2-year member finally adds a new 2016 FJR to his garage...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC65

Reaction score
At the risk of redundancy, since I also just posted this at the Other Forum, I wanted to post this here as well since

everything holds true here as well (2-yr. forum membership) and, I know there's a large contingent of Puget Sound folks here, and, in fact, several were generous enough to let me sit on their riser-equipped FJRs on the way to the last Tech Meet to make sure the altered ergonomics worked for me. Thanks to that kind gesture and, as well, all the knowledge gained here, I've finally -- finally -- joined your ranks.

So, that said, this is less an introduction than an update, given that I’ve been a member of this forum for two years, since March of 2015, in order to discuss and learn more about the FJR.

It was in 2015 that it became clear to me that a change of bike was in the cards, that my cruiser – a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 – that had served me well for several years wasn’t destined for prolonged ownership. Lower back issues, in particular, drove the need for change to something less upright-and-feet-forward, but a desire also for something more suited to longer hauls, for hard panniers, for something more nimble and sporty with a few more bells and whistles, etc. all entered into the equation. After looking into the Trophy, the Concours, and a few other bikes that were all quickly dismissed, my focus locked onto the FJR1300 in late ’14 / early ’15. That beautiful red color, the perfect styling, the glowing stats and reviews – it all came together to create a lust for the FJR that’s lasted now for two-and-a-half years.

Each spring I’d look at the leftover FJRs – the ’14 reds in ’15, the ’15 liquid graphites in ’16 – and just couldn’t quite pull the trigger on the change of bike. My TBird was serving me well enough, generally speaking, and the five-speed gearbox of the FJR concerned me (rightly or not) as I’d already sold a bike because the revs were too high on the highway. A demo event test ride in the summer of ’15 suggested perhaps 5th as a top gear wasn’t too bad, but it didn’t seem ideal. So, while I had to keep an eagle eye out for bumps and lean forward on my TBird if I caught them in time, I was relatively content with my bike. Until this spring.

This spring I knew I couldn’t do another season on the cruiser. I’d only put around 500 miles on it in 2016…yes, I had some family issues that kept me occupied much of the riding season, but I also knew that had I really *wanted* to make time, I could have – but I didn’t. Too much of the thrill had dissipated in a fog of lower back pain jolts from the road and, okay, boredom. Something had to give.

Coincidentally, this was also the leftover season for the ‘16s with the six-speed transmission. Some of you may chalk that change up to more a marketing gimmick than a substantive change, and while I’ll grant you it’s just a couple hundred RPMs lowering in sixth, it was enough a change (for me) to push me over the edge that I was already teetering upon.

So, last Friday I traded in my TBird and became the owner of a beautiful 2016 FJR – the A model as I’m a more set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy, and the roads I tend to ride on are relatively uniform. I’m thrilled to finally have this bike in my garage, and it’s thus far everything I’d hoped it be. Riding this nimble sportbike-in-a-tuxedo after a decade-plus of cruisers is almost a revelation and reminds me why I enjoy riding so much to begin with...and, most importantly, it's slight-forward-lean-with-legs-tucked-beneath-you stance makes the ergonomics much friendlier to those of with lower back issues. I'm thrilled beyond words to finally have this in my garage, but I need to remember to behave myself on this nimble sport tourer...my Thunderbird 1600 cruiser had heavier handling that inherently kept me in check. I’m still learning to trust the lean potential of the FJR (and breaking in slick new tires isn’t helping)…old habits are hard to break.

The only farkling I’ve done to my ’16 A thus far is a touring windshield (as seen in the photo below), and have also put in an order for GenMar risers that are on their way to me from GenMar as we speak (need forward lean, but not this much lean)…will probably have the dealer install at the 600-mile first service…no torque wrench, and anything beyond the mechanical complexity of the windshield installation tends to give me the nervous sweats.
upset.gif
Also plan to pick up a Sargent seat in the very near future – took a while to decide after reading dozens of threads on various seats (e.g. Laam, Corbin, Yamaha Comfort Seat, et al), but I’ve decided that’s the one for me for a host of reasons.

So after two years as a member of this forum, I’m glad to finally be One of You…it took a while – more than two years, in fact – but it was definitely worth the wait.

And since since such threads are worthless without pics, here's mine, just a few days old:

fjr1stweek.jpg

...and its virgin odometer on delivery day:

fjrodometer.jpg

Speaking of delivery, there were a few issues with the bike on that day, but Ride Motorsports in Woodinville wasted no time in stepping up to the plate immediately and demonstrating excellent customer service by making sure that all was made right. I would recommend this outstanding dealership and my salesperson, Bill, to other Puget Sound folks without reservation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new ride!! The Yamaha Galaxy Blue color was enough to sway me there as well....and I had a perfectly fine 2013 model already. Fortunately it went to a good home (thanks Craig) and now I find myself with another gear to play in and some AWESOME LED lights!! And I like you chose the A model mainly because it worked so well on the '13.

So again, enjoy your new '16 and let's hope both of us put on a couple of hundred thousand good miles on them!!
bike.gif

Congrats RC...remember when you met some us in Carnation!

Tech Day is a little over a month away, make sure you show up with that beauty. They'll be plenty of help available if you want to slip on the risers or anything else you've accumulated by then!

--G

I hear ya on the back pain. I've dealt with back pain my entire adult life. Even riding in a car gives me problems after a while. The FJR doesn't fit my body perfectly, but for whatever reason, it has never caused me any back pain. On my 3rd FJR and I've wanted to try risers but afraid that any change will hurt my back, so I don't.

Congrats on the new bike!!

Congrats on taking the plunge! I'm gonna plug FJRays Reuben Run here in September - would be a good way to meet several of the reprobates that frequent this place :)

So after two years as a member of this forum, I’m glad to finally be One of You…it took a while – more than two years, in fact – but it was definitely worth the wait.

And since since such threads are worthless without pics, here's mine, just a few days old:

fjr1stweek.jpg

Color me jealous -- but big congrats
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Tech Day is a little over a month away, make sure you show up with that beauty. They'll be plenty of help available if you want to slip on the risers or anything else you've accumulated by then!

--G
Yep, that was me.
smile.png

Thanks for the reminder r.e. Tech Day...if I can wait until then to get my risers on, that would be a great opportunity. Even if I can't wait, I hope to get down there anyhow, as I'd love to see what everyone's done to their bike and maybe get some ideas. I tend to like to keep mine relatively stock, but there are a couple things I'm already considering...

--G
Yep, that was me.
smile.png

Thanks for the reminder r.e. Tech Day...if I can wait until then to get my risers on, that would be a great opportunity. Even if I can't wait, I hope to get down there anyhow, as I'd love to see what everyone's done to their bike and maybe get some ideas. I tend to like to keep mine relatively stock, but there are a couple things I'm already considering...
Hope you're able to make Tech Day RC, there will be a lot of "items" on bikes that you never know you needed until you saw them!

We won't be a bad influence...promise.
rolleyes.gif

--G

Welcome aboard, got my 13 from Bill also. Jeremy is a good service manager, and Jason wrenches on my bike.

Welcome aboard, got my 13 from Bill also. Jeremy is a good service manager, and Jason wrenches on my bike.
Yes, seems like a good group down there. Interestingly, I had bought my previous bike -- the aforementioned Triumph Thunderbird 1600 -- at their sister store, I-90 Motorsports, and had it serviced there. So I guess I've been contributing to their bottom line now for six years and counting...

Congrats. That blue is nice looking. I do love my red rocket, but having owned a Bass Bote Blue '05 in the past, I know that blue is a fitting color for a Feejer. I got less tickets on that bike too. Not sure if it was the bike or me, though.

Congrats. That blue is nice looking. I do love my red rocket, but having owned a Bass Bote Blue '05 in the past, I know that blue is a fitting color for a Feejer. I got less tickets on that bike too. Not sure if it was the bike or me, though.
As mentioned in my OP, it was that beautiful '14 red that really caught my eye and made me look more into the FJR. I suppose I would have anyhow, given that I was becoming interested in the sport tourer segment as the cruiser alternative, but the visual impact that '14 had made the FJR the default sport tourer against which all other tourers had to compete over the next two+ years I researched and mulled over my options.

And they all lost to it.
smile.png

I had admired the FJR since it's first introduction to the US in 2003 but I had a new first gen Kawasaki Concours at the time. The 2014 red pushed me over the edge, though, along with the integrated electronic cruise control (had an Audiovox on the C10). Never been happier in my 56 years of riding and have over 32,000 miles on it in 3 1/2 years so far. Several multi-state trips and one coming up in early June.

Have fun!

Dan

Welcome RC

There are lots of us from Washington here and all great guys. Before you send your seat off to the hinterlands to get a makeover you might want to consider Rich's over in Kingston. A morning of your time is well worth it and as an added benefit you will ride home with a whole new comfort level. Please feel free to pm me if you want to talk about it.

It will be interesting to get your long-term comments on the 6th gear.

Welcome RC
There are lots of us from Washington here and all great guys. Before you send your seat off to the hinterlands to get a makeover you might want to consider Rich's over in Kingston. A morning of your time is well worth it and as an added benefit you will ride home with a whole new comfort level. Please feel free to pm me if you want to talk about it.

It will be interesting to get your long-term comments on the 6th gear.
Funny you should mention Rich's. After discounting every other manufacturer of seats for the FJR -- Top Sellerie, Laam, Corbin, Yamaha Comfort, etc. -- I had decided firmly on a Sargent's. But in the last few days, I've been giving Rich's more thought. I've seen his stand at the Int'l Motorcycle Show and stopped and talked briefly once (and came away impressed abotu his process), heard good things about him from others in the area, his galleries look great (in fact, there are at least two FJRs on there now, a silver and a '16 blue), and so on. The micro, custom operations tend to make me a bit wary as opposed to those larger operation that churn out many times more (when arguably I should probably think the opposite), but Rich's comes with reviews that are generally very positive...and that he's local makes it pretty convenient (as opposed to mailing it off to Laam, for example).

But $850 (the price quoted at Rich's site for a two-piece pan) is a bit higher than I'd mentally budgeted; Sargent is about $300 less, which pays for the optional backrest (and then some).

So I'm still mulling it over and not quite as set on Sargent as I was just a few days ago...but the price gap between seats -- even if one is custom and the other is not -- may be too large to reconcile. We'll see. I do know that after a three-/four-hour ride today that the seat must be changed. If I wasn't quite convinced of that before, I certainly am now.