07 IBR-FJRForum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the route published in advance? I'm asking because if the route gets into Virginia I'd like to see if I could schedule a stop at one of the check points.I took a look at the IBA site and there was not a lot there on this years ride. I was suprised not to find a lot more detail. Or I just plain missed it.
Not only can you not look for riders at bonus locations, any rider who provided you with the bonus location would immediately be thrown out of the Rally. There have been problems in the past. (1999 at Dolly World comes to mind...) You won't find alot of information about the Rally before hand. There is no list of riders. It is done this way for a purpose. We are not even supposed to tell people in a public forum that we are riding the rally. I am only responding because I have already been outed.

The bottom line is that the IBR is not a spectator event.

Tom

<snip>The bottom line is that the IBR is not a spectator event.

Tom
Seemingly with the exception of the Checkpoints (according to the Iron Butt Rally web site)

Rally supporters are encouraged to visit checkpoints. The best time to visit a checkpoint is approximately two hours before riders are due until about 45 minutes after riders may leave. If your time is limited, we recommend stopping by twenty minutes before riders leave the checkpoint. At that time, riders are eagerly awaiting the next leg's bonus listing. When it is handed out, watch maps fly open as competitors determine which route and what bonuses to attempt while still praying to make it to the next checkpoint in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spectators are welcome at the Start, checkpoint, and finish. But please don't take offense if riders aren't talkative at the checkpoint. I'll have a beer at the finish, tho :D

<snip>The bottom line is that the IBR is not a spectator event.

Tom
Seemingly with the exception of the Checkpoints (according to the Iron Butt Rally web site)

Rally supporters are encouraged to visit checkpoints. The best time to visit a checkpoint is approximately two hours before riders are due until about 45 minutes after riders may leave. If your time is limited, we recommend stopping by twenty minutes before riders leave the checkpoint. At that time, riders are eagerly awaiting the next leg's bonus listing. When it is handed out, watch maps fly open as competitors determine which route and what bonuses to attempt while still praying to make it to the next checkpoint in time.

Is the route published in advance? I'm asking because if the route gets into Virginia I'd like to see if I could schedule a stop at one of the check points.I took a look at the IBA site and there was not a lot there on this years ride. I was suprised not to find a lot more detail. Or I just plain missed it.
Not only can you not look for riders at bonus locations, any rider who provided you with the bonus location would immediately be thrown out of the Rally. There have been problems in the past. (1999 at Dolly World comes to mind...) You won't find alot of information about the Rally before hand. There is no list of riders. It is done this way for a purpose. We are not even supposed to tell people in a public forum that we are riding the rally. I am only responding because I have already been outed.

The bottom line is that the IBR is not a spectator event.

Tom
As others have posted the web site invites spectators but gives no details. I will be watching from the web site. Good Luck and good riding.

Mark

As others have posted the web site invites spectators but gives no details. I will be watching from the web site. Good Luck and good riding.
Mark
From what I've heard... The best place to see the rally is the finish line.

You get to see the riders come in, and see the bikes...

(I don't think you'll find more farkled bikes anywhere else)

The atmosphere is a little more relaxed as the ride is over.

(And the riders might even have bought you some beer, I'm assuming it'll be Budweiser this year.)

I was in Denver last time for the finish, and will be in St. Louis this year also.

(I also went to the finish of the Butt Lite last year)

It was very cool to see the folks I know come in after finishing the rally.

Any other time, they'll most likely be in rally mode,

Even before the start, best to just stay out of the way, and let them ride their ride.

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE, SEE YAH AT THE FINISH.

And, should anyone find themselves in need of any assistance in the vicinity of the Twin Cities...

Cell is 612-387-4433

-bvw.

From what I've heard... The best place to see the rally is the finish line.
You get to see the riders come in, and see the bikes...

(I don't think you'll find more farkled bikes anywhere else)

The atmosphere is a little more relaxed as the ride is over.
Yup, I'll second that. I rode my first multi day LD Rally in early July this year (BITE-BeastInTheEast). If anyone has every wondered how to really farkle a bike, or were thinking about a fuel cell (or anything else LD Related). Go to the finish of an LD rally and talk to the riders. They are all there in their fully farkled splendor.

I've been considering a fuel cell and got alot of great ideas on how to do one by wandering around the parking lot. Tail draggers, fuel pumps, quick disconnects, overflow bottles. Everything I read about was right there to see how it was done.

And your right. The finish is when everyone has time. Any other time the riders are all way too focused on the game at hand.

- Colin

I arrived in St. Louis this afternoon and talked to Bob St. George another 05 FJR rider and there was one other FJR here, an 06 I believe, with a BC, Canada tag. Anyone know who that might be?

Three here now, many more tomorrow and Saturday.

dougc

Just got into St Louis myself about 2 hours ago.

This is going to be an interesting 4 days, without a doubt.... B)

Biodsl, Ignacio, Big Chief Stinky Pants and I arrived near St. L. this afternoon where we spent the evening under Smitty141's care as he worked majic with his nomar tire changer and changed 4 sets of tires and did some other service details. Our hats are off to Smitty, his brother Darrell & a couple of their other friends who took great care of us and helped us out tremendously! Will be at the hotel tomorrow afternoon.

I arrived late yesterday afternoon. I had a GPS issue thanks to some shoddy electrical work by myself (actually a bad ring terminal) With that fixed hopefully todays Tech, Odo and the rest of the sign in will go smoothly.

Mike

Let's not have any more gps issues, don't want anyone riding into East St. Louis, never to be seen again.