05-07 Clutch Slave Cylinder swap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pazzo's are designed to bring the lever closer to the grips. They have 6 adjustments. The Pazzo shorty clutch lever on my 07 ranges from approx 2 3/16" away from the stock grips to 3 5/16". That is from the back of the lever to the front of the grip. I run with them set on 2 which allows the clutch to be fully engaged when the lever is against the grip. I leave fore/middle fingers on the lever and ring/pinky on the grips...then just squeeze as necessary. Hope that helps ya.

Is there actually a concensus as to whether there is a significant difference in clutch pull with the gen 1 slave? I have only found a few comments...some say yes, some say no. Once again I am confused???

Pazzo's are designed to bring the lever closer to the grips. They have 6 adjustments. The Pazzo shorty clutch lever on my 07 ranges from approx 2 3/16" away from the stock grips to 3 5/16". That is from the back of the lever to the front of the grip. I run with them set on 2 which allows the clutch to be fully engaged when the lever is against the grip. I leave fore/middle fingers on the lever and ring/pinky on the grips...then just squeeze as necessary. Hope that helps ya.
Is there actually a concensus as to whether there is a significant difference in clutch pull with the gen 1 slave? I have only found a few comments...some say yes, some say no. Once again I am confused???
Thanks for the reply. I will have to measure my stock one to get a reference. By the way at the 2 3/16" setting will the clutch still work?

Actually I'm probably the one confused :dribble: . Now that I think about it, I really don't recall anyone claiming a difference in pull or leverage with the Pazzo. All wait you mean the Gen 1 slave cyclinder (like I said I'm confused and now can't read) :unsure: , I personally didn't notice much of a difference after changing it, however a lot of other members have.

Actually I'm probably the one confused :dribble: . Now that I think about it, I really don't recall anyone claiming a difference in pull or leverage with the Pazzo. All wait you mean the Gen 1 slave cyclinder (like I said I'm confused and now can't read) :unsure: , I personally didn't notice much of a difference after changing it, however a lot of other members have.
I have the Pazzo's on already which I love just for the range of adjustment. I also have a Gen1 slave cylinder which I've yet to swap. I wish there was a way to quantify a measurement of ft-lb's it takes to pull the lever in before and after the change. This way I could document real data on the effect of this change. However I don't have a tool to measure.

-jen

By the way at the 2 3/16" setting will the clutch still work?

Yes. The lever will be touching the grip and you hit the friction zone immediately upon release. With the lever set on 2, I get about a 1/4" release wiggle room before anything happens. If the clutch pull was not so hard, I probably would set it on 1.

Also, their is about 2 inches of lever travel but only about the last 3/4 of an inch is the friction zone. What the hell is the other 1 1/4" at the beginning of the clutch pull?

Jen,

If you know any fishermen living close by, you can you use a fish scale to measure the pull of the clutch lever. Its kinda crude but you'll get a base reference for when the other slave cylinder is installed. I'm guessing that if you can find one that goes up to about 15 to 20 lbs should be sufficient, but not positive.

The basic principles of hydraulics apply here. Same size master cylinder bore/piston, the larger the slave cylinder/bore diameter, the less force required at the master cylinder. You are simply trading travel at the slave cylinder for increased force at the slave cylinder. In fact, it's a linear relationship.

I don't recall the exact measurements of both, but IIRC the difference was close to 11%.