05 fjr abs light on constant

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanster

Reaction score
I was on a ride the other night when the abs light came on and stayed on. I tried the brakes and of course abs was not working. The light goes off when I turn the ignition off but comes back on when I hit about 5 mph.

So when I got home, I put it on the center stand and tried both back and front tires. The light comes on with the front tire. Does not come on with the back tire moving.

This is the first bike I have had with abs and would like some input please.

I figured this has come up in the past but had no luck searching for it.

I have only had this bike about 2 weeks so lots of details would be appreciated.

Also not sure if this has anything to do with it but I also have noticed that at slow speeds the bike seems to wobble side to side. like a tire out of balance or maybe a bent rim.

Hope this made sense.

Thanks

The light comes on with the front tire. Does not come on with the back tire moving.

This would indicate IMHO that the rear ABS sensor is not working properly.

The ABS system compares the speed of rotation of both wheels. If there is a difference, then one of the wheels must be slipping and the ABS system breaks in.

If you put the bike on the center stand and rotate one of the wheels, then the ABS-light should always come on, because there is a difference in the rotational speeds of the wheels.

The fact that the light does NOT come on when you rotate the REAR wheel, indicates that the ABS sensor of the rear wheel 'thinks' that the wheel is not rotating, hence the REAR sensor is probably broken (or the wire, or the connector. or whatever).

Be very careful to ride with this situation. In NL we recently had a FJR-rider whose brakes didn't work at all anymore in a similar situation. Go to a dealer a.s.a.p. to have this repaired !!

Best luck, Rinosaure.

In NL we recently had a FJR-rider whose brakes didn't work at all anymore in a similar situation. Go to a dealer a.s.a.p. to have this repaired !!
Were the details of this incident posted around here? Link?
Here is the link to the related topic on the forum if the website of the Dutch FJR-club: https://forum.fjr-club.nl/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7249

Unfortunaltely it is in dutch ... :glare:

The bike was checked by Yamaha NL and the "probable" cause was that one of the ABS sensors was badly corroded so that the ABS 'thought' that both wheels were blocking. It therefore reduced the brake power to both wheels ... with no brake power it all as the result.

Personally I think this is a strange story which is not to supposed to happen at all ... The ABS should be fail safe.

But still, better safe than sorry. Don't keep riding with the ABS light on !!

Regards, Rinosaure.

The light comes on with the front tire. Does not come on with the back tire moving.

If you put the bike on the center stand and rotate one of the wheels, then the ABS-light should always come on, because there is a difference in the rotational speeds of the wheels.

The fact that the light does NOT come on when you rotate the REAR wheel, indicates that the ABS sensor of the rear wheel 'thinks' that the wheel is not rotating, hence the REAR sensor is probably broken (or the wire, or the connector. or whatever).

Be very careful to ride with this situation. In NL we recently had a FJR-rider whose brakes didn't work at all anymore in a similar situation. Go to a dealer a.s.a.p. to have this repaired !!

Best luck, Rinosaure.
Thank you very much. I had focused so much on the front I had not checked the back after that test. As it turns out, it was very loose. I tightened it back down and problem solved.