Throttle Return Spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfp21

Reaction score
Just wanted to note that I tried today to unwind the throttle return spring. (My normal 3-finger grip isn't enough to easily maintain throttle at speed.) I was able to stretch the return spring (I used a couple feet of low-voltage wiring, stripped a couple inches on the end and made a loop) but noticed that the spring didn't want to unwind in either direction. There was no rotational tension to unwind. I was playing with it for a while and noticed that when I pulled out the spring with my wiring loop so it wasn't applying any pressure on anything, and I rotated the throttle with my right hand, the throttle still wanted to return with the same return force. So there's another return force in there somewhere that's applying a throttle return.

I also walked back and forth between my 9-year-old Triumph and my 1-week-old FJR and compared the grips. My Triumph is softer, grippier rubber. The FJR grip is comparativly hard and slick. So now I think I'm just going to wrap some hockey tape on the FJR's throttle grip. That's definately going to make a difference. Should have thought of that before, but I guess I sometimes like to do things the hard way.

There are some threads on this proceedure. Make sure you do the middle spring of the 3. Mine unwound so fast I couldn't even see it when it did. I even heard of some that removed the middle spring altogether. Noticeable difference in the throttle now and also took the tube off and lubed and installed the G-2 setup and installed a set of Grip-Puppies. Only about 6 bucks for those. Just curious if you bought the bike new? If not, maybe previous owner had done the spring mod...PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some threads on this proceedure. Make sure you do the middle spring of the 3. Mine unwound so fast I couldn't even see it when it did. I even heard of some that removed the middle spring altogether. Noticeable difference in the throttle now and also took the tube off and lubed and installed the G-2 setup and installed a set of Grip-Puppies. Only about 6 bucks for those. Just curious if you bought the bike new? If not, maybe previous owner had done the spring mod...PM. <>< :D
It's a brand new '07 with electric clutch (California model). I followed the pics here to find the spring. The pics are excellent and helped me to locate the spring. There aren't 3 springs. Just one. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

The bike has electric grip warmers so I don't want to cover the grips with too much stuff. Hockey tape should do fine. Also, I don't want to use throttle locks since I'm always in traffic on the freeways. And I don't mind the stock cam effect. I just don't want the throttle to slip away from me.

It's a brand new '07 with electric clutch (California model). I followed the pics here to find the spring. The pics are excellent and helped me to locate the spring. There aren't 3 springs. Just one. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.
There should be 3 springs. The center (main) spring, between throttle bodies 2 & 3, is the one you want to "unwind". The other springs should be between the intake runners for cylinders 1-2 and another between 3-4. They are lighter gauge but they exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some threads on this proceedure. Make sure you do the middle spring of the 3. Mine unwound so fast I couldn't even see it when it did. I even heard of some that removed the middle spring altogether. Noticeable difference in the throttle now <>< :D
+1 on it happening so fast I couldn't see it happen. Curious why you used a wire. I used a long narrow blade screwdriver; I lifted the hook up and it spun around and caught itself again.

I thought that once I pulled the spring away from the tang it would unwind, slip away from me and disappear if I didn't have constant hold of it. Therefore I used a loop of wire. But the thing didn't want to unwind at all.

Right now I've got about 1/4 inch of hockey tape on the grip. Not a good solution. So after I try out the Grip Puppies, if that doesn't make me happy I'll probably remove the spring completely.

I used a tool that looks a lot like a dental pick. It has a slight hook at the end. Perfect for grabbing the spring end, pulling it past the tang and then letting go. I've done this on several bikes and it works every time.

Yamaha addressed this on the 08 bikes, right?

While they might have made the throttle action easier, is there harm in unwinding the spring one more time on an '08?

Yamaha addressed this on the 08 bikes, right?
No, still the same spring tension but they did change the throttle action, not like an on/off switch as the 06/07 were.
I got messing with the lightweight spring between 3 and 4, and knocked it completely off the tang. Not much chance of getting it back on. I had already let the center spring unwind on turn; letting the spring off between 3 and 4 made more of a difference. There are two springs in this area; I took off the outside one, which has more windings. Don't see any way of rewinding without major surgery, think I might just let the one between 1 and 2 loose as well. Appreciate any comments.

Something to consider before unwinding is that if you plan on adding a MCCruise cruise control, you will probably need to put that wind back in. DAMHIK. In my case, after adding the cruise there was not enough spring to close the throttle all the way when releasing it. Wraping that spring to add back the tension is very tricky. I wouldn't want to have to do that again.