1st Gen Windshield Peeling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal rider

Reaction score
Hello all,
Got my hands on a used OEM 2005 gen 1 windscreen with fairly low miles on it. While cleaning it up, what looked like some sort of clear coat began flaking off. Now the shield is kind of blotchy, where some of the coating has come off, and some remains. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? If this clear is totally stripped off, how will this affect the 'wear' of the shield?
This is a new one to me. I have a Cee Bailey on the bike currently with at least 40k on it, and no type of clear coating has peeled off.
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

It is a coating....from the factory.

There have been a variety of reported cases where some have aged due to exposure, some start peeling when they try and "clean" it, and then some questions about the product and chemicals they used.....and sometimes some sheepish responses that peter out.

Suffice it to say, I've never heard of one of these peeling screens ever becoming pristine again. Either cut bait and buy another that isn't peeling or live with it. OR try and fix it and let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
What are you using to clean it? Coatings used on all polycarbonate shields are notorious for peeling leaving a cloudy substrate. I expect some acrylic shields have coatings as well. I use nothing but car wash soap and water. I never use an abrasive or anything containing ammonia.

You might try one of the headlight restoration kits that includes a clear coat finish - might work???

What are you using to clean it? Coatings used on all polycarbonate shields are notorious for peeling leaving a cloudy substrate. I expect some acrylic shields have coatings as well. I use nothing but car wash soap and water. I never use an abrasive or anything containing ammonia.

You might try one of the headlight restoration kits that includes a clear coat finish - might work???
Mild soap and warm water, with a very soft sponge and my hand, to 'feel' the surface. I'll install for now to see how the wind blast is different than the cee bailey. If I like it, I'll explore plastic polishing options.

There are some plastic polishing materials out there such as Novus (1, 2 and 3) and Meguires Plastix and while these are are good for polishing plastic, they won't help much if the coating has peeled off or is peeling. Sounds like you are doing the right stuff with respect to cleaning but environmental conditions and road grit will eventually take their toll.

I suggested the restoration kit because I couldn't think of anything else to try - not because I'm confident it wold work.

I reread your original post - you have been using the Cee Bailey but just got the Gen I OEM? Sounds like the previous owner may have abused it. I think the OEM is a coated polycarbonate whereas the CB is acrylic. FWIW, I have used OEM and CB on my Gen II and found the CB to be superior. Aerodynamically, the Gen I and Gen II shields are different and CB had a couple different models (they no longer make motorcycle windscreens).

There are some plastic polishing materials out there such as Novus (1, 2 and 3) and Meguires Plastix and while these are are good for polishing plastic, they won't help much if the coating has peeled off or is peeling. Sounds like you are doing the right stuff with respect to cleaning but environmental conditions and road grit will eventually take their toll.

I suggested the restoration kit because I couldn't think of anything else to try - not because I'm confident it wold work.

I reread your original post - you have been using the Cee Bailey but just got the Gen I OEM? Sounds like the previous owner may have abused it. I think the OEM is a coated polycarbonate whereas the CB is acrylic. FWIW, I have used OEM and CB on my Gen II and found the CB to be superior. Aerodynamically, the Gen I and Gen II shields are different and CB had a couple different models (they no longer make motorcycle windscreens).
This OEM shield came off a 2005 and if I recall had less than 2k on it. I bought it to experiment with where the wind hits me on my helmet. The taller CB in the lowest position puts all the wind right on my head and even with plugs the roar is awful, using three different styles and brands of helmet. My thought is the lower OEM shield will put my head more in the wind, lowering the decibel blast.
I've had the opportunity to compare a couple of Yamaha branded OEM gen 1 windshields with this Mitsubishi branded windshield. The Yamaha branded shields don't appear to have a coating, and with over 25k miles on them (three different shields) do not show any type of clear coat peeling. The shield I just picked up, Mitsubishi branded, has a totally different appearance. Same shape, but the clarity of the plastic is different. My lame uneducated about plastics description.

Hello all,
Got my hands on a used OEM 2005 gen 1 windscreen with fairly low miles on it. While cleaning it up, what looked like some sort of clear coat began flaking off. Now the shield is kind of blotchy, where some of the coating has come off, and some remains. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? If this clear is totally stripped off, how will this affect the 'wear' of the shield?
This is a new one to me. I have a Cee Bailey on the bike currently with at least 40k on it, and no type of clear coating has peeled off.
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
That's crazy. I just had a similar experience. I was wiping the morning moisture off my bike and the inside of my windshield started to crystallize. Seemed like sap or something... I used a two sided sponge and a mild cleaner to get most of the film off but it doesn't look the same as it did. I'll go over it again when I have some time.

I had a 1983 Venture back in the day. The windshield did something similar to OP. I never could get it looking right again, so I just bought a new one. From what I can tell after running 3 Cee Baily shields, they don't have any clear coating on them. I scratched the one I have on my 2012 several years ago and sanded them down then polished with automotive polishing compound and got it to looking like new. No clear coat on it. Too bad Cee Baily is out of the motorcycle accessory business. Great windshields made with the same material they use for their aircraft windshields. I called them around a year ago to beg them to make me a one off for my 2016, but they wouldn't do it. I was willing to pay 2 to 3 times what they used to ask for one. Oh well.

GP