1986 Honda Interceptor 500 modern upgrades, what would you do

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel78362

Reaction score
I have a well running but seldom used 86 Interceptor. I've decided to tear it down with the intent of having it "touched up".............you know, Frame paint/powder coat. repaint all original body parts............. the bike actually has all 86 parts on it. The woman I live with; often referred to as "my beautiful wife" has started to develop an interest in "her own ride". Well, that's right brothers and sisters this is a Win-Win for me. Of course I want my beautiful wife to learn and have her own ride, But if she doesn't ............................... There's sentimental value in this ride, goes back to when we first started dating back in Santa Barbara Ca.............So....So....What's the point to this

..............So, what would you do? what would you start with?

I'm on budget, but I'm able to spend if it's worth it................."and my baby's worth it"............anything to get her riding.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Daniel78362

Be Good, Be Safe

As time passes fewer and fewer of these great vintage machines are left in original condition. If the bike is reasonably complete, I vote restoration. I owned one of those new in '85 and have often regretted selling it. The more original it stays the higher it's potential value.

New modern tires, rebuild the carbs, replace the 'heat isolators' (rubber boots that connect the carbs to the intake), fix the melted connector with the burned stator wires and if it has a battery voltage sensor it will need repair. Replace the rear shock and change the fork oil. When you make the frequently needed valve valve adjustment take a look at the cams for scoring, an '86 should have improved oiling but still, take a look. If the valves aren't ticking it's out of adjustment, and don't use the Honda valve tool, use two feeler gauges instead. When the bike starts to have electrical issues it will be broken fuse block contacts or one of the 100 wires in the headlight shell. Worry about when the two ignitor boxes for the coils will fail.

Keep the Interceptor as a classic and get the wife something modern. Leaving on a motorcycle trip is nice, getting home on the same motorcycle without drama -- priceless :)

You are asking the wrong question. What other bike do you want that your SO could ride. See now that makes it easier. Send her through the MSF course and then let her shop around and see what fits.

By the way you can see from my avatar - I regret selling my 86 nighthawk but she wouldn't get much attention with the Feejer in the garage.

even if the original paint has a few scratches and minor blemishes, it IS original...which makes it worth a WHOLE lot more money than a repaint. just do the mechanicals mentioned above, any other maintenance items it needs, run it occasionally to get it warmed up and keep it safe from harms way. will be a good investment in a few years. and yes, buy your bride something new or almost new and let her pick it out. she'll be much happier with that than riding around on a 30 yr old antique!

Okay, after reading ionbeam's post, I want to change my first response.

Most definitely buy your wife something new and reliable.

I can only afford to pay you $50 now. The other $50 I have to send along with the bike to ionbeam's house so he can do all that work to it before I can ride it.
smile.png

I had its big brother .. 1992 Honda VFR750F-L

Until the FJR it was the best bike I have ever owned ... might still be :D

I agree that something a bit newer would be a better choice for a new rider. Modern suspension and brakes are major safety points.

On restoring the old one I would only do it if cost is not a factor because paint, powder coat and proper bits and pieces will cost a bunch. I've done a few and when you add it up the result will scare you. It's even worse depending how much you farm out.

My brother restored an '86 700 Fazer for his wife as her first bike. She dropped it twice in the MSF training course and now he won't let her ride it for fear she'll drop it again and do more damage to his restoration. Let her start on something where cosmetics are of no concern.