1st cross country ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLUELITENIN

Reaction score
So only 4 weeks away now. I'm heading out west to Monterey Ca. to watch the superbike races at Laguna Seca. I'm meeting a friend in Lexington KY and from there we are heading to Monterey. we will be gone two weeks. We plan on riding Pikes peak and Mount Evans in Colorado. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm planning on taking tire plugs, mini compressor,  all the tools necessary to remove both wheels, a mini jump starter, first aid kit , along with clothes for maybe three days. we plan on doing laundry instead of packing for two weeks. I have purchased a RDL seat and a dual camera dashcam setup to record the ride. I will start with a new oil change and new tires.

If any experienced log distance haulers can think of anything else we could use the guidance .  Thanks in advance

Sounds awesome - I'm jealous, having driven around the Monterey / Salinas area [and stomped around Laguna Seca a bit with my wife] back in 2018.

If you hadn't intended to hit the Grand Canyon en route, maybe consider the Colorado Monument - its just outside Grand Junction. Awesome if you get out and ride through that early on a sunny morning.

There are just TOO many interesting roads in the western third of the U.S. - and it would be easy to recommend a few great ones, only to have you end up re-prioritizing things to start riding 'em all.  

Best of safety and enjoyment on this epic trip.  :thumbsup:

Drink lots of water ... NOT coffee or pop.  

Ride early in the day ... stop early for the night. 

Maybe take some vitamin I ... Ibuprofen for a sore leg , arm or butt. 

Try to ride North from Durango CO (or South into it) on #550 ( Million Dollar Hwy). 

Keep your eyes moving ... and know how lucky you are to be out riding!!!

Yup, Roger nailed it. If you are in Colorado, it would be a tragedy to miss Highway 550 between Silverton and Ouray.  Mount Evans is fun, too. (I didn't get to ride Pike's Peak on my trip there.  Next time...).

A CamelBak or other hydration system is a definite requirement for LD riding.  Not a huge deal if it's cool, but on a scorching day, it will be your best friend.  Take it from one whom has learned over the years....

Ride safe and have a great trip!

Personally, I would skip the tools for the removal of both wheels (mostly the big wrenches or sockets) but would have suitable Allen keys and wrenches for getting under the tank and removing plastic.  You don't need to remove wheels to plug a tire...   Make sure you have pliers or a multitool for pulling an offending object from a tire.  The jump starter you mentioned is a good idea.  

I assume you have apparel suitable for a range of weather conditions?  You could encounter temperatures anywhere from below freezing (and snow) in the mountains to 100°F and more!  (I hit snow in Yellowstone on July 6 2010.)  Spare gloves in case you get soaked - you have suitable waterproof gear (and boots)?

How many miles expected?  If more than 8,000  or so in total, I would plan on an oil change along the way.  Would have a 17 mm wrench for a Walmart parking lot oil change although you might be able to borrow one (along with a drain pan) from their service center.  (They will take your waste oil.)  8,000 miles is well beyond "standard" drain interval but this distance done as a trip with long daily rides is far easier on oil than 3,000 miles of short distance hops around town.  (Use synthetic and don't bother with new filter.)  If your trip is short enough for the tires to last, you are in good shape - if not, plan a location and make arrangements for a tire swap.  Drop-ship tires to a friend (who has the right tools) and you will save a bunch of money compared to finding a shop along the way and paying full retail for rubber and service.  Doesn't hurt to carry spare fuses.  (I bought a bunch a number of years ago and have never used any but I keep a set in my tool kit!)

Do you have AAA or other roadside assistance/towing package?  Highly recommended.

As mentioned above, hydration is critical and Ibuprophen can be your friend.  Eat well, especially breakfast.  (Coffee only in the morning.) I usually have a decent breakfast, light lunch (sometimes just snacks) and a good dinner.  A couple of drinks after done riding for the day but keep it to just a couple.

Hotelling or camping? - that would be another whole topic!  Plan your stops for the night in advance - I want to KNOW where I will be staying that night when I head out in the morning - ideally around 48 hours in advance.  I don't like to make reservations too far ahead on a long trip since you can never be sure what weather, mechanical issues, fatigue and plan changes will do to you.  (Be aware that accommodations near favorite tourist areas may be difficult or impossible to get on short notice!!)  Plan a light riding day (or even no riding) every 4-5 days or so.  A riding plan that is too ambitious may be difficult to maintain but WILL suck the joy out of your trip. (Voice of experience!)

The IBA LD riding link Ignacio posted is great.

Enjoy!!

Don't know what type of riding gear you have but that can cut down on the clothes needed for the trip.  Use the riding suit everyday and then pack a pair of jeans and a few shirts and you are good to go.  Will really cut down on the laundry stops.  Wash the undies and socks and you're done.  Over the years I have learned to leave a bunch of stuff at home.  Tools, tire repair, rain gear, and a little cash stashed away are good ideas.  Gotta have some extra room for stuff you will pick up along the way.  

Sounds like a great trip.  Ride safe.

Oh!  That reminds me!

In one of Peter Egan's books, he and a few buddies were drinking beer around a campfire, discussing tricks for packing for an extended motorcycle trip.  After reading this, I have even used this trick for vacations with my brothers, like fishing trips, that sort of thing.  Here it is, and it is sheer genius.

During the course of a year, you will have several items of clothing that will reach its normal lifespan.  In other words, they are ready to be thrown out or turned into rags.  Not so fast.  Old undies, socks, and t-shirts can be saved for your motorcycle trips. You wear the item(s) for one day, then, at the end of the day, you throw them in the garbage can or the campfire (Note of caution: Don't cook hot dogs or make smores over those particular fires).  As your trip goes on, you have MORE room in your luggage, not less.  Utter brilliance.

Obviously, you will want to bring some decent clothing along too, and lightweight stuff that can be rinsed in a sink and dry overnight are great too.  But if you're going on a trip with a bunch of semi-feral, barely housebroken clowns like I do, they will not notice your shabby clothing.

Thanks to Peter Egan for this great tip.

Thanks for all the responses!! I will be taking a camel pack for water I forgot to mention that. I hadn't thought of fuses that is a great idea. I did upgrade my riding gear for this trip with new Hi Viz mesh Klim jacket and a Hi Viz rain suit. I had a mesh jacket and rain suit already, but one day on the freeway there was a small group of bike traveling the opposite direction. One rider had on Hi Viz gear and I saw him immediately about a quarter mile before the others in his group. I am taking warm items for underneath, knowing Pikes Peak would be cold. Never thought of snow in July! I'm not familiar with long distance riding shorts, are they like bicycle shorts with the padding in the crotch? Ibuprofen was on my list to take. The entire trip should be around 6,000 miles so I was figuring I could make it on an oil change and a set of tires.

I have a question about tire pressures, what pressures do you guys recommend to get better life and wear on a long freeway trip. I usually ride two lane mountain roads around home?

I have a question about tire pressures, what pressures do you guys recommend to get better life and wear on a long freeway trip. I usually ride two lane mountain roads around home?
Depending on the tire and how heavily you are loaded but 42 F and up to 44 R for best mileage and minimal "cupping". If cool in the morning and forecast for a hot day, I wouldn't start out that high - maybe 40 F and 42 R.

Sounds like you will be OK for tires and oil for 6,000 miles - unless you are planning aggressive riding on twisty chip-sealed roads.

I'm not familiar with long distance riding shorts, are they like bicycle shorts with the padding in the crotch?
As CanadianFJR mentioned above, LDComfort.  Other athletic type shorts may or may not help also but similar to Russel seats, just do it once and done.  Buy two.  Wash them in the shower with a little shampoo after the day's ride.  Dry them out as per instructions and leave out overnight.  If still too damp in the morning for your liking wear the second pair and lay the first on top of your stuff inside your top case.  Rinse and repeat daily.

Ross is right ... 40/42 is the best for most FJR tires. 

Sometimes I go up to 42/44 if you are running long and fast and/or hot. Higher pressures = cooler running tires. 

BTW ... rarely do pressure gauges agree, so I err on the +2 high side.