1000 V Strom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwin1

Reaction score
I am thinking about a little adventure tour to Panama and am leaning heavily towards the V Strom 1000. I road a 650 and was impressed with the comfort. The VStrom site has a lot good things to say but they own them.

I have an '02 which I sold my younger brother and still ride occasionally. It's a great allrounder and still extremely quick. The VStrom community has a couple of great forums backing up the owners, too. :D

1000 doesn't just have a bigger motor, but better suspension than 650, if I remember the review correctly. It doesn't seem ugly to me, atleast not when I compare it to this Triumph Tiger that I owned:

greenTiger.jpg

While riding my Tiger, I heard the horn. We were at a stop light. I looked back at a man shaking in his car. I turned front again, then heard the horn once more. I looked back, he was jiggling even more, this time pointing at my motorcycle. I never saw his face, but I know that phukker was laughing at my ride. Laughing so hard he could barely drive once that light changed.

I have both the 1000 and 650 V-Strom (don't ask why, its a long boring story). The 1000 engine makes about 40 percent more torque but the 650 engine spins about 40 percent faster so they feel about the same when you are riding them. The 650 engine is much smoother and more tractable in the dirt. The 650 is better off pavement and will really do anything the 1000 will do but does not have the high speed roll on power and is not as good for riding double. The stock seat on the 1000 is the standard height, the 650 comes with the low seat. Both seats need firmer foam but Suzuki's $190 Gel seat is very firm and similar to the gunfighter seats Corbin used to make. V-Stroms are really fun bikes and can be used for about any type of riding.

While riding my Tiger, I heard the horn. We were at a stop light. I looked back at a man shaking in his car. I turned front again, then heard the horn once more. I looked back, he was jiggling even more, this time pointing at my motorcycle. I never saw his face, but I know that phukker was laughing at my ride. Laughing so hard he could barely drive once that light changed.
Good thing you didn't have a gun.

:eh:

the dl 1000 is so ugly, its cute. That is why I have one. The ride reminds me of the 1200gs. Not trying to suggest that qualitatively, they are the same. However, I think Suzuki has done a formidable job at creating a dual sport bike that does not cost an arm and a leg. The bike is to heavy to really be considered a serious dirtbike. It is my dirt road bike. Tell me you do not love that exhaust?

I sold my 02 vstrom after 3 years in November and ordered an 06 Fjr-A. If it were financially feasable I would have kept it alongside the fjr. I didn't feel the stock seat was all that comfortable but I never changed it. Wind turbulance was also and issue even with a tall cee bailey. I also felt it was too light on the front end and tall and made strong cross winds a bit hairy. I wouldn't consider the vstrom a true dual sport, maybe a dirt road here and there but have seen pictures of guys crossing streams and using their bike more off read than I ever would. Has a great motor and nice twin sound. Road two up and loaded out without a hitch. I wouldn't say ugly but unique. KLR 650????? Bob

I used to have a 2003,nice bike for riding solo,did good wheelies,wasn't the greatest on the freeway,lots of buffeting with the stock screen,bike sits high so it seemed to wander at freeway speeds.But the seating position was real nice,like sitting in a chair.

Off road was basically just dirt and gravel roads fire trails etc. It was doable,but it never let you forget it was a 480lb. bike.

strom3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost forgot the best part... the price. I paid $8200. OTD in Chicago.

The V-Strom is a fun bike. Have ridden one but not owned it.

Check out the 6 bike comparison of adventure-tourers at motorcycle-usa.com

They did a GREAT job of revealing the personality and suitability of each bike they tested. Which one a person would prefer should reflect exactly how and where you'd ride it.

Hey STU64,

What windscreen are you using on your bike?

Is it working effectively for you, particularily at reducing helmet noise? :)

frontquarter.jpg

I put 20,000 miles on my '02. Great bike. 100% reliable. Plan on replacing the seat and the windscreen. Most people want the higher Cee Bailey screen but I had much better luck with shorter screens -- less turbulence.

I had mine tricked out with a Power Commander, K&N filter, and Staintune pipes, and it _flew_. Really fun to ride.

Have any of you 650 V Strom owners have trouble fouling plugs? I have a friend with this problem, and also seen it mentioned, as a problem, in "Motorcycle Consumer News". :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey STU64,What windscreen are you using on your bike?

Is it working effectively for you, particularily at reducing helmet noise? :)
Toynut, it was a Ermax screen and it worked the best for me without getting the barndoor effect of the BIG sheilds.

I no longer have the bike i sold it to buy the FJR.

Thanks for all the feedback. I told my Yamaha dealer to let me know if he gets one in on trade. I do not like any of the local Suzuki dealers although I can't say I have dealt with all of them. I am probably going to Panama in 2007 so really am looking for something that can deal with bad roads as opposed to dirt trails. I looked at the KLR650 but it is not much good for the thousand miles or so of open highway going to Brownsville when you are used to the FJR.