100 lbs above GVWR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom and I are reading from the same script!

If you're seriously considering swapping to a Penske, you're better off flipping the ES and finding a comparable 'A' model. Much better in the long term (easy & known maintenance) but you will lose those sexy USD forks. I can assist with that if interested.

A Penske sprung for your two-up weight will ride like a empty dump truck w/o bags and pillion. My solution is two springs. Use an 850 - 900# for single and a 1000# for loaded two-up touring. The spring can be swapped in place and the shock has enough dampening adjustment for that spring range.

A final note. The shock relay arm is different for ES & A models. IF you keep your ES and install a Penske, you'll need to swap that with an 'A' model piece.

~G

I do have one question for you. When I am riding 1-up, I set preload for 2-up, or 2-up with cargo. I love the balance of handling and comfort. I have not owned a bike that soaks up the bumps like this one does and lets me take hard turns at the same time. With the Penske on your ’09, did you lose any of the cushiness for handling? I don’t want to change the 1-up pleasure drastically. Thanks for any input you can give on that!

With a Penske on the 09 I did loose a bit of the cushiness but it was a very small price for all the performance gains. With the aftermarket suspenson the 09 went through turns like it knew what I was thinking without unwanted chassis movement. I road the 09 for about 108,000 miles and about 75,000 of those miles were with the Penske. It was really special. The 17 ES isn't as crisp, doesn't always know what I am thinking when in turn and I get a bit of unwanted chassis movement when the pavement gets rough in some circumstances. In short I find the 17 ES just good enough but not outstanding like my 09 with after market suspension.

The stock rear shock on the 09 was not very good. Yamaha upgraded the shock over the years and the ES suspension far better than the stock 09 suspension. In fact some buy a Gen 3 conventional rear shock from Yamaha and install them on Gen 2s (like my 09). Gives you and idea how bad the 09 rear shock was. So it is really hard to answer your question about cushiness about a stock 09 before and after installing after market suspension - it may not apply well to the ES stock after installing a stiffer spring.

I hope you can find a spring and will be able to set the preload/sag to work for one up and two up. If so then you might not loose the smooth suspension for one up and the bike would handle well enough two up.

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Last edited:
A Penske sprung for your two-up weight will ride like a empty dump truck w/o bags and pillion.

~G

You calling my 17ES a dump truck ~G. :) Of course you'd be right! With my wife on the bike and enough gear for an overnight trip it does not handle very well in the mountains on a twisty road.

Solution leave the wife at home - she doesn't like overnight motorcycle rides anyway and is happy to let me go. A day trip once or twice a year is fine with her.