2005 FJR Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjb600

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum. I currently have a 1994 VMax and am finding out it lacks some things for touring. I would like better suspension, more fuel range, and some type of storage-bags, etc. There is a 2005 FJR for sale locally that caught my attention. I rode it yesterday and liked it a lot. My right hand was numb after about 10 minutes, but I think I can fix that. The seller wants $3000 or best offer. The bike has 36,000 miles and is in very good condition. Anything I should look out for before I make an offer?

cbj,

The Gen1 FJRs may need a new Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT).  Look for a blue-dot or green-dot CCT; no dot means you need a new CCT.  You can do the job yourself, if you follow the good  tech write-ups, or have it done by a shop. 

The Gen1s also had heat issues, as in cooking your calves, but there are some fixes for that, also.  Good boots and/or leg armor will help with that.  Take a long test drive, and decide for yourself. 

There was a long-ago issue with bad valve guides, a fairly rare but real issue, which Yamaha mostly fixed, but there may be some noisy ones still out there.   We called them "tickers."  If the head was Yamaha-repaired, it will be fine.  Do not ignore weird-noisy valves; just find another bike. 

At that mileage, the valve clearances should have been check/shimmed already, but it's a pricey job, if it has not been done yet.  I would want to see the maintenance records, for those head issues. 

FWIW, that is low mileage on an FJR, just barely broken in.

If its an abs bike make sure its working. 

I put almost 100000 miles on mine. I still had the same cct and valve guides that came from the factory.  The bike ran just as strong as the day I got it.

Hello, I am new to the forum. I currently have a 1994 VMax and am finding out it lacks some things for touring. I would like better suspension, more fuel range, and some type of storage-bags, etc. There is a 2005 FJR for sale locally that caught my attention. I rode it yesterday and liked it a lot. My right hand was numb after about 10 minutes, but I think I can fix that. The seller wants $3000 or best offer. The bike has 36,000 miles and is in very good condition. Anything I should look out for before I make an offer?
There's a 2013 with just a hair more mileage than that 2005 for only $2800 more on the For Sale section.  That '05 is barely broken in and will run a long time. However, If it was me and I had the extra cash, I'd go for the '13.