2003 - Rear caliper cracked (UK)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robster

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just had the annual MoT Test on my 2003 Non-ABS and its failed due to a crack across the (rearmost) threaded mounting hole for the slider bolt. Does anyone know if there are any other model Yamaha calipers that fit the FJR as they're a bit hard to find in England?

Many Thanks,

Robster.

Suggest you try contacting the guys at the FJ/FJR Club

They carry reconditioned spares from time to time but if not may be able to point you in the right direction.

They have a new caliper for £299.00!............

PS I just noticed this comment at the bottom of the listing "Rear caliper mounts easily cracked if overtightened by overzealous owners and tyre fitters. Obtaining a good second hand unit is as rare as Unicorn urine".

Using the part number 3P6-2580W-00 I checked on a number of sales outlets and it looks like it fits all models of FJR but nothing else is listed..........

Last edited by a moderator:
A skilled fabricator could repair that caliper by draining and degreasing it, drilling I/8" holes at the ends of the crack, running a Dremel along the crack to create a groove, then brazing it up with brass brazing rod. After it air cools, run a tap through any threaded holes to clean them out.

The European models are somewhat different from North America, and an interesting discussion here on compatibility: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147859%C2

v65d82.png

Would it help if someone here helped you purchase off U.S. Ebay? $17.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-Yamaha-FJR1300-FJR-1300-Rear-Brake-Caliper-Mounting-Bracket-Mount-OEM-/141058079156?hash=item20d7b779b4:g:laEAAMXQS6pRw0AV&vxp=mtr

Assuming the crack is in part number 5 from the above diagram, there is one here on e-bay for £30.79..........

There seem to be lots of others. They refer to them as brake caliper hangers.

Thanks for all your replies, I'm going to follow up on a couple of the suggestions.

Donal, the crack is in the piston housing where No. 1 screws through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your assistance guys - had a good look around the net and a 2nd hand caliper and carrier on its way from motorparts-online in the Netherlands for 70 euros (around $80US). Hopefully mobile again soon
smile.png