2005 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrious

Reaction score
After trading a 2009 last year for no good reason I just picked up a 2005 FJR with 19,xxx miles. Looking forward to enjoy this bike for a while. Only 400 miles were added in the last 10 years. So, I just flushed the brake fluid, changed the oil, rear diff, and got new spark plugs. Ordered Michelin 6 GTs for the rims. Will probably change the coolant soon as well.
I got the spark plugs because it was running a little rough and actually stalled on me twice today just when settling down to idle. Hopefully the plugs fix that.

Not bad for $3600?

I hope to make it to WV in September!

Attachments

• BBDB538C-B77C-4EBE-884B-53C4D305C01D.jpeg
    BBDB538C-B77C-4EBE-884B-53C4D305C01D.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 19FC66A2-B34F-4413-90AC-A1C37672E3EA.jpeg
    19FC66A2-B34F-4413-90AC-A1C37672E3EA.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • 4EFDD1BB-4FE7-47C2-A44E-F11C16DC8A97.jpeg
    4EFDD1BB-4FE7-47C2-A44E-F11C16DC8A97.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
It might not be a bad idea at your next fill-up to mix in a half bottle of fuel system cleaner to get rid of any water that might have accumulated due to condensation if the tank was not completely filled while the bike was sitting. It is also possible that the gas in the tank may not be good anymore either, and that might also cause the stalling.

I did notice an idle around 800-900 when this occurs. Is having to turn the idle up common or because it sat for a while? Is there an idle set knob like on a carburetor?

Fuel injected bike so no carbs. I have a Gen II so I am not entirely certain how to set Gen I idle - I'm sure someone will provide the info. Once set, it doesn't usually change much. Running a few tanks of fuel with Seafoam or Yamaha Ring Free might help.

Right side, look into the upper vent cut-out. Should see what looks like a silver knob about the size of a dime. Turning that should adjust your idle however I'll echo what others said about looking for causes. Try setting it to 1150 but don't be surprised if you can't or it hunts back in either direction.

http://65.36.190.9/getdbitem.cfm?item=28
IdleAdjKnob.jpg

I will run some ring free and good gas. Who knows how old the gas was. There was just less than a quarter tank when purchased. I filled with premium right away. Probably should have drained the tank. I’ll adjust after the plug change. Thanks.

I just picked up my 2005 with 18,300 miles a few months back for the same $3600. I feel like it was a great deal. The previous owner was super meticulous and just a nice guy. He threw in a ton of extras like riding gear for me and the mrs, new parts like updated cam chain tensioner and brake pads, a throttle body sync and some other specialized tools and most importantly the Yamaha shop manual.
I really like the bike, other than I did experience some of the heat issues. With the Texas heat and holiday traffic last weekend, my left leg got pretty hot. I hadn't experienced it on any of the previous rides, but with the hot weather here now, I'll have to look into some of the fixes for it.
I would love to know how you like the 6 GT's when you get them. I've been looking at the Michelins or the Pirelli Angel GT 2's., but have read the GT 2's may have tracking issues on grooved roads.IMG_2057.jpeg

I will run some ring free and good gas. Who knows how old the gas was. There was just less than a quarter tank when purchased. I filled with premium right away. Probably should have drained the tank. I’ll adjust after the plug change. Thanks.
You do not need premium gas. Higher octane is for high compression engines. The fjr is not. There is actually less explosive energy in higher octane gas. It is not cleaner burning, does not clean your engine any better. The fjr was designed to run on 87.

Set the idle up. I didn’t realize that adjustment was there. Is that on a Gen II as well?

I also installed my pilot 6 GTs today. Already feels better than the >10 year old battle axes.

When installing the front wheel, I noticed my seals are not sealing as seals should. I guess a lifeless 10 years will do that. Ordering OEMs tomorrow.

Thanks all for the help!

When installing the front wheel, I noticed my seals are not sealing as seals should.
Fork seals? Before you replace, try a Seal Mate. Often dislodges crap on the seal lip. If you are changing seals, you might want to do bushings as well.

Yes, Gen II has an idle adjust as well. Not exactly the same...

Yep fork seals. I will just do the seals and bushings. The fluid, though Im sure would work fine, is most likely the original. It’s an 05 so might as well do the complete rehab.

Yep fork seals. I will just do the seals and bushings. The fluid, though Im sure would work fine, is most likely the original. It’s an 05 so might as well do the complete rehab.
Probably time...
If the fork fluid is original, it will be disgusting. Might want to consider a fork spring upgrade. I had Hyperpro springs in my '07 and have a full Traxxion AK20 setup in the 2011. (Bought bikes used and these were done by original owners)

My .02. The traxxion spring kit is plenty. Not sure the cartridges are needed on the fjr.