2006 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another shot from the rear

pic3471.jpg

And now the only REAL reason to buy the 2006... They finally put an actual motorcycle front fender on it and got rid of that ridiculous euro-styling lick POS that's been disgracing this machine for too DAMN long !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Did you notice that one's crotch won't be on the tank directly.

I wonder if we will be able to mod ours like the 06's in that area?

Anyone know?

thanks

-=SF=-

I aint changin'! Like Radman I enjoy "backin it into a corner" i.e. trailbraking, and ya cant due that with abs very well and certainly not linked brakes. If I'd wanted a Honda/BMW I'd bought one. Personally I like the Sport in our beloved Sport/Tour, but hey different strokes for different folks and really its all good !

Bobby

Although I really like the new bike, I must say that I really like the 05 front fender. It's amazing how everyone has different opinions, I also don't like black rims and many others really do like them?? :erm:

The only good color for a motorcycle is black. Of course, it's also the most totally impractical color.

The new front fender is ok, I guess, but where will I put my gloves and camera at sunset? (Obscure reference to Yam advertising pics). :rolleyes:

I'm glad Yamaha isn't sitting still with this model, but the changes aren't enough that I'd want one.

Pepperell

We haven't heard from WC yet. :erm:
Like others have mentioned, I just last night returned from the Iron Butt Rally in Denver. It was a mighty fast trip home.... 1120 miles in 15 hours. :bigeyes:

The 2006 FJR looks interesting, absolutely. It will be even more interesting to see if they have done something with the alternator and just not said anything about it. You would think they would if it was indeed upgraded, but one never knows.....

The Nissin brakes are good, but those are *not* radial front brakes.

Speaking of which, I am saddened to see they have gone the way of a linked brake system. (Might have all the spactacularly crashing FJRs the last three years to help thank for that.) LBS is good for those who tend to ride over their limits, but it is not good for those demand fine control over their braking. Pity it has come to this.... perhaps the aftermarket will fine a way to delink them as they have for the CBR1100XX Blackbird.

The larger radiator with two (2) cooling fans is most welcomed.

But it does seem like an oversight not to have done something about the alternator - Yamaha must be in a jam to try and fit extra windings into the available space or something.
While I was initially led to believe this was the case, I no longer believe this to be true. Reason: the alternator on my 2005 R1 is physically smaller (considerably so) than what we have on the FJR, yet it is rated at 541-watts (isn't that just the shits?! A racebike made for the track has a 541-watt alternator, and our 2-up touring machine has but a lame-o 490-watts! :angry: The reason the R1's alternator is so hefty is due to it have four (4) 55-watt H7 bulbs; thus high-beam consumes 220-watts just by itself!)

With regard to retro-fitting: I believe very, very few (if any) of the upgrades would easily retro-fit to the '03-'05 models. Won't know for sure, of course, until the bike arrives, but I'm pretty sure they won't given the history of how Yamaha has been upgrading the bike. Perhaps the new windscreen will retro-fit. Quite doubtful any of the new bodywork will fit on the old bikes.

Everything is speculation until the bike arrives....

ArizonaGirl, we can paint the town, and then paint your bike pink. ;)

The lower fork strengthened for the change in caliper mounting, ABS standard, the seat and bar adjustments, opening the spokes in the wheels, and improved areodynamics are all improvements.

ONE big NEGATIVE IMHO is linking the Brakes!!! REAL MC Riders don't like Linked Brakes. A MC is not a two wheel car and a MC Rider needs control over braking and weight transfer and traction management when leaned over. ABS isn't designed to manage traction in a turn, it only is designed to manage traction in a strait line. A 'Unified' braking system is a negative in managing leaned over traction on the front & rear tires independantly. TJ :butcher: :bleh: