Windshield Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickster

Reaction score
There are several text topics on removing the windshield, but I couldn't find one with pictures, so here goes.

(1) This is the windshield. Most of the questions are on how to remove the "W" bracket. (The bracket just below the FJR forum.com sticker)

FJR_WS__20080115_01.jpg

Looking Under the "W" Bracket, there are 2 socket/pan head screws:

FJR_WS__20080115_02.jpg

Looking Under (or on the bottom of) the "W" Bracket, You can see the fastener heads):

FJR_WS__20080115_04.jpg

Remove these 2 fasteners:

FJR_WS__20080115_06_Txt.jpg

Pull out a little bit on the bottom of the "W" Bracket:

FJR_WS__20080115_07.jpg

Then slide the "W" bracket up"

FJR_WS__20080115_08.jpg

After sliding upwards a bit (maybe 1/4 - 3/8" -- I didn't measure), the bracket will come off.

The keyways on the underside of the "W" Bracket look like this:

FJR_WS__20080115_09.jpg

The windshield with the "W" Bracket removed:

FJR_WS__20080115_10.jpg

Note: There are 7 black plastic screws (search the Bin-O-Facts for the part number) holding the windshield on.

These screws are very easy to break. You can see that the bottom three have been replaced with steel fasteners -- much debate on using the steel fasteners due to safety -- search the forum for specifics.)

Install in reverse order, check your service manual for the proper torque values.

Excellent, Rickster!

Now, if only the FNG's will search it before posting the question. This is Bin O' Facts Material.

Rickster very good photos. I changed mine out yesterday to a cb's and they now have the foam stick on piece that is on the stock shield if needed.

Jagermister, I did search for gen II info for the shield and did not come up clearly at all. Seams that someone googled it to find it. I'm use to delphi's sites and the info is easier to find .

OK, time to come clean. Where does one get those wicked cool FJR Forum.com windshield stickers?

I want!!

'course I'll have to decide which windshield I'll be sticking with first..

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, time to come clean. Where does one get those wicked cool FJR Forum.com windshield stickers?
I want!!

'course I'll have to decide which windshield I'll be sticking with first..

Ya, I want one of dem der stickers...as FNG I have saved the info for the future

There are several text topics on removing the windshield, but I couldn't find one with pictures, so here goes.
Thanks very much for this. With your text/pictures, I was able to replace my stock windshield with a V-Stream. haven't ridden it yet but once I do, I'll report back.

Yea...... i wish I would of seen these great pic's about 6 days ago.... snapped the bottom tab off...

new "w" or "bat wings" as I call them..... cost $70.00 bucks.......... I gotta learn to slow down!! :angry2: B)

As someone who has been launched through the windshield of a previous motorcycle, I can say with authority that you do NOT want to use steel screws to hold the windshield in place.

Bad enough that both knees were dislocated as they rotated backwards when I went over the bars - the shield broke away (as it should have) - I can't imagine what might have happened had I broken it - perhaps with the edge slicing open my neck.

I was told that I flew about 20 feet up and 20 feet back after being bounced off the windshield of the car that I had my head-on with on a 2 lane highway in 2005.

Extensive bruising from neck to ankles, plus internal bruising of the kidneys and spleen, a bone chip in my ankle and a torn rotator cuff were the only injuries - I couldn't walk normally for a couple of months, but I was riding the next day in spite of my injuries.

I could envision how the jagged edge of a broken windshiled could slice open something very important if it had been screwed solidly to the bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, no one warned me the new windshield would get me a Performance Award!

Installed the new shield from V-Stream late yesterday afternoon and took it out for a test ride. The shield is (obviously) noticeably physically larger which will take some getting used to. At the lowest position, it has really changed the airflow - air that used to hit me square in the chest has now moved up to the helmet but not in a bad way. The flow has been noticeably softened/rounded so it's not blasting at you directly.

The biggest improvement has been at highway speeds and full up. The stock shield caused a lot of turbulence and helmet wobble. When I turned my head for a shoulder check, the wind snapped my neck back. Not pleasant.

With the new shield, there is *no* turbulence/head wobble and *no* neck snapping when turning my head. It's also a *lot* quieter...*Too* quiet, almost. I was riding along, thinking to myself, "Wow! This new shield is really quiet at (looks down to GPS for speed) *90mph*!" :hyper:

No way I could be at 90mph with the old shield and not know it - the noise was incredible. But this new shield shapes the air differently - while the shield isn't quiet per se, it has changed the nature of the noise. It's less booming/bassy and hard on the ears. It's a much more pleasant "noise".

And if I scoot down to be behind the shield, then it literally becomes quiet. There is a pocket there that I swear I could light a match in at highway speeds. I'm going out to test it now with audio sources - MP3 player, GPS, cel phone - to see how much of a difference that makes.

For those wondering, I'm 6'3" and sit fairly tall in the saddle.

Great job Rickster. I don't have a Gen 2, but after that I'm sure I could remove the shield with ease and confidence.

Folks, Rickster had done a Yeoman's job on FAQ items like this, Gen 2 Bin O' Facts, and other great contributions on this forum. He deserves a round of applause. :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: