2003-2006 FJR Suspension GROUP BUY!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[SIZE=14pt]THIS GROUP BUY IS NOW OVER!![/SIZE]

Final stats:

Eibach fork springs - 19 orders

Ohlins rear shock: 11 orders

Wilbers overhauls - 11 orders

Penske rear shock - 29 orders

Fork Rebuilds: - 51 orders

Thanks to all GB players for their interest... enjoy your FJR's new suspension! B)

Just got the call from Dave and he's shipping my spiffy new forks and rebuilt Wilbers tomorrow. He said they're working like dogs to get through the pile of parts you all have shipped them.

He confirmed that with all my LD riding the spring at 616 pounds was woefully inadequate and I was bumping a stop. (Remember that I had underestimated my loaded weight when I ordered my Wilbers). He said my detailed break-down of loaded and unloaded weights helped and he replaced the spring an 800 pounder they just recently got in. He said it was 50 pounds heavier than even DougC has on his Dreadnought and a possibility of being too much spring....but we'll see.

I'd say that I'll have the bike all back together, but I'm going through a big maintenance and upgrade interval this month to get ready for a little ride I've got planned for next August of 11,000+ miles ;)

He did replace a couple of extra things including some bushings of some sort and dust caps which added about $30 to the price, but given the attention to detail he shared over the phone I felt quite comfortable with this. This was a big expense at about $880 bucks ($572 forks, 253 fork rebuild + new spring, $29 for misc. parts, ~$30 for shipping), but I'm hopeful to share the results in a few weeks.

He confirmed that with all my LD riding the spring at 616 pounds was woefully inadequate and I was bumping a stop. (Remember that I had underestimated my loaded weight when I ordered my Wilbers). He said my detailed break-down of loaded and unloaded weights helped and he replaced the spring an 800 pounder they just recently got in. He said it was 50 pounds heavier than even DougC has on his Dreadnought and a possibility of being too much spring....but we'll see.
He did replace a couple of extra things including some bushings of some sort and dust caps which added about $30 to the price,
That is a big spring, about a 14.5 KG if I have my conversions correct. You should be able to ride fully loaded without any preload but it might be a bit stiff when you are not fully loaded. It sounds like Dave replaced the lower fork bushings (he also changed mine) which are usually good for 20-25K, I am surprised that with your mileage the upper fork bushings were still good but they have an easy life compared to the lower bushings.

I finally got to ride mine today and it is sweet! :yahoo:

For those of you who have been waiting (did I say WAITING? :huh: ), I just called GPS to check the status of the Penske orders. According to Dave, they got "a slew" of them in today (including mine! :yahoo: ). Word is that those shocks are shipping out today (mine did :yahoo: ) and Monday, depending on how far along they get.

Also, fork rebuilds are still turning around in about 4 to 5 days. And their shop isn't closing down for the holidays, 'cept on the holidays. So they aren't really flooded, but busy enough to keep working.

Reason I called them was to change my shipping address. I figured by the time the shock shipped, I would have my office closed for the holiday week, and the shock might rebound. Get it, rebound? Anyway, would hate for it to go all the way back from Indiana, then have to come back again.

Now I will hopefully get to throw the shock on my TOS AE, and I'll get to see how much improvement I can get before I strip off the forks AND the triple clamp AND the bearings. COOL!!!!!!!!! Now if it would just stay dry here, I'd have it made....

Last edited by a moderator:
Price Model for GP Suspension Group Buy Nov 20 - Dec 4:
Rear Shocks:

Penske 8981 double-adjustable rear shock with Remote reservoir. GP Suspension will install a spring that is specific to your weight/riding style. They will also adjust the internal valving to suit your needs, free of charge. This is arguably the best bang for your buck, and the shock of choice for the 2006 FJRs. If I myself was scoring a shock off this Group Buy, this would be it.

Retail price: $795.00 GB price: $676.00
I am considering a rear Penske shock from these folks. Does anybody know if there might be a small discount from retail for us forum guys? Maybe not the great deal that Warchild put together for us, but maybe 10% or something?

Has anybody asked? Hopefully this doesn't constitute highjacking a thread? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.