09AE Hard drop to r. bar grip on concrete shop floor. Diagnos. indicates MCU problem as it will not go to gear/shift.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taodow

Reaction score
An MCU is $1,400 and I don't relish buying one to find it is not the problem. Hard to find experience with YCCS models. Used MCU are a rare find. Any brilliance out there would be appreciated.

This is a long shot BUT you might try disconnecting the grip heaters and clear the codes. You may have destroyed a grip heater wire and its canceling out your MCU. Are there any codes showing?
Is side stand up?
Are both the foot shifter AND the paddles dead?
Have you checked fuses?
Lean angle sensor?

Rather than an MCU problem, i would look for physical damage to shift linkage/solenoid or electrical connector/wire/switch etc.

Check as suggested by two wheels (above) as well. Certainly wouldn't start with the MCU.

Dropped on the right side =Would be on the opposite side of shift linkage BUT as you said I would do as you say and suspect a electrical problem BEFORE I would suspect MCU.
Could have just created a open circuit through a connector or perhaps a ground wire now has a problem.This one could be a fun one to diagnose,Lots of things to look at.
I was talking to a PO of my 2007 AE the other day and he told me a story about being in Montana with his Wife.
They were heading over a pass with a inch of snow on the ground when he noticed his right hand was getting cold.
He rode that way for quite a while swapping left and right hands onto the left grip that still had heat.
The bike ended up stalling out and after asking the forum for some input he ended renting a u-haul to the tune of 6 or 7 hundred dollars to get the bike home.
Diagnosis was improperly installed right grip heater wire went to ground and eventually caused some sort of electrical gremlin to disable the bike
.He later found out all he had to do was disconnect the grip heater and clear the code and he could have ridden the bike home.
Who;d A thunk it??
I love educational stories like that.My AE is very new to me and I am discovering it can have a few quirks of its own.
I am lucky as I do have a electrical background and with enough time and a service manual I think I can figure these once in a lifetime gremlins out.

Thanks a bunch guys, I think you are on to something and I didn't think it could be the MCU either.
This is a long shot BUT you might try disconnecting the grip heaters and clear the codes. You may have destroyed a grip heater wire and its canceling out your MCU. Are there any codes showing?
Is side stand up?
Are both the foot shifter AND the paddles dead?
Have you checked fuses?
Lean angle sensor?
Was also wondering about the lean angle sensor, the bike fell from a ramp so hit at more than a 90 degree angle, more like 110.

Error codes showing in diag. mode?
Lean angle sensor would only activate if the bike was running. Easy to clear/reset.
Does the bike start?
I assume the kill switch is in the run position?
Did you clear codes?
Did you check mechanical linkage to shifter for damage?
Wiring damage as per "two wheels"?
Did you check connectors to MCU?

This is all pretty obvious stuff but without feedback from you, anything that anyone suggests is a complete guess.

You need to try stuff and report back on your findings...