033 Code - Engine Misfire, Down to 3 cylinders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbrmksmith

Reaction score
2014 FJR with 80,400 miles.  On trip to Yellowstone National Park a couple of weeks ago, engine stumbled, check engine light came on.  I pulled into a pull off as soon as possible and shut off the engine.

Restarted with misfire that cleared up with revs about 4K.  Limped it out of the part with multiple incidents of loss of power and CEL.

033 code for coil 1 circuit on dash.  (Note that I replaced all four coils at approx 40,000 miles when 2 coils failed)

I've since replace coil 1 with one of the spares from last coil issue and cleared up for about 30 miles, when CEL came back on and same code.

I then swapped coil and plug from 1 to 2 and started without CEL, but haven't taken it out for a ride yet.  I'm currently waiting on new spark plugs and coils (coils are on backorder everywhere).  While waiting I've done the valve clearance check with everything well within spec.

Anybody with similar issues?  Any advice on other things to check?

by the way, I checked the resistance on all four coils (primary and secondary coils), they were all within spec, not sure why the intermittent problems

Another update: At 94,959 miles, with brand new OEM coils (83,000 miles replaced) I'm once again getting the coil code. I've swapped the supposedly bad coil from cylinder 2 to 3 and runs fine.

I'm really stumped on this recurring intermittent coil code (with the coils testing good).