'06 FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
So did I miss something or are they still not offering factory installed cruise control on these super sport TOURING models?

Anyone think of a reason why the Audiovox or MC Cruise wouldn't work on the AE model, or the new ABS system for that matter?

I was thinking the same. Here is a revamped FJR with some updates that may or may not appeal to you. But surely cruise would have been a no brainer on this class of bike. I think most of us would have a least appreciated cruise as we probably all have it on our cars.

I welcome it to maintain speed on the open road to avoid undue attention from troopers.

David

IMHO I think that all of the OEMs are moving AWAY from cruise control. I think they see it as a safety issue on the "sport" touring bikes. Note that neither the new BMW S, nor the ST1300 have it.

don't know how right I am, but it just seems that way...

:erm:

Anyone think of a reason why the Audiovox or MC Cruise wouldn't work on the AE model, or the new ABS system for that matter?
The Audiovox (hereafter called AV) should work fine.

The problem -- clutch sense. As you are riding along the AV is monitoring RPMs to produce a steady speed. When the clutch gets pulled in the AV sees a sudden, rapid increase in RPM and the AV recognizes this as the clutch being pulled in. The AV will cancel the speed setting when this happens. After the gear change is complete you have to reset the speed button. With the AE there may not be enough RPM change for it to recognize that a gear shift just took place. Failing to 'see' the shift would cause your set speed to change proportional to the RPM change.

Solution -- VSS or magnets. Instead of hooking the AV to the coil (RPM sense) connect it to either the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sense) or install the magnets on the rim and install the magnet sensor (Hall Effect pickup) on the swing arm. When either of these changes are made the AV will always see true road speed independent of gear and will always maintain correct road speed.

More -- Using the RPMs is the more accurate way to monitor speed. The AV will note RPM changes before you can and adjust the throttle as needed. As the AV changes throttle settings there will be big shifts in RPM as seen by the AV because it is seeing thousands of pulses a second. When hooked to VSS (preferred) or using the magnet sensor there will be a dramatic drop in the number of pulses that the AV has to work with. This *may* lead to harsher throttle transitions or larger speed variations than you would get using the Tach connection. If the rear tire were to slip the AV will probably abruptly shut off the throttle. A major advantage would be continuous speed control without regard to gear selection. Example: Set the cruise for 50 mph. You can now shift up and down gears and your speed will always remain 50 mph even though RPMs will vary greatly. This is the way the AV operates in automatic transmission cars.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
It will work fine. It senses engine speed and modulates the throttle to maintain a constant rpm. None of this will be any different on the E transmission.

It will work 100% perfecto. If you connect it to the IGN coil (TACH) as most of us have done, you will have no problem. If you shift in the middle of cruising, the controller will likely automatically cancel.

Ionbeam missed something, though. You cannot use the VSS on this bike. This has already been proven. The frequency of this sensor is so fast that the servo cannot keep count (something like 18k ppm). You can connect magnets if you wish, however, and those should work fine. Also, that whole paragraph after "more" is not accurate.

Just use the ignition input - it will work no differently than what we currently have. Shifting manually or automatically will make no difference.

-BD

Yamaha seems to make electronic cuise available on the Royal Star Venture line. Is anyone familiar with this bike? I wonder if the cc could be pirated and adapted to the FJR?

The Venture and the Tour Deluxe's cruise is fantastic - very minimal variation. It's a carb though so my guess is it wouldn't work on the FJR but I'm no tech guy.

...It's a carb though so my  guess is it wouldn't work on the FJR...
If it has a cable driven throttle pulley it will work. The audiovox doesn't do anything different than you would mentally. If the bike is going too slow, it applies a little more throttle, if it is going too fast, it releases the throttle a little.

The only difference is us humans have a complex network of neurons and synapses and the audiovox has a microcontroller and PID algorithm, but I digress...

-BD

IMHO I think that all of the OEMs are moving AWAY from cruise control. I think they see it as a safety issue on the "sport" touring bikes. Note that neither the new BMW S, nor the ST1300 have it.
don't know how right I am, but it just seems that way...

:erm:
the BMW 1200RT has cruise, the GT doesn't

Mike

So did I miss something or are they still not offering factory installed cruise control on these super sport TOURING models?
It's $100 to get an aftermarket cruise and install it. Much more expensive and difficult to add more alternator output.

That means alternator output is still at the top of my "why ain't it fixed yet?" list.

Roger that, Bounce. I installed the Audiovox on my '04. Just was hoping for better from the factory, considering they've had it on the Yamaha cruisers for years.

Any word on whether the '06 alternator DOES have more output?

Sure wish I had the confidence to hook up an audiovox on my 05, just looks too complicated, right now I use the throttlemeister and it really sucks. :huh: