Steering Bearings and Races

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRuss

Reaction score
For whatever reason, I have discovered a notch in the steering head bearings/races and have decided to replace them at 30,000. But when I went to order them on-line, I cant tell if the races come with the bearings. The schematics are kinda poor in the parts area, and I checked several sites.

Anyone replace the bearings? Did the races come with them? Inquiring minds must know!

Ok, so either no one has replaced the bearings or no one gives a sh_t.....so I'll answer the question myself as someone might someday want to know: the bearings come with the races. I suspected as much but really couldn't tell from pics and the CS guy at Bike Bandit was little help (he tried..)

Now I'll just plug them in, tighten them up a bit, loosen them a bit, tighten them a bit less, and off we go.

I don't know if they have the steering head beariings, but this place CBR has been recommended as having better quality bearings that stock Yamaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if they have the steering head beariings, but this place CBR has been recommended as having better quality bearnigs that stock Yamaha.
Would be a good source but for the fact that head bearings/races are unique to the platform, and rarely share applications. This ones a dealer only. HD's used a standard ball that could be outsourced, but not the races.

For whatever reason, I have discovered a notch in the steering head bearings/races and have decided to replace them at 30,000. But when I went to order them on-line, I cant tell if the races come with the bearings. The schematics are kinda poor in the parts area, and I checked several sites.
Anyone replace the bearings? Did the races come with them? Inquiring minds must know!
Yes they do! I ordered a set with my first service to be sure I had them on hand if needed. The part numbers are detailed are here:

Steering Head Bearing Service (on line since 8/2004)

Specifically, "Some Extra Points of Interest", item #1.

sorry about not responding sooner. when i hit the board, i always do a "show new" and didn't see this thread until today. if you're looking for info that others have already learned, might i suggest you set book marks for a few of the info sites:

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org

https://fjrtech.com

https://www.fjr1300.info/

The forums will have threads drop off as they age. The sites above won't.

I found front wheel and head bearings here, good prices. Search the site and you can find a kit for FJR.John

https://www.allballsracing.com/index.htm
It would appear they offer front wheel bearings, and front wheel bearings only (unless one measures and replaces oe with tapered roller), or one bearing number fits every location on the bike, I like standardization, but I don't think thats the case. ;) And, as usual, Bouncers site contains most excellent info. Heed it.

I found front wheel and head bearings here, good prices. Search the site and you can find a kit for FJR.

John

It would appear they offer front wheel bearings, and front wheel bearings only (unless one measures and replaces oe with tapered roller), or one bearing number fits every location on the bike, I like standardization, but I don't think thats the case. ;) And, as usual, Bouncers site contains most excellent info. Heed it.

You have to look a little deeper.

Click on: Products

Bearing Kits (Left side of page)

Steering Bearing And Seal Kits (Click Here For More Information)

[search/Order]

Then enter FJR info., and there you go.

Steering Bearing and Seal Kit $31.97

I found front wheel and head bearings here, good prices. Search the site and you can find a kit for FJR.

John

I'm the last one to flatly state that no alternate to the Yamaha part exists (anywhere). My site documents the OEM recommendations according to the service manual and what the parts log has for replacements.

If someone has a known-better alternative to the Yamaha parts, I'll be more than happy to add them to the web site if provided the details (specific parts numbers, P.O.C., etc.) and something other than "cheaper". A "better" (more durrable, robust, etc.) product would be the ideal bit of info to provide to visitors of the web site. As always, proper credit will be provided.

Anyone?

John

You have to look a little deeper.

Click on: Products

Bearing Kits (Left side of page)

Steering Bearing And Seal Kits (Click Here For More Information)

[search/Order]

Then enter FJR info., and there you go.

Steering Bearing and Seal Kit $31.97
Have done it 5 times, keep getting wheel bearings at $25. Now, if I click on the FJ1200, 1990, there is a steering kit at $31.97, but I'm not working on one of those.

edit-it does work if you click 2003 for year. I don't really trust this listing though, not yet anyway.

John

I'm the last one to flatly state that no alternate to the Yamaha part exists (anywhere). My site documents the OEM recommendations according to the service manual and what the parts log has for replacements.

If someone has a known-better alternative to the Yamaha parts, I'll be more than happy to add them to the web site if provided the details (specific parts numbers, P.O.C., etc.) and something other than "cheaper". A "better" (more durrable, robust, etc.) product would be the ideal bit of info to provide to visitors of the web site. As always, proper credit will be provided.

Anyone?
Hey Bounce, Keith the customer service rep for Avon tires told me over the phone that tapered roller bearings are vastly superior tto the OEM ball bearings that Yamaha and all the other Japanese mfgrs. still employ. He didn't specify where to buy them, but did recomend replacing the stock ones with tapered roller bearings when the time came. I guess they aren't as prone to getting loose and causing over sensitivity to tire tread pattern at different speeds. This is one potential source of the famous "Avon Wobble" that some experience, ie loose steering head bearings coupled with certain tread design. VT

I'm not a big tech guy and I am much more familiar with Goldwings. That said, the GW community swears by the All Balls tapered bearings at the head. The OEM Honda bearings are contained in a plastic device that degrades quickly and has been attributed as a possible cause for the dreaded GW wobble. Others will tell you it is all about tires. I don't know...

The only thing I can pass on is that the All Balls have a good reputation where I came from. I'm sure Fred(H) can supply a better and more precise description than me. Fred...the floor is yours. Where's Fred?

I'm aware of the sub for some OEM bearing with tapered alternatives. I've not seen anyone document a successful FJR swap with sources, part #'s and pricing (along with the report of successful testing once the swap has been done.

Once someone has documented something along these lines, I'll be happy to host the details (with proper credit) on my web site.

Replacing the steering head bearings is cake... they are conventional caged ball-bearings, nothing special:

stem_bearings.jpg

If you can get the tapered roller bearings from AllBallsRacing, *that* is the way to fly!! I installed those on my Blackbird last Spring, and they definitely give a very nice feel to the the front end as you work the bars back and forth...

If you can get the tapered roller bearings from AllBallsRacing, *that* is the way to fly!! I installed those on my Blackbird last Spring, and they definitely give a very nice feel to the the front end as you work the bars back and forth...
And if he can get the details on the part #'s, pricing and source, I'll host their write up on my web site.

But seriously, now I'm in a quandry. Are tapered bearings for the FJR actually available? If so, I'll put off the service until I can get a set.
I think the concensus was that vtcornercarver and MotorSWATCop are offering to find out all that info, document a replacement, and confirm function for us. I'm offering my web site to host the write up like I did for SkooterG's most excellent "Final Drive 101" page.

But seriously, now I'm in a quandry. Are tapered bearings for the FJR actually available? If so, I'll put off the service until I can get a set.
I think the concensus was that vtcornercarver and MotorSWATCop are offering to find out all that info, document a replacement, and confirm function for us. I'm offering my web site to host the write up like I did for SkooterG's most excellent "Final Drive 101" page.
You asked for it and here it is. I emailed allballs racing and Kevin replied with the following excellent information for all of us guys and girls

Our taper bearing replacement steering bearing kit is 22-1003. Cost

for the

kit is $31.97. It contains both the upper and lower taper bearing sets

along with the seals.

Regards

Kevin

So, I know that I will be replacing my OEM micky mouse ball bearing sets with tapered roller bearings when the time comes :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: