2003 OEM Muffler question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norcal rider

Reaction score
So, been thinking about mufflers during my Delkevic install. Delkevic recommends and offers replacment internals, as apparently they wear out. Here's my no doubt odd question:
do OEM muffler internals wear out, get plugged, or whatever, thereby needing to be replaced? Doesn't appear to be any way to replace the internals if they do need to be replaced.
Jay

So, been thinking about mufflers during my Delkevic install. Delkevic recommends and offers replacment internals, as apparently they wear out. Here's my no doubt odd question:
do OEM muffler internals wear out, get plugged, or whatever, thereby needing to be replaced? Doesn't appear to be any way to replace the internals if they do need to be replaced.
Jay
A lot of aftermarket mufflers use glass/ceramic fibre packing and that eventually degrades and gets blown out the tailpipe. They get louder as they age. The OEM and some aftermarket cans (i.e. Staintunes) have stainless baffles instead of fibre packing and they are good for the life of the bike.

A lot of aftermarket mufflers use glass/ceramic fibre packing and that eventually degrades and gets blown out the tailpipe. They get louder as they age. The OEM and some aftermarket cans (i.e. Staintunes) have stainless baffles instead of fibre packing and they are good for the life of the bike.
Interesting. I wonder if a stainless baffle (i.e. Staintunes) can be transplanted into a Delkevic.
Thanks for the response!

Agreed! The OEM cans are not serviceable and should be good for the life of the bike.
Here's what one looks like inside with exhaust flow path (off my '05, replaced with Gen 2 cans due to prev owner mods).
As you can see, just running the exhaust back and forth through 3 empty chambers really keeps the noise down.
Regards,
Mr. BR
FJRMufflergutswflow.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if a stainless baffle (i.e. Staintunes) can be transplanted into a Delkevic.
Thanks for the response!
The baffles are welded internal so couldn't be transferred. The Staintunes, like most other aftermarket cans, also has a separate removable pipe sometimes called a decibel killer that further reduces noise. Not transferable to a different make. Note: Staintunes no longer available, as far as I know.

Jay
I sold my 2008 FJR but still have the original mufflers. Anyone interested in them?

Agreed! The OEM cans are not serviceable and should be good for the life of the bike.
Here's what one looks like inside with exhaust flow path (off my '05, replaced with Gen 2 cans due to prev owner mods).
As you can see, just running the exhaust back and forth through 3 empty chambers really keeps the noise down.
Regards,
Mr. BR
View attachment 1001
IIRC that is just like the mufflers on my 07 Yamaha Royal Star Venture. May be a Yamaha thing.

IIRC that is just like the mufflers on my 07 Yamaha Royal Star Venture. May be a Yamaha thing.
Lots of OEM mufflers are simply baffled internally - a lot like the cutaway one in the picture. Many (or most) of the aftermarket cans are glass-packed because some people seem to like the sound - probably cheaper to manufacture as well. After 50,000 miles or so, they are often significantly degraded and getting louder. My (slightly used) '07 came with a set of Leo Vince cans and I took them off in favor of the OEM because my preference is for quiet. My (slightly used) '11 came with a set of Staintunes on it and I have no intention of removing them. Mostly because I prefer the appearance.

My (slightly used) '07 came with a set of Leo Vince cans and I took them off in favor of the OEM because my preference is for quiet.
Hi RossKean, My '06 came with a set of Leo Vince Titanium cans mounted too, but the original mufflers also were included. I like the sound of the LV cans - they are barely used as the bike only has 8K on it now. However, if down the road the LV cans get will get much louder, I will want to switch them out with the original pipes. Right now the bike is running a PCIII, that is no doubt has been mapped with the K&N filter and Leo Vince exhaust setup. I am wondering if I would need to change the mapping when I re-mount the original exhausts. Any thoughts?

Hi RossKean, My '06 came with a set of Leo Vince Titanium cans mounted too, but the original mufflers also were included. I like the sound of the LV cans - they are barely used as the bike only has 8K on it now. However, if down the road the LV cans get will get much louder, I will want to switch them out with the original pipes. Right now the bike is running a PCIII, that is no doubt has been mapped with the K&N filter and Leo Vince exhaust setup. I am wondering if I would need to change the mapping when I re-mount the original exhausts. Any thoughts?
In my opinion, there will be little or no difference in the PC tuning with the K&N vs the OEM filter or the Leo Vince cans vs the regular mufflers. Not zero difference but I doubt you will notice it. I had both K&N and the LV (as well as a PC III) on my '07 and never had any issues when I got rid of both. This stuff can make a bigger difference with a carbed bike but not really that much with a modern FI engine.

I noticed the LV getting noisier at 40-50,000 miles. Still tolerable but I preferred the quiet of the original exhaust. I don't think the K&N filters as well as the OEM and didn't see any point in keeping it on the bike. I don't ride much in dusty conditions and find it is sufficient to blow out the filter with compressed air maybe every 15,000 miles or so and change it when it looks dirty after the compressed air - 45,000 miles or more. Depends on your riding environment. Sold the '07 with 185,000 miles - still ran perfectly and didn't use a drop of oil between changes.

Note: I eventually got rid of the PC III as well. The Power Commander definitely improved the snatchy throttle but was detrimental to fuel mileage. Mileage probably improved 10-15% when I pulled it and I quickly got used to the throttle issues. Later Gen II FJRs were not nearly as bad as the '06 to '08. I suspect if you could find an ECU for a later gen II ('10-'12), you would find little need for the PC. My 2011 is just fine without any fuelling changes.

@RossKean, thank you so much for sharing your experience and thoughts. I appreciate it. My bike came with the PCIII, and I can confirm that the mileage I get on the '06 is noticeably lower than what I got from my '03 that did not have it. I am not overly concerned about the mileage discrepancy while riding locally, but on 1000+ mile trips it will make a difference for scheduling fuel stops. For now I will keep the setup as-is - I do like the smoother throttle response, and the sound of the LV cans (although the later may change if they get much louder).

Regards,
Mr. BR
View attachment 1001
Should have read this before I posted another muffler question about 10 minutes ago. This cutaway totally answers my questions. Thanks for the dissection! I'll try and delete my other post now.

When I bought my '05 back in early 2014, the previous owner had give the cans the "trooper mod" which produces a bit more noise. However, I did not like it and quickly found a set of clean Gen 2 cans from another forum member (or Ebay, don't recall). I offered up the modified cans to anyone who wanted them but no takers which then led to their dissection...
Mr. BR

When I bought my '05 back in early 2014, the previous owner had give the cans the "trooper mod" which produces a bit more noise. However, I did not like it and quickly found a set of clean Gen 2 cans from another forum member (or Ebay, don't recall). I offered up the modified cans to anyone who wanted them but no takers which then led to their dissection...
Mr. BR
What is the "trooper mod"?

Mr. BR
Never mind. It's an actual thing! Googled it.

Had a used 09 with trooper mod Resulted in idle searching poor throttle response and inability to achieve throttle body balance. Tapped the holes drilled in the rear of the mufflers with black oxide cap screws and never looked back. All the problems with the response were corrected and the bike ran great! Drilling airboxs and cans are things of the past and cause nothing but problems on modern motorcycles. If Yamaha could get more ponies by drilling hole don’t you think they would have already done it?

Mr. BR
Mr BR.
"Gen 2 cans" just registered in my little pea brain. Gen 2 cans fit without mods obviously. What are the differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2 mufflers?

I don't think there is any real difference between Gen1 and Gen2 cans.... even the Yam Part Numbers are almost the same.
The end cap design does change a little bit in the newer modes (Gen3+) but I'm guessing that is just a cosmetic thing and the internals are likely still the same.
Regards,
Mr. BR

I don't think there is any real difference between Gen1 and Gen2 cans.... even the Yam Part Numbers are almost the same.
The end cap design does change a little bit in the newer modes (Gen3+) but I'm guessing that is just a cosmetic thing and the internals are likely still the same.
Regards,
Mr. BR
Not sure on the details but I thought the Gen II had an internal catalyst in addition to the one in the exhaust. I may be mis-remembering...

I've read that as well but I don't think it's true. The Partzilla pricing between an '05 muffer (Gen1) and the 06-12 (Gen2) mufflers are both around $600 ea. which makes me believe they're essentially the same (just assuming a catalyst would def priced much higher) and that both (all?) Gens have their cat converter in the collector just under the engine.
Mr. BR