1903 Colt Pistol Restoration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 213

FJR DarkSider #1
Reaction score
If you appreciate attention to detail work, machining or gun stuff, you might enjoy this read. A friend of mine is a gunsmith and is doing some restorationrepair work on a 1903 Colt pistol.

Linky

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work. Was interesting to see that the barrel liner was simply glued in place rather than silver-soldered... although it is perfectly logical given the strength and versatility of modern adhesives!

Always enjoy looking/reading/watching stories about real craftsmen at work. Thanks for sharing!

Griff

Nice work. Was interesting to see that the barrel liner was simply glued in place rather than silver-soldered... although it is perfectly logical given the strength and versatility of modern adhesives!

Always enjoy looking/reading/watching stories about real craftsmen at work. Thanks for sharing!

Griff
I use a similar Loctite at work as well, (680). It's a bonder-filler compound designed to fill any gaps while bonding permanently. Unlike the normal stuff we use on bikes, this stuff is not intended to ever come loose, regardless of heat. Very tough bond. I know he does silver solder work too, it just depends on the application.

Last edited by a moderator:
My uncle does this as a hobby. Usually on 1800's era guns. Some older.

He's a retired engineer. Go figure.

So hard to find a gunsmith of any sort these days (up here anyway), and a real craftsman is nigh on impossible.

Took me weeks to find someone here that I would let drill and tap a receiver for a scope, let alone do any kind of custom work. I suppose there's a better chance of finding a good one south of the border, but us Canucks can't deal with American 'smiths anymore (since 9/11) because of export restrictions on damn near anything firearms related.

Ok... rant over... and I do enjoy seeing what a true craftsman can do :)

Griff

So hard to find a gunsmith of any sort these days (up here anyway), and a real craftsman is nigh on impossible.

<snip>

Ok... rant over... and I do enjoy seeing what a true craftsman can do :)
A couple of decades ago I worked with a Canadian engraver and he had a heck of a time bringing 'work' over the border. Finally he just moved down here with a green card to do work.

Most of my friend's business is mail order, though from people in the US. It's hard to find a smith to work on older guns. More so a good one. Virtually all his work is word of mouth, so eh, pass the word.! :D

My friend gave me some crap about my use of "restoration" instead of repair. :rolleyes:

He says:

And to insure the record is straight, I'm not really "restoring" as much asrepairing. To restore it would require a total re-blue and to remove all

marks and dings as well as a total rebuild. I won't do any of the re-bluing

as I don't have the tanks and there is such a thing as biting off more than

a person can chew.

A couple of weeks ago I helped him move a mill upgrade into the shop. He scored a Bridgeport knee mill with a pristine table for an excellent price. Getting the over a ton mill moved from it's location at a college almost 100 miles away was fun. I loaned him my stout 4x8 utility trailer, (dexter mobil home axle), and they loaded it with a fork lift. Getting it out of the trailer was much more fun. :lol:

Picture two guys, two, 2 ton, come-a-longs and some slings cranking over a ton up into the air, then pulling the trailer out from under the mill and cranking it back down v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. For a few minutes we were stymied on how to move it the 25 feet across the floor, then we resorted to the Egyptian method of rollers and muscle. Amazing what thin wall tubing will support if you have enough of them!! Worked so well one person could move it. I should have taken pictures, but the lifting was scary and we both just wanted that sucker back on the floor as soon as possible.