front axle removal tool GREAT FIND

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtcornercarver

Reaction score
Hey Warchild and everyone else. I just ordered a new front Avon for my FJR and printed out the front wheel removal article from FJR Tech (Dales great piece of work). Needless to say no hardware or auto store in my area had a 19mm allen wrench. I could not find a spark plug wrench for a 5/8 plug that would accept a socket long extension through the spark plug side of the socket as mentioned in the article, so I had to resort to using an open end wrench on the exposed part of the exterior hex portion of the spark plug socket that was still exposed after inserting into the front axle. This was fine for removal, but left no possibility for using a torque wrench (unacceptable) So off I went to home depot and I put together two bits from the socket wall that totally solved the problem perfectly for about $6.00 :yahoo:

the parts are both Husky tools.

1. Husky #22234 5/8 spark plug socket (remove the rubber insert)

2. Husky # 22224 3/8 x 1/2" drive adaptor.

Just insert the square 1/2" male end of the adaptor into the sparkplug opening of the socket. It takes a couple of taps with a hammer to drive it in because the fit is just nice and tight (tell me that doesn't sound good :D ) and there you go. No need to solder or cut anything. You have a great 19mm allen wrench with a 3/8" drive female socket on the other end.

Now I can reassemble the front axle and properly torque the axle. I love when a little looking and using the old noggin' pays off with a good result. Hope anyone needing to remove and replace the front axle on their FJR sees this and maybe Dale can update the info on the great FJR Tech article. You are the man Dale.

VT

Well I for one will go out and buy those..maybe I that that stuff lying around in my tool box? Thanks man!

reposted from another thread:

Craftsman PN 25702 6 piece Torx Bit Set; $9.99

While you're there, Craftsman PN 43324 Spark Plug Socket; $3.99. Fits front axle if you use it backwards. Will accept a torque wrench.

Pepperell

Here is another idea for you.

A bolt with a 19mm head and two nuts that fit the bolt. Torque the outside nut to the inside nut to 100+ ft/lbs. Use a socket with a torque wrench on the outside nut to torque the axle.

To remove axle, use the inside nut with a big wrench of your choosing.

Price, can't remember but think it was under $2

Not sure what I'm missing here. I looked up both of the husky parts and i'm not sure how I'd use the two parts to open a 19mm allen bolt.

Also you can use a 19mm lug nut backwards and an end wrench (haven't tried it -- but read it somewhere!)

Not sure what I'm missing here. I looked up both of the husky parts and i'm not sure how I'd use the two parts to open a 19mm allen bolt.
You're using the socket end IN the axle, and sticking an extension (or in this case the adapter) in the sparkplug end.

1/2" coupler with a 3/4" (or 19 mm) socket. $0.88 at Home Depot for 2 of them, as I recall.

Group Buy!

Beat that!

Hi everyone, when it came time to torque my front axle, I discovered that the drive adaptor that seemed such a nice snug fit into the sparkplug end of the socket, SLIPPED :angry: while applying the recomended amount of torque. Sooooooooooo, I silver soldered the suckers together and there ya go, worked perfectly. I couldn't find any sparkplug socket that would accomodate a drive extension into the plug end. They are machined so the square female for the socket drive can only enter from the top, not the bottom or plug end. that is why I rigged these two bits together. It looked like no soldering would be required but it did. sorry to mislead anybody, but now I know and now you know, YOU will have to add some solder to make it handle the torque necessary. Still a great cheap tool, Good Luck tire changers.. :D VT

Anyone know where to find good 19mm hex bits in the US? I see quite a few in the uk on ebay, but none in the US. Maybe Ian can use his fancy equipment and make us some?

:D

My Ace hardware store has the 19mm hex wrench. about $14. There is enough to cut off a piece and still use it as a hex wrench and a short piece that will accept a socket.