Instantaneous fuel consumption mode

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While it is good to hear Yamaha will take care of thier mistake they will not be fiddling with my bike, Im fine with the goofy 17 MPG instant read....I dont need a computer to tell me that I use more gas when I twist the crap out of the throttle :D

Has anyone checked the accuracy of the average MPG readings coming out of the 06? I wonder how close those numbers are to reality. How do they measure the volume of fuel used? With the speedo/odo being off you can imagine the reads being optomistic....or so I would guess.

The average fuel consumption on my last two tanks have been within 1 mpg of what the computer said. I'd say it as pretty accurate.

I do think the "count up" from low fuel instead of "miles to empty" is sort of lame.

Yup.. I got the same problem, and I know of one other in my area with the same issue.

Nah... don't want my money back... I like too much for that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, if it says it gets 17.0 instantaneous, does that really means it's only getting 16.0? (anybody else get this joke? three cheers if you understand it). Mine is one of the '06's that reads 17, and I agree that I don't care what the instantaneous is.

Also, I have checked my average for accuracy. It was within 1-2/10ths. I'm very happy with that. And that could be explained by a very small difference in how full I actually filled the tank.

Metric models aren't affected. My Canadian '06 doesn't have the problem, neither does Kaj's, primarily because there IS no way to display MPG.

Maybe ours work right because we have the immobiliser!!

hummm...

17 mpg mode, or a ticker?

which would i want??

hummm.....

here in south florida, i like the temp mode.

i try to keep my speed matching the indicated temp...

81 temp/81 mph.... good. no?

Just read on the FJROwners website that Yamaha has acknowledged the problem of 17.0 readings and is looking into a fix. They say all affected bikes will be corrected.
https://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1214&start=30
They won't correct mine. I could care less about the instantaneous mode and don't think it's worth it to take back to the stealer to have it fixed. With my luck, they would fix that and break something else.

The average fuel consumption on my last two tanks have been within 1 mpg of what the computer said. I'd say it as pretty accurate.
I do think the "count up" from low fuel instead of "miles to empty" is sort of lame.
My bike starts counting up after 5 gallons of fuel is used. Does that mean i've got about 80 miles to go before i'm stranded?

GreyGoose

My bike starts counting up after 5 gallons of fuel is used. Does that mean i've got about 80 miles to go before i'm stranded?
GreyGoose
You know how to do math, right? You can go 80 miles on reserve only if you're getting 50mpg. I've ranged between 31mpg and 46mpg (the first was hitting hit hard and riding 70-100mph for 3 hours, the second was on a 50/50 mix of back-country twisty roads and interstate, doing ~60mph on the back roads and 75mph on the interstate). Thus I can get 50-74 miles out of my reserve, depending on how I'm riding. I usually get around 65 miles out of the reserve, on the average.

GreyGoose
I'll play devils advocate on this one. Miles to empty is calculated by the average fuel mileage since the last time you reset it. Let's say you have been running very hard, and your average is 39mpg. With one gallon left, you it will tell you that you can travel 39 miles until empty. But you are in control. If I'm running low on gas, and know that the nearest gas station is not close, I can cruise at 65mph and probably average close to 50mpg. By knowing how far I have gone, I can better adjust my speed accordingly.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this one, just a different point of view.

I was at my local stealer and they told me Momma yamaha has put a hold on all 06 FJR till the probem is fix.. Had something to do with the vender who makes the ins.cluster.... Looks like you waiter will be waiting a lot longer.... Sorry guys...

Just kidding :p :p :p Smitty

Just curious if anyone has switched their display from Miles to Kilometers to see if the problem persists in both cases?

Just curious if anyone has switched their display from Miles to Kilometers to see if the problem persists in both cases?
How do you change it? I have not burdened myself by looking at the owners manual, but I have not seen anything that seems to want to change it.

From Iggy's Bin O' Facts...

Changing Odometer- With the key on hold the select and reset buttons for a few seconds and the display will toggle between Km and Miles.

Latest posts