FJRF003.0: Ignition Failures on FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barabus

Reaction score
Admin Note: After building this thread with great diligence from the thread starter and forum contribution, this issue has been assigned for forum use FJRF003: Ignition Failures on FJRs. Although the issue does not have any known formal Yamaha Technical Bulletin, feel free to use this term and reference this thread when working with Yamaha dealers or Yamaha Corporate with warranty coverage. Perhaps they will too acknowledge the issue formally and assign a technical bulletin.

Due to an apparent rash of ignition failures on FJRs, we would like to use this thread for information gathering purposes on this narrow issue only. The information we need about the ignition failures is: 1) What year FJR?; 2) How many miles?; 3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever?; 4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful); 5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer; 6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service?; 7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? 8) Non-OEM accessories added that contribute to electrical draw; 9) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)? 10) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure.

Your information should be a in the form of a reply on this thread. Below is a partial list of persons that have already mentioned some form of Ignition Failure. If your name appears in the below list or you have had an ignition failure on a FJR, then please take a moment to reply to this thread with the requested information. Thank-you.

Edited 1/17/2009- The recall for this problem is official- see Link to Recall Thread

Axeman

Dcarver

Cota (x2)

Rayban

Airboss

FJR Gary

Calabash

Smoke FJR06

Indian Scout

Barabus

Turbo Dave

Fjrrider

Inlaw1

Gadi

Cartfj40

FJRobert (x2)

Stokerdog

Kasey

Cometman

JohnT

Tphfjr

DJB

LSUBoy

Jaffarae

Petey

Mkfotos

Larry33319

Mr.dhart

Olyfjr

Dailycommuter

Mike#22

Larry

Ed29

Bueller

Brodie

Old Michael

818 Guy

Sparko

(too many to keep up with, list stopped in 4/08, see below page for full list. I may update when I am really really bored!)

Also, here are the links to other accounts of this problem-

Axeman's Thread re Ignition Failure

DCarver's thread re Ignition Failure

Inlaw's thread re Ignition Failure

Cota's Thread re Ignition Failure

Barabus' Thread re Ignition Failure

Barabus' thread reverse engineering an igntion failure and trouble shooting future failures

How to repair an ignition switch including detailed photos

Ponyfool's reverse engineering of his ignition failure

Link to ScooterG's summary of this problem- in case you do not feel like read the several hundreds of posts

EDIT: Please include your GenI ignition failures, too! Even though this seems to be a predominately GenII issue. We will know more after we collect all the data.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) 2006

2) 13,500 miles approx.

3) Failed while running uphill @ 35-40 mph with a tailgating car on my ass.

4) Wire pulled loose inside switch.

5) New ignition ordered and installed by North Country Powersports, Waterville Maine.

6) 3 days at dealer. Transported day one, part delivered day two, repaired and picked up day three.

7) Covered under YES warranty.

8) Same keys as old ignition.

9) Trip to meet family in Bar Harbor Maine was interupted by one day. YES picked up the tab for hotel, rental car, etc...

1. 2006

2. 13,500 Km

3. Failed while slowing down at intersection for red light

4. Wires pulled out of ignition

5. Soldered back longer wire with a more secure connection done by Woodbridgwe Yamaha in Woodbridge Ontario Canada

6. 2 weeks out of service

7. Paid for by Yamaha

8. Did not change any locks

9 2 weeks of prime riding, and the season is pretty short here in Canada

June 16, 2007

Switch failed at 22,000 mile +/-

The ignition switch on my 06 failed I was 750 mile into an instate 1000 saddle sore, I stopped a a "corner" to get a gas receipt, when I tried to restart the bike the panel lite momentarily and went blank.

I spent more than and hour checking fuses, and cycling the switch, on the 14th bazillions attempt I got the panel lite, and fired the bike up, called the rally master and told him not to wait up, I was going home. I needed one more gas stop to finish, but I didn't know how long the bike would keep running, or if I had to shut it down to get the next tank of fuel would it re fire????????? I knew I had enough fuel to get to the barn, so thats where I went. All this of course took place at 0' Dark Thirty.

Called the dealer first thing Monday morning to come and get it, I have to give the dealer credit there was never any discussion about charging me for anything. By the time I got to the dealership, the bike was in the shop, and the parts where ordered. Only problem was........... NO ignition switches in the USA. Yamaha gave us a delivery date of 3 weeks in the future. I looked :angry2: The parts person looked :angry2: the shop manager looked :angry: the owner was just plain pissed. after we stood around awhile and told each other what a suckey deal this was someone suggested(not dealership personnel) I call the phone # that had come magically into my possession.

I Called talked to a nice man on the other end, who denied all knowledge of any ignition switches falling, stated that he didn't have the resources to check if others had been reported, but he did move my parts order to priority air and the switch came in in less than 10 days instead of three weeks.

The wires on my ignition switch where still tight into the switch housing, I suspect that I had a connector pull loose enough to start arching and burn a post off. With the wires being tied so tightly, I had to do a full lock left, to full lock right, to get the bike out of the garage. I think this is what caused one of the wires to loosen and start arching.

1) What year FJR?; 2006, purchased new 7/2006

2) How many miles?; At the time of failure, approximately 5,800

3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever?; Hesitated once while cruising with a passenger. Parked shortly after at beach. Returned an hour later, no power when turning key on. Disassembled bodywork to check fuses and various connections, no luck. Jiggling ignition wire harness coming out of lock eventually regained power. Total delay: 45 min. Similar failure one other time (jiggling wires regained power long enough to ignite and carefully limp home from work), followed by a total and permanent failure a third time at home. Second and third times bike ran fine before parking. I lock my forks every time. I had a set of GPS wires zip-tied to the ignition wires to hold them in place and feel that the turning to lock position caused the GPS/audio wires to "pull" on the ignition wire harness.

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful); Red ignition wire had broken loose of its soldered joint on the ignition circuit board inside the lock (disassembled lock after removal for better diagnosis, no pictures, was very apparent though). Again, after testing and carefully examining my setup, I feel that my zip ties to hold the audio wires for my Autocomm and the power line that both ran to my GPS above the left clutch reservoir caused pulling/tugging on the ignition wires to which they were secured.

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer; Performed lock replacement myself at home. Purchased new ignition and the two special ignition bolts from Fun Bike Center in San Diego March 2006.

6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service?; N/A, I do all my maintenance myself except tire changes, and even then I only give them the rims.

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? No, paid out of my own pocket. I felt that since I had caused the failure, it would be improper to claim it as a warranty failure.

8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)? I still have to run with 2 keys, I have not rekeyed the other locks.

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure. An evening of disassembling the bars/triple clamp area then cutting out the old lock and replacing it. One night's effort plus another day of picking up the lock after ordering it over the internet.

I am a pretty self-sufficient and technically proficient owner. I can understand if other owners feel their ignitions failed for no good reason, but I do not feel that was the case with my bike.

1) What year FJR?

2) How many miles?

3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever?

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful)

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer

6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service?

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not?

8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)?

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure.

SMOKEFJR06:

1 = 2006

2 = 14,724

3 = Failed while turning ignition on.

4 = Unknown

5 = Repair performed by dealer - Sportland, 2045 Ireland Grove Road, Bloomington, Illinois 61704

6 = 1 day for repair.

7 = Paid for by ME, not Yamaha.

8 = Now using two keys.

9 = Almost stranded on the road, but got it to work long enough to get home. Biggest inconvenience was the $222.76 it cost me to fix.

Due to an apparent rash of ignition failures on Gen II (2006+) FJR's, we would like to use this thread for information gathering purposes on this narrow issue only. The information we need about the GenII ignition failures is: 1) What year FJR?; 2) How many miles?; 3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever?; 4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful); 5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer; 6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service?; 7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? 8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)? 9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure.
1. Year - 2006

2. around 19,500

3. I was taking a turn slowly and the engine just cut out. I was lucky there was no traffic and I was easily able to pull off to the side of the road.

4. The power wire going to the switch was pulled away from it's solder, the dealer gave me the switch so I got into it and took a picture of the power lead that pulled away.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/cal...cs/IMG_0632.jpg

5. Yamaha Motor Sports in Athens, Tennessee replace the switch for me.

6. It was in the shop for 2 weeks but that was due to the mechanic having medical problems for a week and a half.

7. Yamaha paid for the switch and some of the labor, I paid 130 dollars for the rest of the labor.

8. I have two keys now, this does not bother me, just so I can ride the bike and get into the gas tank and bags.

9. I missed going to an annual gathering (this was the 5th year) of bikers called the BugBash up in Ohio. This was attended by about 50 riders from up and down the East Coast. :angry: :glare: :angry2:

Note: the dealer did not have a clue what was wrong with the bike till I printed out what dcarver had written about his.

1) What year FJR?

2) How many miles?

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful)

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer

8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)?

Cota95

1 = 2006

2 = 14,100

3 = Failed while turning ignition on.

4 = Unknown

5 = Repair performed by dealer - MR Cycle in Ashville NC got me running again br installing a Honda ATV switch next to the stock ignition (1300 miles from home on May 19 07). New switch came in 3 weeks later and final repair was done 6/20/07 at Razee MC in Rhode Island

6 = 1 day in NC and 1 day in RI for new switch install.

7 = Paid for by ME in NC ($265) but after complaining to Yamaha, (I have YES) they went for the whole repairand paid me back.

8 = Yamaha agreed to re-key the new ignition switch to my old key so 1 key.

9 = Stranded on the road 1300 miles from home. Had the bike towed to a local dealer and they got me going 7 hours later. Three friends sat in parking lot but we eventually got going again. Another day at my local dealer to install the new switch and a number of phone calls to Yamaha but they stood up and repayed me for expenses in NC and got the new switch re-keyed.

1. 2006A

2. 14,000

3. Failed while running (30 - 40 MPH)

4. Switch failure (no pics)

5. Switch replaced by Texarkana Power Sports Yamaha (now McKinnon Yamaha)

6. 4-5 days

7. Paid for by Yamaha

8. Done nothing about other locks (none electronic) I've got 2 keys.

I was close to Douglas Wyoming about 1500 miles from home, and by myself, late in the evening, 4 miles from nearest hotel. Cop came by gave me a ride to the hotel. Got up early next morning walked back to bike, checked mutiple fuses. No help walked back to hotel and called wrecker to take it to nearest dealership in Casper Wy. Dealership in Casper was absolutley no help! Rented Ryder Truck ($900.00 + $285.00 in gas), loaded her up, drove 2 days to get home. Whoo Hoo! good times!

What year FJR? 2006 AE

2) How many miles? 8000

3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever? failed after stopping

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful) switch failed

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer switch replaced under warranty by Yamaha of Cucamonga(YOC)

6)How many days was the bike at the dealer for service? less than one hour

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? No cost repair under warranty

8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)? using two seperated keys

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure. not too much. Steve(03 silver Bullet) was with me and I stuck a toothpick in the ignition switch to put pressure on the key and switch, pushed the starter and it ran until I got home 50 miles later.All in all, I was fortunate for the temp fix and speed with which the new switch was replace.

1) What year FJR? 2006 A

2) How many miles? ~23,000 (I need to look at my records, this number not confirmed)

3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever? RUNNING on twisty mountain back roads.

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful) Red wire pulled out of switch housing, with contact point for wiper intact. Wire remained soldered to switch contact.

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer Replacmement of ignition switch, Powerhouse, Paso Robles, Ca

6)How many days was the bike at the dealer for service? two weeks, ignition switch not available, locksmith added 3 days

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? No cost, repair under original 1 year warranty

8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)? Yamaha paid local locksmith to remove old tumbler and place into new switch.

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure. Stranded, 2 hours before dark, for 1.5 hours on Wild Rose road in Death Valley Ca. Desolate and isolated barely begins to describe the situation. After some time, other riders realized I wans't running sweep anymore and came back to assist. Temporary fix was to cut into the wiring harness below the switch, connect red and brown wires with twist nut. See this link for details. Without help, I would have spent the night there.

1) What year FJR? 2006

2) How many miles? 18,432

3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever? Failed while parked

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful) Will add pics after I recover the part from dealer

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer? Beach Yamaha

6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service? 3 days

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? Factory warranty expired as I owned bike for 12.5 months at time of failure. Western Service Warranty (3rd party service contract) will pay for most of the the repair. I expect to be out about $50 for addition airmail costs as the part was only stocked on the East Coast and not locally. Need the bike back for a trip and could not deal with a bike being down 8-10 days.

8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one)? Will have two keys, wish Yamaha sold a "kit" with all locks common keyed like Honda is rumored to supply.

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure. Happened in a parking lot and left me stranded for about an hour. Zip tied it to get home, which I considered unsafe. However it was Sunday and dealer services were not open. I wince when I think what could have happened, if this were to happen to me while passing or turn in traffic.

10) misc (I know this was not required, but..)- I filed a NHTSA complaint about the failure.

This may get moved but it is on the subject, after reading these threads on ign. failures and all the threads about clipping the wiring bundles to loosen them up I checked my 2007 harness. As far as I can determine my wiring seems to have a good amount of play in all directions, could this be narrowed down to a 2006 problem or are there cases of 2007 failures that are not on here? Thanks

1) What year FJR?

2006 "A" model. Purchased Sept 6, 2006.

2) How many miles?

Approximately 12,600.

While running. Accelerating away from a stop light on four lane un-divided street in rush hour traffic, about 30-40 mph. Luckily there was an abandoned parking lot to the left and no oncoming traffic. Made a split second decision and pulled into the lot and under a tree.

Otherwise I may of been rear ended by those accelerating away from same stop light in after work - time to get home mode.

Haven't seen the actual failure, but imagine it's the red wire described elsewhere by others. I can wiggle the wires at the bottom of the switch and could get power to come on intermittently.

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer?

Yamaha of San Antonio / Kent Powersports of Selma, TX has the bike as I type.

Since last Friday so far. They haven't been able to tell me when the part will arrive. I hope to know something today.

Yes, it's under warranty. I have the YES extended, but would of made them cover it anyway what with this failure coming one week after the original one year warranty expiration, and considering the number of other failures.

8) What did you do about the other locks (gas, side bags, seat and top case) on the bike (do you have two keys or one).

The dealer was giving me conflicting answers in regards to this issue. Yamaha's sales pitch for this bike includes the fact that you only have to deal with one key for the bike, and I consider it a major convenience. To have to deal with two keys is unacceptable to me and I consider it a de-valuation of my bike when it comes to resale. More than likely a dealer will give you less for it than a bike with one.

I called Yamaha Customer Service line as I wanted a heads up on my dealer whom I don't consider all that customer service oriented. Yamaha had no problem paying for a locksmith to take care of the issue. Whether it's going to be re-doing the tumblers on the replacement lock, swapping tumblers, re-doing the tumblers on all the other locks to fit the new key? I have yet to get an answer to that.

This is my daily driver for the most part, so this is a major inconvenience. And I have two rides coming up, one Oct 6-7 and the other a multi day AR ride the following weekend, having planned to take a few days off work. If for any reason this runs another week or so then I'm gonna be pretty upset.

PS: I'd like to add my personal opinion that anyone whom has paid out of pocket for this repair should get Yamaha to reimburse, even if you were just out of your warranty. Especially those that may of had to transport their bike back home, that is ridiculous. This is obviously a problem that Yamaha produced and needs to cover.

EDIT: Talked with the dealer a little while ago. The switch is in and they are getting both new and old to a locksmith today. Locksmith says he can do whatever it is he does today. Sounds like I should get my bike today if everything goes perfectly, more than likely tomorrow I think.

Indian Scout

1) What year FJR? 2007 A

2) How many miles? Approximately 9,000

3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever? After stopping for gas, no response when key was turned on.

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful) Switch failure.

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer? Montclair Yamaha, CA

6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service? 4 days I think.

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? Switch replaced under warranty.

8) What did you do about the other locks? Received the bike back with the same key code as the old one.

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure. After it failed I checked all fuses and finely called a tow truck. While waiting for the tow truck I turned the key on & off about 50 times and finely all the dials lit up and the bike started. I then rode it 300 miles home and rode it around town for about a week with no more failures. I then took it to the dealer.

10) misc Funny thing, when I picked up the bike from the dealer the service manager showed me the old switch and the wires coming out of the switch were bear and looked like they would have been shorted together. If this was the case I dough that the bike would have run. I have a feeling that they did this to make sure Yamaha would pick up the tab, as the switch problem would not repeat its self. However he tried to convince me that I had tie wrapped the wires to tight when I installed the Heli-Bar triple tree and risers.

1. 2006A, purchased April 22, 2006

2. Approx 22K

3. Failed after stopping for gas. When turning on ignition, the guages would sweep, then nothing

4. Switch failure

5. Ignition switch replaced by my local dealer. Coleman Powersports in Falls Church, VA

6. About 4 days IIRC. Dealer had to order new switch from Yamaha

7. Paid for by Yamaha under Y.E.S.

8. Now have 2 keys :( One for ignition, one for gas cap and bags

9. Was almost stranded in Easton, MD (about 100 miiles from home) on a Sat. afternoon. Found a local bike shop that managed to "jiggle" the lock enough to get it started and I was able to get home without further incident. AMA Motow insurance paid the $75.00 to have to bike towed to the dealer.

Indian Scout
1) What year FJR? 2007 A

2) How many miles? Approximately 9,000

3) Failed while running? Or while turning ignition? Or whatever? After stopping for gas, no response when key was turned on.

4) Type of failure: Wires pulled out? Switch failure? Unknown? (pictures are useful) Switch failure.

5) Actual repair performed and by what dealer? Montclair Yamaha, CA

6) How many days was the bike at the dealer for service? 4 days I think.

7) Paid for by Yamaha or not? Switch replaced under warranty.

8) What did you do about the other locks? Received the bike back with the same key code as the old one.

9) Briefly, how badly were you inconvenienced by this ignition failure. After it failed I checked all fuses and finely called a tow truck. While waiting for the tow truck I turned the key on & off about 50 times and finely all the dials lit up and the bike started. I then rode it 300 miles home and rode it around town for about a week with no more failures. I then took it to the dealer.

10) misc Funny thing, when I picked up the bike from the dealer the service manager showed me the old switch and the wires coming out of the switch were bear and looked like they would have been shorted together. If this was the case I dough that the bike would have run. I have a feeling that they did this to make sure Yamaha would pick up the tab, as the switch problem would not repeat its self. However he tried to convince me that I had tie wrapped the wires to tight when I installed the Heli-Bar triple tree and risers.

Hmmmm...............

This is where the "switch paranoia" can raise it's ugly head. Who's to say there was anything wrong with your switch other that it having some dirt? I would say there was an excellent chance there was no need to replace it. Same for FJR Gary below your post. Possibly just an intermittent thing.

I had the same thing happen to me with my ignition switch on my 04 - once around 60,000 miles, and once around 80,000 miles. Both times - Nothing when the switch was turned on, but after cycling the switch 30-70 times, everything would magically light up and be ok. Well, I still have that same switch, now with 125,000 miles and have had no other 'issues' in over a year. So obviously there was nothing wrong with the switch, other than perhaps some dirty contacts.

So how many temporary dirty switches get replaced unnecessarily due to the 'ignition switch paranoia' from here on the forum?

How many peeps, after experiencing nothing while turning on the ignition, instantly decide their switch has gone bad, and get it replaced? Probably not a whole bunch, but I would bet a few. Regardless, my point is people need to troubleshoot a small bit when having problems rather than instantly jumping to the conclusion that they have one of those damned bad FJR ignition switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.