2003 OEM Muffler question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read that as well but I don't think it's true. The Partzilla pricing between an '05 muffer (Gen1) and the 06-12 (Gen2) mufflers are both around $600 ea. which makes me believe they're essentially the same (just assuming a catalyst would def priced much higher) and that both (all?) Gens have their cat converter in the collector just under the engine.
Mr. BR
Not disputing but not sure. Seems to me there was a long discussion about it some years ago but I don't trust my memory on the outcome.

Try this link
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/gen-1-vs-gen-2-exhaust.160321/#post-1182358

Well, I'll be... ! An interesting thread from Oct. '14 that does seem to confirm the Gen2 cans actually have CC in them... too bad the thread is old enough that the pictures don't show! I guess my '05 exhaust emissions are now extra clean!! That was not a consideration when I bought my used/replacement cans years ago, only that I get back to OEM noise levels. Thanks for link... that was a good read.
Mr. BR

Last edited:
Well, I'll be... ! An interesting thread from Oct. '14 that does seem to confirm the Gen2 cans actually have CC in them..
Sometimes scares me that I can recall a motorcycle forum thread from over seven years ago but can't remember what I had for breakfast...

I've read that as well but I don't think it's true. The Partzilla pricing between an '05 muffer (Gen1) and the 06-12 (Gen2) mufflers are both around $600 ea. which makes me believe they're essentially the same (just assuming a catalyst would def priced much higher) and that both (all?) Gens have their cat converter in the collector just under the engine.
Mr. BR
Wow, $600 EACH??!!! Hope I never have to replace mine.

The Gen 2 cans have an internal catalyst for sure!I have seen the photos and i remember well this old thread.The Gen 1 cans haven't.Perhaps these catalysts in the cans could cause the engine to run hotter or and cut horsepower a little,but not sure for that.. 🤔🙄

The Gen 2 cans have an internal catalyst for sure!I have seen the photos and i remember well this old thread.The Gen 1 cans haven't.Perhaps these catalysts in the cans could cause the engine to run hotter or and cut horsepower a little,but not sure for that.. 🤔🙄
Humor me but can you direct me to these old thread photos showing a cat inside the mufflers? I'd like to see this. Doesn't make sense. Why would there be cats in the mufflers? A cat is already inline before the mufflers.

Humor me but can you direct me to these old thread photos showing a cat inside the mufflers? I'd like to see this. Doesn't make sense. Why would there be cats in the mufflers? A cat is already inline before the mufflers.
Pics are from the time before images could "live" on the forum. Evidently, those who posted them have moved on and their photo links are no longer valid. The only reason I could suggest for a second set of catalytic converters is to comply with more strict emissions requirements.

Last edited: