10 Best Motorcycles for long distance riding - WTF do they know?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could see leaving the feejer out if you concentrated on hardleys and gold wings and Victory's etc. Oh well, it's someone"s opinion, and they all stink.

Perhaps Mr. Adams should have consulted the LD community (Including the IBA)

I really tried to understand his definition of long distance, but his selections were all over the grid.

He throws in the Kawasaki H2 "Not really a touring guy ? More interested in sport, than sport touring ?"

Mr. Adams your article was on "Long Distance riding" (?)

I am thinking that the bikes were considered in "As Is, out of the box" condition… but the H2?

I rode a Venture, several times. I remember it being heavy, ugly (my opinion) and spongy. I don't think it could ever keep up with the FJR either straight line or in the curves, but at least it had a radio. Maybe that earned it some big points in the comparison??? Funny thing about radios: at high speed, wind noise destroys my hearing and the only music I want to hear is through a decent set of ear buds inside my helmet. Forget speakers above 70 mph.

I rode a Venture, several times. I remember it being heavy, ugly (my opinion) and spongy. I don't think it could ever keep up with the FJR either straight line or in the curves, but at least it had a radio. Maybe that earned it some big points in the comparison??? Funny thing about radios: at high speed, wind noise destroys my hearing and the only music I want to hear is through a decent set of ear buds inside my helmet. Forget speakers above 70 mph.
Old Venture or new version? I had one of the Gen II (2002) Ventures. Definitely felt heavy although I liked the looks of it. Not bad to ride as a tourer but never much fun in twisties or straight line performance. The new Venture is a totally different animal. It is far more refined in terms of amenities but the engine choice was poor, IMHO. Might be OK as a long-distance machine but I'm thinking it could never be described as exciting.

Maybe half the bikes in the article would fit into the category of road sofas and might fit the bill. The adventure bikes and sport bikes like the H2 are fun but LD touring bikes? Just because you can doesn't mean you should! FJR, Concours, Triumph Trophy, several other BMW, etc. are conspicuous by their absence. Pick some bikes with LD comfort, space for some luggage, 2-up capability and decent fun factor. Not to mention a dealer network that might save your bacon 3,000 miles from home.

Very old Venture: It was a 1984 XVZ Venture Royal 1200cc with the V4 engine. Had a drive shaft. I didn't realize that Yammie made so many different bikes under the Venture name. My experience was with a very different machine I guess. I found some pics of it here: CLICKY

Last edited by a moderator:
Very old Venture: It was a 1984 XVZ Venture Royal 1200cc with the V4 engine. Had a drive shaft. I didn't realize that Yamie made so many different bikes under the Venture name. My experience was with a very different machine I guess. I found some pics of it here: CLICKY
Yes, I know the Venture Royale. Mine was the "Royal Star" Venture and chromed to the eyeballs (by the previous owner). Same V-4 engine and shaft drive as the Royale, I think.

3191393322_fed57afbcc_z.jpg

Like the HD and Indians, the old (and new) Ventures had a foot-forward seating position. Initial comfort is very good but (at least for me) this doesn't translate into true long distance comfort. Tailbone and lower back get uncomfortable pretty quickly. At least the Goldwing and the BMW 1600 have decent rider ergonomics (although I find the GL1800 'Wing is a bit cramped).

I read a number of the responses to the on-line article and to say that the "list" was controversial is an understatement. I think it was composed, at least in part, by advertizers coupled with the author's desire to show off his knowledge of oddities like the H2 (as Kawasaki's best tourer??) or the Turismo Veloce 800 Lusso SCS (WTF?). Good luck getting that one serviced in BFE.

Triumph Tiger but not the Trophy? No BMW RT? Multistrada as a long distance tourer? I think I could have come up with as good a list by random selection of one bike from each manufacturer - but that might not make the advertizers happy.

Ross:

Beautiful machine, man. I didn't realize it had the V4. BTW, I didn't mean to sound so negative about the old Venture I rode, now that I just re-read my post. It was comfy and had pretty good power for what it was. As I recall, it had good wind protection. I was riding a 91 GSX1100G in those days and would switch off occasionally with Mark, my riding buddy. About the time I bought my FJR, he sold off his Venture and picked up a used BMW K1200LT, another boat of a bike. Rode that a few times as well. Tell ya what, THAT Beemer was one smooth ride. A couple things I noticed right off when I hopped off my FJR and got on the Beemer was how smooth the engine was, and how disconnected the steering felt. It was actually hard to tell that the engine was running, it was THAT smooth. Super smooth, plenty of pour, every amenity you could want, but the steering was just unusual. Never could get used to it. And top heavy, oh my soul. Once that thing started leaning in the parking lot, you better be paying attention. But to their credit, BMW had an amazing system of rubber bumpers on it. If it indeed fell over, ya just picked it back up, no damage done. But it was a heavy rascal for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am much happier after 8 hours on my Road Glide than on my FJR. I never thought I would say that, but it's just a comfier ride. Not as spirited, for sure, but my Advil intake is zero on the HD, and every 4 hours on the FJR

I am much happier after 8 hours on my Road Glide than on my FJR. I never thought I would say that, but it's just a comfier ride. Not as spirited, for sure, but my Advil intake is zero on the HD, and every 4 hours on the FJR
Traitor
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Traitor
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
smile.png
Not so much. Keep in mind the distances are different. 4 hours on an FJR is a day or two on a HD.

Never had a "Road Sofa" so I can't comment on the relative differences, but.....when my back is bothering me a 200 mile ride on the FJR usually fixes me right up. My Physical Therapist tells me that how I sit on the FJR is excellent therapy for my back.