2006 ES not shifting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBayDon

Reaction score
I've done several searches and can't find anything on this. A while back I was riding in traffic and as I approached a light, I tried to shift down and nothing happened and the bike stayed in 3rd gear, chugged as I stopped and stalled. No a safe situation with traffic in front and back. Rocked the bike, cycled the key on and off, waved the traffic around me and it eventually allowed me to get to neutral and restart. Went a little way and everything repeated. Decided it was too dangerous to continue and called for a tow to a shop. By the time the tow truck turned up, the bike had cooled down and trans would engage first gear from start up. The shop replace the

YAM
99999-03795-00
N
P
SENSOR, ANGLE SET
which took nearly 2 months to get from Yamaha, took it for a "long" ride and pronounced it fixed. Picked it up two days ago and rode it home. It worked fine until I hit the driveway, while waiting for the garage door to open, the bike got warm enough that the fans kicked on and pulled into the garage and started to jockey into my spot for the bike. When I tried to shift into neutral it would not shift with either shifter. Shut the bike off with it stuck in 1st. After a few minutes I turned the key back on, the fans were still running, but the bike allowed the foot shifter allowed selecting neutral.
Any ideas what could be causing this? Seems to be engine temperature related.

Anything funky going on with dash lights, high beam indicator, turn signals or windshield motor control?

(Considering a possible grounding issue but don't know how that would affect the "AE" model and shifting)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello South Bay Don,

I have the same bike and know just a bit about the shift issue. The way to approach the problem is to ensure that the switch is indeed the culprit.

There's a diagnostic procedure for it by reading the voltage at the switch while back probing the connector, see manual as it's all in there. Perhaps the "Shop" didn't do this and just replaced the switch in the same position. Make sure the battery voltage never drops of spec while testing for the proper voltage for positioning the switch. This is kinda the same thing on a throttle position switch on many cars and bikes with fuel injection.

As soon as it gets out of range, both the handlebar and foot switch cease to function. With the ignition on and not charging with these bikes, it will not take long. Sure it wasn't just a bad battery from the start. Hook up a charger, and volt meter and see if the problem goes away before checking that switch.

ps. never remove the screw on the outside of the foot shifter bracket before removing the switch. Also, good time to lube the shift pedal and linkages. Remember that brake pedal. That damn thing will ruin everything, Ha!

Good luck and get back to us with your results!

Very clear response, 12Tinker. Having had an '08, I'm aware of the need to monitor technicians who probably don't have any exposure to the AE system. Nice of you to give your feedback and experience.

thanks sullivan!

I have to get riding Down East some day soon.

Soo, the reason I learned so much about the electric shifters on the AE came about from doing a little pm lube on the linkages without consulting the shop manual first! I thought just to pull all bolts around the pedal bracket. Turned out the center bolt (bolt #39 Shift Shaft) that's only on the AE holds a little fork that the switch rotates around. Pulling this bolt before removing the switch, just spins the guts out of that pricey little switch, ouch! No good deed goes unpunished, HA! Set my bike on the bricks for weeks.

hope it's just an adjustment for South Bay Don - Don, sounds like a "Made Man" sorry Don, I just finished watching the Godfather again.

Last edited by a moderator:
SouthBayDon, Let us know what the fix is for your AE when you find out. My 2008 AE is having trouble downshifting into 1st at low RPMs. Everything else seems to be fine, but I'd sure like to know where the problem is. If I come to a stop in 2nd, no trouble shifting into 1st. Thanks

I bought my 2007 AE out of state, sight unseen, and had it shipped to me. When it arrived, the idle was set to about 1050 RPM, which seemed normal because my 2005 FJR had been about the same. Shifting from N>1 and 1>N was fine until the bike fully warmed up, then it became an iffy proposition. Sometimes I'd even get a Shift_43 error on the dash. In my case, the idle was simply too high, causing the computer to disallow shifting. I dropped the idle to about 800-850 RPM and now here I am, 34K miles later and the shifting issues haven't returned.

Too high idle may not be your problem, and I don't remember offhand what the official idle speed is supposed to be, but dropping it down worked for me.