Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTINSTRUCTOR

Reaction score
OK...another "dumb" question. How do you remove the plastic cover on the front of the windshield? I just received my new Cee Bailey's windshields and can't figure out how to get the darn plastic off that covers the screws for removal.

Any other hint on the installation of the windshield would be appreciated too.

Thanks

Kern

Look up at the W from the bottom and you will see two small allen head set screws. Remove those two little beasties, slide the W upwards and the rest should be easy.

Look up at the W from the bottom and you will see two small allen head set screws. Remove those two little beasties, slide the W upwards and the rest should be easy.

Thank you very much. I was trying to put them on last night, in the garage, and could not see the screws. Could not find anythng in the servic manual nor the owner's manual.

Anyway, thanks again for "bailing me out" and not using the word "dummy" in your explanation.

Kern

Anyway, thanks again for "bailing me out" and not using the word "dummy" in your explanation.
Never been in the military, but have met one or two drill sargeants/PT instructors. Wouldn't ever call one dummy! :)

Let me guess, the manuals directions for windshield removal:

1) Remove the W-shaped bracket.

2) Remove windshield.

:angry: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm buying a new W, and am pretty pissed about it. Those two little tabs on the inside of it, the ones with holes drilled in them? Well, they both snapped off; one while sliding the W up, the other while sliding it back down, after replacing the windshield. Superglue only held them on there so much, so Yammie gets to make a bit more money off me. Pretty shitty design, IMO. Plus, one of the metal clips that the tab slides into has released from it's press fit in the mechanism frame, so I'll have to find way to fix that. Might be a good time to trot out that YES warranty... :angry:

Well, I'm buying a new W, and am pretty pissed about it. Those two little tabs on the inside of it, the ones with holes drilled in them? Well, they both snapped off; one while sliding the W up, the other while sliding it back down, after replacing the windshield. Superglue only held them on there so much, so Yammie gets to make a bit more money off me. Pretty shitty design, IMO. Plus, one of the metal clips that the tab slides into has released from it's press fit in the mechanism frame, so I'll have to find way to fix that. Might be a good time to trot out that YES warranty... :angry:
Don't know if it applies in this case, but don't use Loctite on these screws.

It weakens the ABS plastic and will result in you having to buy a new "W'. Don't ask me how I know.

Thankfully, my local dealership comped me one.

Don't know if it applies in this case, but don't use Loctite on these screws.
It weakens the ABS plastic and will result in you having to buy a new "W'. Don't ask me how I know.

Thankfully, my local dealership comped me one.
Nah, haven't used any Loctite. It's just trying to hook, (or unhook), those 4 posts, while getting the tabs to slide in or out, that I think is a shitty design.

I have to apologize for my slam on Yamaha design, as it was not the reason for the tabs on my "W" snapping. I bought the windshield here on the forum, and the previous owner had stuck a couple of clear rubber drawer stops on the shield, (after installing the shield on his bike), where the tops of the "W" would be. The stops were an attempt to stop a vibration that ended up being caused by not having all the hook tabs in place. He didn't take the stops off when he sent the windshield to me, and, as I had never seen a new shield, didn't know that the stops were not original. These stops prevented the top arms of the "W" from fitting flat enough against the windshield to allow the tabs to fit into the clips, and snappo! I glued them a few times, but of course, with those stops still on the shield, they kept breaking off. I have a new "W" ordered, and the stops will be residing in the s**tcan before I put it on.

Bummer... :(

Here I've been doing research to see how to fix mine. Hard to search for info on a part you don't know the name of. I wouldn't have thought to call it the "W".

Just yesterday I noticed that the left side of mine was loose and couldn't figure out how to tighten it up. It was inside the garage, and apparently the light wasn't good enough to see the set screws.

Thanks.

Bob