2006 AE, Headlight bulb access- How to

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirby

Reaction score
I need to get to my headlight bulbs to install the Kisan modulator units on both bulbs. I am not sure which is the best route to go, down from above by removing a bunch of dash plastic panels, or from below by removing the splash-guard thing that has two bolts holding it in place. I tlooks like the bulb covers might be righ behind that guard plate piece.

Anyone done this? Advice please.

Thanks in advance,

-Sirby B)

WFO in TWO WEEKS!!! Woo Hoo! Cool-Vest is soaking in anticipation. ;o)

I need to get to my headlight bulbs to install the Kisan modulator units on both bulbs. I am not sure which is the best route to go, down from above by removing a bunch of dash plastic panels, or from below by removing the splash-guard thing that has two bolts holding it in place. I tlooks like the bulb covers might be righ behind that guard plate piece.

Thanks in advance,

-Sirby B)

Sirby,

If you'll go here: Bin o Facts and look at the section about 1/10th of the way down titled "Manuals", you will see a link to a pdf copy of the owners manual. The index has a section on changing the light bulbs.

Or - you could just dig your manual out and take a gander at it - page 6-34.

Thanks in advance,

-Sirby B)

Sirby,

If you'll go here: Bin o Facts and look at the section about 1/10th of the way down titled "Manuals", you will see a link to a pdf copy of the owners manual. The index has a section on changing the light bulbs.

Or - you could just dig your manual out and take a gander at it - page 6-34.
Thanks Kaitsdad!

Thats the first place I looked, in my manual. The "AE" model is different, in that it has the rheostat for the heated grips mounted to the "D" panel. This may be why, in my manual, it says to take the bike in to the dealer to have the light bulb changed. When I compared the two manuals in the Bin-o-Facts like you suggested I found the instructions you mentioned, for the standard model(not AE ) to go in from above by removing the dash panels. Yammy must think that the removal of panel "D" is too tough for the do-it-yerselfer so they left the panel removal instructions out of the AE manual also.

So, I will tear into it and see what I find . I hope I don't have to remove body panels as well. I am hoping someone has done this on an AE model, who can advise.

I popped the Kisan tail-Blazers into the brake light housing in no time. They work great. Plug-n-play, way cool.

Thanks for the tip! Excellent resource, here. I appreciate it.

-Sirby B)

All done. I loosened the splash guard to gain a little bit more working room, and managed to install the Kisan modulators and reconnect the cables. I did not have to remove the left side "D" panel with it's attached wiring. I think a bulb replacement can be accomplished this way as well if your hands are not too big. I wear an XL glove and found it to be a very tight space to work in. I hope these bulbs last a loooong time.

Next I'll mount the daylight sensor in the right panel that covers the battery.

-Sirby B)

All done. I loosened the splash guard to gain a little bit more working room, and managed to install the Kisan modulators and reconnect the cables. I did not have to remove the left side "D" panel with it's attached wiring. I think a bulb replacement can be accomplished this way as well if your hands are not too big. I wear an XL glove and found it to be a very tight space to work in. I hope these bulbs last a loooong time.Next I'll mount the daylight sensor in the right panel that covers the battery.

-Sirby B)
Sirby, I mounted this same set-up and found the best place for the sensor to work was on top of the handlebar in direct sunlight. If any shade is encountered, the lights don't do what they're designed to do (flash), another huge issue to watch out for is while riding on a road and all of the sudden it gets extremely shady, the lights may not flash at all, (lots of shade triggers the sensor into thinking it's night so it will not flash) please be careful. One thing I found the best way to remedy SOME of these problems was to mount the sensor up high so it's getting the best path to the sun at all times.

I eventually found if the sensor was shaded by something on the bike like a headlight or a panel even though the sun was shining, it didn't always work the way it was intended. It's a plug and play set-up, but the sensor needs to be in the right position. Just trying to help, If anything I hope this saves you some time and trouble.

C1