1st time removing Gen II fairings - wish me luck

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
This weekend I'm doing a bunch of maintenance to my 2008. One task is coolant change. I'll be removing the side fairings (or at least the left one for complete access to the radiator cap & reservoir). Besides taking it slow, is there anything in particular to look for? I'm used to my sportbikes where I could take the fairings off blindfolded. Hell, my last sportbike (R1) just had a handful of 1/4 turn fasteners and poof, the fairings came off.

Thanks for any tips/tricks you can pass on.

Remember to take lots of pics of disassembly. Show us your success! Thanks
Will do. Initially, I had a love/hate relationship with my FJR. I traded my beloved R1 in for the FJR. After a few rides, however, I definitely love my FJR. I plan on keeping this one for a loooooooooong time. It's a 2008 with only 21,000 miles on it, so she's got lots of life left in her.

This weekend I'm doing a bunch of maintenance to my 2008. One task is coolant change. I'll be removing the side fairings (or at least the left one for complete access to the radiator cap & reservoir). Besides taking it slow, is there anything in particular to look for? I'm used to my sportbikes where I could take the fairings off blindfolded. Hell, my last sportbike (R1) just had a handful of 1/4 turn fasteners and poof, the fairings came off.

Thanks for any tips/tricks you can pass on.
I took many pics when I did mine, available here. Good luck.

I just removed the left side fairing and propped the right side away from the drain bolt. It wasn’t a walk in the park, but not terrible either (for my 1st time doing the FJR).
The coolant in the reservoir had a brown tinge to it and the stuff I pulled from the radiator and water pump was very faded green. I filled it up and did a heat cycle (ran it till fans came on). I’ll repeat it again tomorrow just to make sure most of the old stuff is out.

I just removed the left side fairing and propped the right side away from the drain bolt. It wasn’t a walk in the park, but not terrible either (for my 1st time doing the FJR).
The coolant in the reservoir had a brown tinge to it and the stuff I pulled from the radiator and water pump was very faded green. I filled it up and did a heat cycle (ran it till fans came on). I’ll repeat it again tomorrow just to make sure most of the old stuff is out.
I am going to changing coolant this year too. While I'm at will do a head gasket leak test (color changing stuff). What coolant are you going to use?

I am going to changing coolant this year too. While I'm at will do a head gasket leak test (color changing stuff). What coolant are you going to use?
I used Prestone 50/50. What was in the bike was green (assuming it was Prestone). I've used Prestone 50/50 pre mix for years without issue.

Thanks again for the help guys. I appreciate the help. Have a good one!!