190/55 Tire Wear?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
One simple question for those who have changed to a 190/55 rear tire. Do you find that it wears any different (better or worse) or wears faster than the original 180/55 rear tire?

I really don't care about brand but I know that might matter when comparing... Might be a more accurate comparison if they were the same brand.

Thanks,

I originally tried a 190/55 hoping to get a longer lasting tire.

Instead what I got was a better handling bike. ( Yea! )

I saw no appreciable difference in wear ( or longevity )

compared to the 180/55 over several sets.

The 190/55 will continue to be my size of choice.

Can't tell you yet because I haven't worn mine out, will know more in September. It's looking typical so far. Also, I can't compare to the same brand. But I would guess there is going to be no appreciable difference if you used the same brand.

Instead what I got was a better handling bike.
In what way?
I would like to know also...
There's a slight, but noticeable, lessening of turn-in effort, similar, (but not quite the same), as that which can be achieved by raising the forks a couple of cm in the steering head, thus lowering the front end somewhat.

In this case, the larger tire changes the relative angle of the bike to the road, but doesn't also lower the frame.

Net result is 'snappier' handling.

I have a PR2 190/55ZR17 on and its down to the wear bars and its life was within 1000km of the previous tire a PR2 180/55. I called a couple of shops to price a replacement and they can't get the PR2 in the 190/55 size anymore. They can get a PR4 in that size but its almost $60 more than the stock size PR2.

I liked the wider tire because I found the bike more predictable in corners, seat height was raised a bit and it also corrected the speedo error.

It looks like I will go back to the stock size PR2 because I'm too cheap to pay the extra $60 for the PR4.

Bluesdog aptly answered the handling question but I would like

to add that the extra height also helps keep the foot pegs off

the pavement. A very worthwhile added benefit. I haven't

ground a peg in a very long while. I used to do so fairly often.

What SLK50vsaid on the handling and pegs. I got 12500 out of my last one, plus the 5% offset to the odometer due to the additional size.