the few times I dealt with him he was great.Maybe that explains why my little piss ass order of parts is still not in my hands after 3 weeks.
I haven't placed an order w/ UMotors is a while (do have my current order list prepared) but did enjoy the great customer service (Gary and Mike). I was hoping that even though the current owner gave up on value pricing, he would maintain that customer service...maybe not.

I think that when a businessman gives up value pricing AND customer service, the end is in sight...IMHO.

What we can hope is the new owner quickly realizes our and Gary's value to his business and seeks to rehire him. Will Gary go back? Only he will know. Sometimes business owners do things by the seat of the pants without truly realizing their own economic impact to themselves.

I wish Gary good luck in his new endeavors and sorry to hear about his misfortune.

Dana,
If you find out that Gary moves on to another dealership, maybe if the conditions are right, we as a group might be able to show our support by still using him as a reference. Gary might thusly carry some good 'baggage' as he moves to a new place of employment.

I don't imagine there are many dealerships in Fargo, ND. Hell, there probably aren't many within a day's ride.

hey guys I talked to Gary this morning,he's in good sprits,he said he saw it coming,and it sounds like(to me) it was the great deals he was giving all of us,the boss didn't like it,it just goes to show you how much this stuff is marked up.he's got a few things going already,he'll land on his feet,but I think the great deals are going to be short lived with U motors.I made good friends with Gary talked to him on the phone every couple months for the last 4-5 years,I for one will NOT use U motors anymore with or with out the great deals..they screwed him over good but, they waited until after he set up the new place and got rid of the dead wood.I hate to say it but it was our good deals that may have cost a man his job.but,there is power in numbers and we have that here,so think about every time you get ready from U motors.

I had a friend at a local bike dealer and he was also keeping the customers happy, floating them some nice deals like 10% off, going above and beyond the call of duty to keep the people coming back. The owner didn't approve and canned him.

I'm not sure if this is similar to Gary, but I would hope that whom ever let Gary go tried to help him first by telling him of their displeasure so the matter could be corrected.

It'll be interesting how UMotors business will be affected by all this. They do have a rather new pricey building to pay for out in ND.

It just shows that to some, when it comes down to the almighty $$, nothing else matters in business....

there is power in numbers and we have that here,so think about every time you get ready [to order] from U motors.
Well, heck, that's easy. There were only two reasons I ever ordered anything from UMotors: (1) great deals and (2) Gary. Both gone, no more reasons. No UMotors.

Don't think they'll notice me being gone, though. Not much of the business was built on crush washers.

Always hate to see a good man lose his job. And it's a tough market to find another one. I wish him the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator: