17.0 MPG???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserttrail

Reaction score
I've had this bike for less than a week so I'm hoping that this is some "feature" that I haven't figured out yet... The instantaneous fuel consumption display seems to be stuck on 17.0 MPG no matter what speed or gear. It does show --.- when stopped, but as soon as you hit the speed where it starts reading, it goes right back to 17.0.

Please tell me this is something stupid :p

There is a mama yamma recal for this.

See this tech note:

clicky

You'll need to get your whole dash/gauge cluster replaced and you'll lose the miles on your odo.

-MD

I've had this bike for less than a week so I'm hoping that this is some "feature" that I haven't figured out yet... The instantaneous fuel consumption display seems to be stuck on 17.0 MPG no matter what speed or gear. It does show --.- when stopped, but as soon as you hit the speed where it starts reading, it goes right back to 17.0.
Nope, not something stupid! :angry2: I've got an 06 that's got the 17.0 mpg issue. :glare: There's a recall on it. It's your choice. New odo and no more 17 mpg, or use the long division math thingy, calculator..yada yada and no new odo. If it's the 07, sounds like they took the returned 06's and put em on the 07. :blink:

g

Nope, not something stupid! :angry2: I've got an 06 that's got the 17.0 mpg issue. :glare: There's a recall on it. It's your choice. New odo and no more 17 mpg, or use the long division math thingy, calculator..yada yada and no new odo. If it's the 07, sounds like they took the returned 06's and put em on the 07. :blink:

g
It's no big deal. It just means that the previous owner decide that knowing the instantaneous mileage was not worth having to accept everything that goes with replacing the gauge cluster. I'm another '06 owner who doesn't know his instantaneous mileage.

g
It's no big deal. It just means that the previous owner decide that knowing the instantaneous mileage was not worth having to accept everything that goes with replacing the gauge cluster. I'm another '06 owner who doesn't know his instantaneous mileage.

Yeah, I've left mine too, isn't worth the hassle to me to give up the bike for any length of time to get this fixed, then deal with the mileage discrpency too.

(I'm really waiting until I get 80k miles, then I'll have it done so I can sell it as a low mileage FJR :rolleyes: )

No new gauge cluster for me either. Stuck on 17mpg is just fine given the odo being reset to fix it. I don't need to see on my dash that I get 1mpg with the throttle open and 99mpg while coasting down a hill anyway.

Hey all, thanks for the quick reply. I guess my search-fu is not so good :ninja:

I'm assuming that this doesn't affect the avg reading because it's showing higher than 17? Maybe I'll just wait until the end of the season to get it fixed (if at all).

Hey all, thanks for the quick reply. I guess my search-fu is not so good :ninja:
I'm assuming that this doesn't affect the avg reading because it's showing higher than 17? Maybe I'll just wait until the end of the season to get it fixed (if at all).
nope doesn't affect the avg reading, only twisting the throttle and a lot of city driving affect that. To me it's not worth it. Odo gets reset, when you trade it for a new one the dealer looks at you cross eyed. Filler up, 5 gallons goes into 222 on the trip meter how many times? More than my truck, that's for sure and a lot more fun while driving it! BTW,,,,,it is an 06 right?

If you don't get the meters replaced, just remember to watch them everytime when you turn on the key.

If the needles dance low and do not perform a full sweep, that means they ain't calibrating. If this happens, beware, as you may not have a speedo or tach going down the road.

I had this happen once when I didn't watch them calibrate. Ended up quickly turning the bike off/on at a red light. It wouldn't have been too bad, but it was late night and I had to drive thru a speed trap area to get home. I did not feel like getting a performance award without purpose! :D

nope doesn't affect the avg reading, only twisting the throttle and a lot of city driving affect that. To me it's not worth it. Odo gets reset, when you trade it for a new one the dealer looks at you cross eyed. Filler up, 5 gallons goes into 222 on the trip meter how many times? More than my truck, that's for sure and a lot more fun while driving it! BTW,,,,,it is an 06 right?
Yes, it's an '06. Sorry, I was going to mention that but I guess my memory isn't any longer than a goldfish's :D

17.0 MPG bug on mine as well. Will the dealer fix this at no cost to me, even if my 06 is no longer in warranty?????

[SIZE=36pt]PLEASE[/SIZE]

PLEASE

PLEASE!

Noobs,

Do not ever search!

Do not read the FAQ!

And...............

Just...........................

Fucking.................................

Shoot...............................

ME!

[SIZE=36pt]PLEASE[/SIZE]PLEASE

PLEASE!

Noobs,

Do not ever search!

Do not read the FAQ!

And...............

ME!

rogue, you are such a subtle fuck, god bless you!!!!!

PLEASE!

Noobs,

Do not ever search!

Do not read the FAQ!

And...............

ME!

Do you mean to tell me this forum has a "search" function? Really ???

I'm gonna do a search on "oil" and "tbs".... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

PLEASE!

Noobs,

Do not ever search!

Do not read the FAQ!

And...............

ME!

Do you mean to tell me this forum has a "search" function? Really ???

I'm gonna do a search on "oil" and "tbs".... :blink:
Apparently you have never used the search function or you'd know that it won't allow for 3 letter searches.

Crazy Rabbit :rolleyes:

PLEASE!

Noobs,

Do not ever search!

Do not read the FAQ!

And...............

ME!
Breath buddy, breath. Maybe if you spent a little more time riding your bike rather than talking about it, the occasional dupe wouldn't be so hard on you. ;)