Corbin Smuggler on Raven Black '08

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfespinosa

Reaction score
I received my Corbin Smuggler today and here are some pictures.

The color match is great.

The build quality and design is great, with one weakness, the lid hinge has a lot of flexibility as it opens and closes and that seems strange.

It weighs less than the Corbin rear seat, although the Corbin seat is heavier than OEM.

Here is a comparison to the Corbin rear seat

file-2.jpg

file-3.jpg

Here are some pictures with the bags on

file-5.jpg

file-6.jpg

file-7.jpg

Here are some pictures with the bags off, which by the way, is how I ride most of the time, thus I am looking forward to using the Smuggler a lot this way

file-10.jpg

file-11.jpg

file-15.jpg

file-16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking bike! The smuggler should work out nicely for you; I'd get one too but I have a fuel tank there..............

Very nice, great addition for small storage while running around sans bags! :)

--G

Just be carefully when you wash the smuggler, no hose pressure right on the lid or it will leak. Never had it leak while riding in the rain but I have gotten water inside when washing it.

Love mine, have about 80,000+ miles on the smuggler and had Gary paint it when I changed bikes.

Just be carefully when you wash the smuggler, no hose pressure right on the lid or it will leak. Never had it leak while riding in the rain but I have gotten water inside when washing it.

Love mine, have about 80,000+ miles on the smuggler and had Gary paint it when I changed bikes.
Thanks for the tip, I am glad that the inside stays dry in the rain, I am surprised, given the flexibility of the lid hinge. I am not taking a chance, I am putting my electronics inside sealed bags.

VERY nice. I soooo want one for my 2006. How big is it inside?

BTW, I think the bike would look even better if that silver wrap around piece at the bottom of the tank were black as well!

Wow! Your bike looks great with the Smuggler! I'm going to break down and get one someday when my ship comes in.

BTW, I think the bike would look even better if that silver wrap around piece at the bottom of the tank were black as well!
That would be an '09 then wouldn't it. I really like the look of that smuggler. Its going on my farkle list. Of course in my case I need the bike first.

One more thing I need to buy now. Looks great.

Where did you get the plugs that cover the side bag mounts? Come with the bike? Aftermarket?

Those come with the bike (new)....

I sealed my smuggler with self sticking door felt and it never leaks...

R

That would be an '09 then wouldn't it. I really like the look of that smuggler. Its going on my farkle list. Of course in my case I need the bike first.
I honestly did not know the '09 model had a black tank wrap, I just thought it would look more clean. Learn something new every day!

Just talked to Corbin and they claim that they don't have the smuggler for Gen II FJR's. Do you have a part number for your smuggler?

Just talked to Corbin and they claim that they don't have the smuggler for Gen II FJR's. Do you have a part number for your smuggler?
This is very strange, there has got to be a miscommunication somehow. It is part # Y-FJR13-6-SMUG and the description states it is for an '06 FJR, I called them about that because I clearly told them I had an '08 and they told me the description reads '06 as part of an internal id because that's the year the mold was made. Another line on the order clearly states '08 Raven Black. That would imply that it works on Gen 2 and not on Gen 1, I would recommend just stating what year FJR you have.

Other questions:

It costs $800 plus $42 shipping, they charge the card when the order is entered in their system, not when it ships, and it took a month to get to my front door.

It works with the OEM front seat. As a matter of fact, it's footprint is exactly like the OEM rear seat.

Working from memory (lookout!), the capacity is 7 liters. There is another thread in this forum where another owner has pictures with a ruler in place that gives a real good idea of its size.