2003 Tick

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satori88

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Yamaha Customer Service. The Rep. was not familiar w/ the Ticking Issue. I referenced TSI # 02017 as the problem with my bike. She talked with the service Tech who issues the TSB's. When she came back to the phone she mentioned the only recall to the bike was the TPS replacement. When I asked if the tech. was familiar with the worn exhaust valve guides she did a little laugh and offered me the following: Yamaha will pay for the engine tear down for diagnosis of the problem. I would be responsible for any replacement repairs. I asked, “but what if the ticking is from the documented TSI, worn exhaust valve guides, would Yamaha cover the repair 100%?” She said since the bike is so far out of warranty and I am the 3rd owner, Yamaha will not cover ANY repair 100%. I asked for a supervisor and she said they would give me the same info. I told her I would call back. Now the questions:

1) Why did she laugh when I asked what the service tech said about the worn guides?

2) Should I take them up on the free tear down? Sounds like a no brainer but what are the hidden costs?

3) Is it time to play hard ball and press the 100% free repair?

Muchas Grassy, ~Chris

You should probably detail why you think it's a ticker first. We try and not skip over that detail and presume anything. How do you know it's a ticker?

I would suggest you need to start using the Search button on the board and search for terms like +excessive +valve +guide +wear to become better qualified to talk on the issue we all know as "the tick". I believe the TSI you reference was never in North America IIRC....so won't exist in Yamaha's Customer Service language. It's very much a charged issue and one really should be fully informed on the subject before headiing off to Yamaha. There are SO MANY threads on this conversation.

I'll give you one preview that doesn't require an engine tear down to confirm a ticker. Dropping the header and looking for excessive oil...particularly in #1 and #2 cylinders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iggy posted while I was typing, sorry for redundant comments.

1. Some people laugh when they are nervous.

2. I was told they would only pay for tear down if a warranty issue was found.

Usually in all automotive business, if no trouble found, the owner gets the bill.

In my experience, that should always be clear before any work begins.

3. Don't know. 3rd owner, way out of warranty. You are at their mercy and good graces.

Anything they do is in the name of good customer service, make no mistake.

Your hardball has expired.

Although they have been very cooperative after the first few cases were documented.

Are you consuming oil? (late stage symptom)

Did you pull the exhaust header?

Did you find oil deposits in any exhaust ports? (especially cylinder #1?)

That is proof positive of valve guide wear without a teardown.

And not cam tensioner or sloppy valve adjustment.

From your comments, we'll assume you've done some homework on this forum.

An experienced service tech will understand exactly what this points to.

By the time you get to teardown and measurement, you should only be confirming what you already know.

Total cost of valve/valve guide replacement is about $900.

If they pay for a third of that, it beats a sharp stick in the eye.

In your case, best bet for valve guide warranty replacement is for an experienced dealer to contact Yamaha for you. If they say they have seen it before and it was covered by warranty last time they did the job, you are most likely to get a helping hand. (this is only my opinion)

Good luck. We all watch with interest. Don't forget, the dealers always forget to buy new head bolts. They are one time use only because they stretch during installation. ;) So they need to be on the parts list.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not positive but it seems to me that i've read about yamaha covering re-tickers that are out of warranty. my advise is to educate yourself on the ticking issue through the forums. hardball might not be the word for it, but i would definately pursue it. you've got nothing to lose and plenty to gain. you've got to get the dealer on your side though. they love warranty work.

good luck,

let us know how it turns out.

derek

The Tick #2 sond bite is gone. It was there before my initail post, but now, a few hours later, gone from the host site. Can someone please repost it? It appears to be a critical tool.

Many Thanks! (also, admin, could you please delete my previous "empty" reply?)

The Tick #2 sond bite is gone. It was there before my initail post, but now, a few hours later, gone from the host site. Can someone please repost it? It appears to be a critical tool. Many Thanks! (also, admin, could you please delete my previous "empty" reply?)
Chris -- Yesterday began process to have repair done on my '03. They told me the same thing. Partial payment if the DEALER thought it was worn guides etc... Advised me to bring it in, and we'll go from there. I'm the third owner also. Keep in touch. -

The Tick #2 sond bite is gone. It was there before my initail post, but now, a few hours later, gone from the host site. Can someone please repost it? It appears to be a critical tool. Many Thanks! (also, admin, could you please delete my previous "empty" reply?)
I have this--

You'd need to include the link you're referring to to figure out what's gone.

Also, it would still help why you think you have a ticker.

FJRMGM Askes how many miles...

Purchased in July with 14,500. The tick was noticed a few days later. Now I have 18,000 miles on it.

The Tick #2 sond bite is gone. It was there before my initail post, but now, a few hours later, gone from the host site. Can someone please repost it? It appears to be a critical tool.

Many Thanks! (also, admin, could you please delete my previous "empty" reply?)
I have this--

When I click on "ticker2" from FJR1300.info, It routes me to: https://media.putfile.com/Ticking2

I plan to give you a more concrete answer weather or not it is a ticker. THe previous owner is a cool fellow with a bike lift and 5 cycles in his garage. I will ask him if he discovered a ticker. Also, I plan to pull the header on 1 and 2. But to directly answer your question on why I THINK it is a ticker... there is a ticking noise that varies in loudness. It is also intermintent. I had an x-gold winger listen to it, his reply was "that doesn't sound good, something sounds sloppy in there. I have had it to the shop twice for a tech to listen, they said it is ok, FJR's are known for that sound. After these replies I took it out and ran it hard, pulled over at a gas station, took the RPMs up to 3-4K, nothing, but at idle there it is. Tick, tick, tick. Bottom line: there is an abnormal ticking sound coming from the motor. This is the reason I started looking on-line. Now I see a certain ticking noise is not good.

I plan to give you a more concrete answer weather or not it is a ticker. ...but to directly answer your question on why I THINK it is a ticker... there is a ticking noise that varies in loudness. It is also intermintent. ....
I think your response helps. You're not assuming.....you're researching and trying to build a case. That's good.

Having heard a fair number of confirmed tickers the metallic steak knife analogy is the best one I've found for tickers other than ones in the very early stages.

I remember the audio file, but the link seemed to have disappeared. I remember a Holeshot header video and also a recording a member of the forum made....but can't find it. If it gets found again, somebody PM and I'll try and actually put a copy on our server here.

Latest posts