SW-Motech rack , Givi V46 top case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
Thanks to forum member CHIPS for posting his thread on the SW-Motech rack/adapter and Givi V46 trunk for '06-'07 FJR. I ordered mine 2 days ago from twistedthrottle.com , it got here today and I just installed it in about 30 minutes. The install could not have been easier.

I ordered the SW-Motech rack with Givi/Kappa adapter and the Givi V46 trunk. The total was $400 and change delivered from twisted throttle.

1. install the lower bracket to the rack (this is the bottom/underneath the bracket).

Lowerbracket1.jpg

2. Install the cam locks from the Givi adapter to the bottom of the SW-Motech rack:

lowerbracket_camlocks2.jpg

3. So it looks like this:

bracket_camsinstalled3.jpg

4. place the spacers in place:

spacers4.jpg

5. place the rack in place lining up the holes over the spacers but only tighten down the one bolt for the lower bracket:

rackinstalled5.jpg

6. Now tighten up the 2 rear screws first then align the spacers in front (they have a slope) then tighten:

rack6.jpg

7. Place the 3 quick fastners (screws) in place:

Giviadapter7.jpg

8. Then place the Givi adapter over the SW-Motech rack and a half turn each on the srews (quick fasterns) locks the adapter to the rack:

Givi10.jpg

9. Side view of rack and adapter in place. I'm o.k. with this look when not using the top box, it doesn't look like a huge plank hanging off the bike. I sat on a '07 that had the Givi rack and V46 and it seems to give about the same amount of room for the passenger/rider. The OHFJR seems like it may allow for the passenger to go back a bit more but I like this look better and don't have a passenger often. Also the box looks good on the bike, not like its hanging off the rear:

Givi8.jpg

10. Rear view:

Givi9.jpg

11. Givi V46 clicks on in seconds:

givi11.jpg

givi12.jpg

givi13.jpg

givi14.jpg

With the supplied instructions you really will not have a problem, if you do feel free to pm me.

After having a Givi V46 on my ST1300 I really wanted to avoid it on the FJR. I didn't like the Givi rack/mount for the ST and didn't like the way it looked or handled, the box seemed to sit high and hang off behind the rear wheel. I decided after 8k miles that I want the box on the FJR for solo touring if nothing else. I like the looks and if the weight feels o.k. it will likely get more duty, its just too convienent but its good to know that it comes off in seconds for day trips w/o the box leaving the great stock looks/handling.

Tomorrow I'll ride 65 miles backroads to work in north GA then likely hit the mtn/twisties for a test ride home.

All products for all FJR's here:

twistedthrottle.com

Givi V46 top trunk for '06'-07 FJR: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/578/

SW-Motech luggage rack and Givi/Kappa Monokey adapter: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2745/114/

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the info and the pictures. Can you just mount the black Givi adapter directly to the FJR without the adapter plate? I don't mind drilling holes in the adapter, if that's what it takes. Also does that adapter come with the V46? Thanks, Jim K.

Steve,Thanks for the info and the pictures. Can you just mount the black Givi adapter directly to the FJR without the adapter plate? I don't mind drilling holes in the adapter, if that's what it takes. Also does that adapter come with the V46? Thanks, Jim K.

I guess you could just mount the Givi adapter if you drilled holes though its not designed to go that way.

The adapter comes with the SW-Motech rack. When ordering the Motech rack from twisted throttle, you choose the Givi adapter from the drop down box ($30 I think).

Steve

I went one step further with my SW-Motech install.

Mine is for a Givi Monolock and yours is for a Monokey so I was able to do the following.

I drilled a half inch hole through the bottom of the case to get a screw driver through.

Now if I don't want the case on it takes about 15 secs to remove it and the same to put it back on.

That's the advantage of having the case mounted to an adapter plate.

sw.jpg

There are many adapters available for different luggage including soft rack.

soft.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve - Thanks for the excellent and very informative post!! I too like the looks of the SW-Motech rack as well as the resulting position of the V46 case - not too far back. Chip's post was helpful as well in deciding. BTW - any idea why the adapter plate you have is different from Chip's? I like the way yours seems to cover the Alu-Rack.

How did the FJR handle with the top case?

It seems Givi now has the matching replacement lid available in the US for our 07 dark cherry - p/n: C46R353

Well, just got done installing this same setup on my 07. VERY nice, very pleased with it so far!!!! (same exact silver rack plate and black adapter Steve shows here - makes for a really nice clean installation that will look good with the case off as well, not to mention the black plastic adapter comes of very easily). Definitely like to positioning of the case with this setup.

And Twisted Throttle is AWESOME to deal with!!!

Also no looseness to the case mounting on this black plastic adapter. SW-Motech changed the adapter design for this year from the one that CHIPS used. I see no need to add grommets as CHIPS had to (great idea by the way CHIPS) with the old style. We'll see if it stays tight.

I hope not to experience any negative handling effects. I suppose the trick is not over loading, which seems very easy to due with the amount of space in that V46 Givi. The "new" Givi lock/release mechanism seems very good and easy to use. Very happy with the case so far.

Twisted Throttle's web site is right - the red lens has no reflective ability that I can see. So I may add their 3M reflective kit to it, or maybe play with some LEDs.

I have the matching replacement lid for the 07 dark cherry - p/n: C46R353 on the way. I hope they did a good match with the color. Anyone see one in person yet??

Mike

D. B.: That is Premier Cycle Accessories that offers the other rack made in Ohio. They offer three models a large .

A sport and a compact one the size of yours. I just installed the sport and like it. It gives me more options than just a

holder for a Givi trunk. I holds a givi trunk, helmet locks ,has a back rest can be removed serves as a rack for carring what ever cargo you may have,and you can use soft luggage with it, also installs in 10 minutes.

I went with this because of the options

It is nice to have all these options and your looks great on your bike..

weekend rider :)

Hi Steve,

That setup looks nice. I like the fact that it places the trunk not too far back..It looks really clean and compact with the top case removed also......BUT.......... I don't like how HIGH it raises the top case to clear the rear handrail. I agree with Weekend rider about the OHFJR rack having more options(I use all of them with my setup)and I like how much lower it places my GIVI. Still a very nice setup and it is great to have these types of options for our Mighty FJR's. Nice post too Steve. Here is the link to mine for those that want to compare:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=21085&hl=

WW

Now if someone would just build a backrest that would fit on the rack when the case was off ....
Niehart

Humm .. maybe Gary ..

Information only, Niehart, check out Premier Cycle Accessories They have what you are looking for I just put on the sport rack and like it. all top notch quality

It is called a stand alone back rest and adjustable

Hope this helps you or solve some of the mystrey as to why you were unable to find one..

weekend rider

I like the Sw-Motech, I did purchase the hardware and installed it, I love the setup, but I am worried that the SW-MOTECH only have three bolts that hold the topcase, I'm worried that the case of bolds might break or come off.

I like the Sw-Motech, I did purchase the hardware and installed it, I love the setup, but I am worried that the SW-MOTECH only have three bolts that hold the topcase, I'm worried that the case of bolds might break or come off.
I have this setup on my 05 with about 30,000 miles and no problems. The bolts are plenty secure and I stuff my topcase so it gets pretty heavy.

I have had to change this to a OHFJR rack to get clearence for my fuel cell but it still uses the same three bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:

FJRski,

Hey, I don't think you need to worry about that setup going any where. Unless your hauling cinder blocks... or something similar(like me ole Lady's f'n Purse!!!)

WW

Hi Steve,

When the trunk is installed onto the adapter plate, is it shug or does it rattle around ? I ask b/c I have a Bandit, with the AL rack and a metal adapter plate and it rattles and the trunk is loose on the adapter plate. Riders behind me say the trunk bounces around. I called TT and they told me that the new palstic plate as you have was going to fix that loose problem that I have with my metal plate.

TIA,

Rob

Hi Steve,
When the trunk is installed onto the adapter plate, is it shug or does it rattle around ? I ask b/c I have a Bandit, with the AL rack and a metal adapter plate and it rattles and the trunk is loose on the adapter plate. Riders behind me say the trunk bounces around. I called TT and they told me that the new palstic plate as you have was going to fix that loose problem that I have with my metal plate.

TIA,

Rob
Its very snug, not going anywhere. I keep mine on all the time now, its nice having all that cargo space. The fit of the rack is top notch in my book. It is nice to be able to take the box off quickly and remove the adapter leaving just the Small SW Motech rack. Those 3 screws hold it quite secure.

I recommend this setup and am very happy with it.

Steve

This is a great rack but with the V46, with backrest, installed the trunk is to far forward for the passenger to get comfortable. It needs to be back further. I sent mine back.

Latest posts