2005 Oil viscosity

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2005 FJR Scott

Reaction score
Not trying to start an oil war but, the manual says to use 20w 40. 

PO was using full syn 15w 50. Is that a problem? 

I kinda think I know the answer (it’s not a problem) but I don’t know these bikes so take it easy on me please.😀

My manual says 20W40 or 20W50 (2011 model year).  The 20W50 supposedly good for a bit higher temperatures.

The manual for my '07 just said 20W40.

Not a problem.

Question for fastpappy, please?  Being you live on an island I've seen from a tourist boat, can you give me an idea of the routes you bust a move on to get your bike exercised?

Serious question that I'd like to look at on google maps  Thanks in advance, and not sorry trying to highjack an oil thread.

Archer

I realize it's just my opinion ...  and everybody has one ...

But since it's water-cooled I run a 10/40 weight all year long.  The fan comes on about 200' anyway. 

Keep in mind I may have to start it some Spring or Fall morning around 32' ...  and I just got back from Alabama where it was 96' a few days too. 

Sometimes I mix 5/40 and 15/40 to end up with 10/40 as well.  They sometimes run cheaper, and/or I mix 1/2 synthetic and 1/2 dino oil. 

Question for fastpappy, please?  Being you live on an island I've seen from a tourist boat, can you give me an idea of the routes you bust a move on to get your bike exercised?

Serious question that I'd like to look at on google maps  Thanks in advance, and not sorry trying to highjack an oil thread.

Archer

Not sure how to show it on Google maps but but there are two main highways one of which runs the length of the island from bridge . I take some local roads with a couple of nice curves to the expressway, run the expressway bridge to bridge, couple of good curves brings me to the other expressway where I sometimes inadvertently  exceed the speed limit. This ends with the local roads which I can then take to the hills (SI has some high hills Todt hill being one of the highest points on the eastern seaboard) the roads in the hills are pretty twisty since they evolved from horse and buggy days which required them to weave back and forth so as not to build up uncontrollable speeds. Sometimes pretty tight unfortunately no nice sweeper where you can really open up and of course the regular mundane local roads. I can play around about 2 to 3 hours depending on where I want to go and how many sections I want to repeat. For any real fun it's off the island usually north or west. 🙂

I don't remember hearing of anyone having an engine or transmission problem that could be related to oil, its type, manufacturer, viscosity or even its colour. Use whatever motorcycle oil that makes you feel good. 

That's what I'm talking about, fastpappy, two or three hours runs just outside your door!  Looking at google maps makes me think your busa' friends must be limited to the Hylan Blvd drag, and that the new guys probably use Resurrection Cemetery as their private midnight Moto GP track.  😜

That's what I'm talking about, fastpappy, two or three hours runs just outside your door!  Looking at google maps makes me think your busa' friends must be limited to the Hylan Blvd drag, and that the new guys probably use Resurrection Cemetery as their private midnight Moto GP track.  😜
Yeah Hylan Blvd is a little crazy either a traffic jam or at 5:30 am when commuting people think they are racing in Nascar. Never heard anything about the Cemetery. I'll have to look into that. 🤔