2004 FJR Engine heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first FJR was an 04. Heat on the ole crotch was pretty noticeable in the summer here in Texas. I did the heat shield fix under the gas tank, Couldn't tell a lot of difference. Probably would have tried some more fixes, but I crashed it in 2008 and bought a new 08 FJR. No heat issues with it.

GP

Update:  Bike sat on trailer until Saturday-  then we had a forecasted stretch of highs in 40/50's, sun, and most salt/sand off roads.

800 miles since then.  Took off work Tuesday, the nicest day, wound up in Catskills so called out another day, no toothbrush or nada.

Engine is phenomenal and will get me tickets.  BMW/Connie had the 6th gear, so it's was more mellow speed.  FJR, you're already in power band when you think of cranking it; 45ish more hp and 75ish less pounds, yikes.  Very good handling, new tires are always nice...the boxer felt more planted in the sweepers, with the JFR lighter and snapier.  I think the gyrosycopic thing with boxers is at play here.

Have a Puig fairing on order, it's currently a 21 " something with a top wing.  The Puig looks a bit wider at bottom, with a lip to throw wind over head.  On way back, the rain that was 40% in the afternoon when I checked at 1300 Tuesday and decided to keep heading south instead of north and home, it decided to drizzle/light rain most of the 130 miles back from Cooperstown.  That's where the big guys protection comes in, although the fjr isn't terrible.  I was tucking my legs close to the tank anyway to grab that heat we mentioned above.  Didn't really notice the first rides as I wear leather chaps.  Hooked up heated liner electric lead, left liner home cuz it was nice when I left for a day ride.  Derp.

Highway pegs I put on, had to get new bolts and washers as spacers to get it out 3/4" and  my lower legs still hit on the one fairing piece that sticks out.  I'm going to get the seat foam molded a bit, that might have me a bit lower and will help.  Peg lower kit from Murph's is also on order.  Gotta run, thanks.  Nice bike.

Trouble with living in upstate NY, those long winters (I grew up in Syracuse-and by the way, how 'bout those Orangemen?  At least so far.)

Anyway, I had the same problem with that ridge in the fairing rubbing uncomfortably against my lower leg when I used the highway pegs, so I got a set of extenders that put them out 2-3 inches farther.  These were from Kuryakin, and there are also others.  And BTW, they never scraped in a turn, even if the main pegs did.