07, 17K miles, 3K RPM Surging...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JeremyCall Nick at D&H and run it by him

1-888-553-3311

In Culman,

Don't do big #1

I was coming back from Decatur yesterday and stopped by D&H. Nick(i think) and Gerauld looked at it for about 20 minutes. The only thing that they can come up with is that the oxygen sensor is bad but not throwing a code. So tomorrow night, I'm going to disconnect it and see how it runs without it. Anyone know if running without it would cause any other problems? I was thinking about a PCIII anyway (which requires you to disconnect it anyway?) , so I sure don't want to drop $200 on a sensor that I can do without.

So tomorrow night, I'm going to disconnect it and see how it runs without it. Anyone know if running without it would cause any other problems? I was thinking about a PCIII anyway (which requires you to disconnect it anyway?) , so I sure don't want to drop $200 on a sensor that I can do without.
So what happened with this? I too exhibit the same problems and have read many threads of people with these same symptoms, unable to solve it. Was the O2 sensor the culprit after all?

So tomorrow night, I'm going to disconnect it and see how it runs without it. Anyone know if running without it would cause any other problems? I was thinking about a PCIII anyway (which requires you to disconnect it anyway?) , so I sure don't want to drop $200 on a sensor that I can do without.
So what happened with this? I too exhibit the same problems and have read many threads of people with these same symptoms, unable to solve it. Was the O2 sensor the culprit after all?
I'm still riding around with it disconnected, but have come to the conclusion that nothing is "wrong" and I'll have to buy a PC3 to get it where I want it. Just haven't gotten around to that yet.

I have experienced 3.5K+ rpm surging both mild and severe (07A 13K miles) on two occasions. In the first case, characterized by severe surging, the problem simply disappeared after four days with no intervention. Another of life's mysteries. In the meanwhile, I installed a PCIII and ran the stock map happily for a year. Only recently, the severe surging returned and then became only mild surging after the first two days. I synched the throttle bodies (which were not badly un-synched), loaded the PCIII with the Wally Smoothness map in the same weekend and the surging was effectively banished. Again.

I wish I could tell you something definite rather than merely offer these symptomatic observations. Why, after a year, did the surging recur? Did the PCIII dump some data? Did the TBS of pretty-much-in-sych throttle bodies have an effect? Is the Wally map a work of sheer genius? Have my efforts all been misdirected?

My sense is that, given the erratic nature of the problem, I need to complete what I perceive as the surge correction regime pieced together from this forum's info, that is, replace the Throttle Position Sensor, though it has never behaved badly in diagnostic mode. Like all else I have done, it's an informed stab in the near dark.

And lest anyone think otherwise, I think this bike is a total hoot. All things considered--igniton switch cock-up, clutch drag, and intermittent surging--it's an impressive, powerful, comfortable all-weather machine (OK, forget snow).

My 07 does the same thing!! Surging around the 3k mark. (since new) I've done the barbarian mod and that helped with off the line or the throttle off/on abruptness in corners etc. I also have the latest and greatest ECU&TPS. IMO this is the nature of the beast. I don't think it is a component failure per se. I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is....mapped frigging lean!!!!!!!! When my bike is dead cold, after start it spits and sputters at idle for a minute or so. After the temp comes up, it's fine. (again too lean!)

I've been considering a PC111 in addition to the barbarian mod, but based on what I've read on the subject, I'm not sure that the issue will be completely corrected.

One good thing to report...My clutch finally disengages right away when pulled in. New bike cold engine it would take forever for the clutch to disengage. I got Yamaha tech involved with that one because it is a potentially dangerous situation.