2006 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Suprised to see so many who didn't want the red - I was hoping that would be available since they have the red everywhere else in the line-up. Will be interesting to see the difference in the Cobalt vs. Galaxy blue if there is any. Also want to see what it looks like without the bags - the ST doesn't look right sans bags and that was a big plus IMO for the FJR.

I thought it was good thing it's not red, because then they'd have to exchange their existing one for a red one.

Damn ! This could put the shitz to my goal of having the highest mileage FJR ever for the third year in a row... ;)

No comments from you guys on ticking? They've obviously admitted to the bike being hot, as they make the claim "cooler rider and bike".

Hopefully the cooler bike is not their complete cure to the tick (some have pointed to a correlation between the heat and the bad valves).

Also, I assume this means our bikes are now the "old" generation FJR's and just dropped in value?

I doubt the bike is cooler, most likely the design helps keep the engine heat away from the rider better than the previous models.

The valve guides......we will see I suppose.

Hey guys and gals...according to some of the technical writings on mother`s own site(s), they have made numerous improvements to our beloved Feejer, thus making it what might end up being, a flawless machine (lofty goal as it might be!).I have no doubt that the factory took a very serious view of all the feedback they were getting from their loyal (and not so loyal) customer base as well as the motorcycle press over these past 4 years. One cannot remain static in the face of quickly changing times and it`s great to see the corporation on a progressive track. Congratulations Yamaha! :clap:

Suprised to see so many who didn't want the red
The reason I didn't want to see red is that I'd WANT one. Now I can be happy about my own bike for at least another year. I had a choice between used silver and new blue at the time I bought mine. It was all about the color. Decided to go with silver and glad I did. Soon it will be rare, at least on the group rides I've attended so far.

Integrated bracking system - yuck, that's what kept me away from BMW (that and a whole lotta $$). Now I'm glad I bought my '05 on July 20th. I just have to do some heat modifications next summer and count which gear I'm in.

Maybe some aftermarket dealer will develop the heat shield around the tank (if that is what it is) for the earlier models.

Looks like the FJR may be evolving away from a "sport" tourer with the increased swingarm length?

Also stated was a new fuel injection system-similar to the R1?

Noticed the rear turn lamps appear to be a clear lense-have to wait and see if they will swap out on an '03-'05.

Almost forgot, any word of some helmet locks included on the bike??

Will be interesting to see a new '06, but I'll have my '03 for awhile longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Integrated bracking system - yuck, that's what kept me away from BMW (that and a whole lotta $$). Now I'm glad I bought my '05 on July 20th. I just have to do some heat modifications next summer and count which gear I'm in.
Maybe some aftermarket dealer will develop the heat shield around the tank (if that is what it is) for the earlier models.
I'm a believer in linked brakes. Both my VFR and Wing had them (no ABS) and I never locked a rear tire. Never. Try as I might dem sum bitches would slow me down right up to their limits and never smoke the rubber. Course, if like radman, you use a lot of trail braking you would hate linked brakes, but an FJR is not and R1 now, is it? JMO.

I like the seat. Flatter doesn't slant forward. Only problem I dislike with mine.

Whats another 500-600 to correct that.

Hmmm.. the bottom of the front forks look tweaked... as do the front brake calipers.  Looks like fairing attach points on the side also have changed (there's a bolt on the current bikes near the middle of the fairing that I don't see.  Rear view mirrors look different (wider maybe?) as do the integrated turn signals.  Some other tupperware changes, but all-in-all I like what they'e done.  Not enough to buy a new one... but seems like positive progress.
beefier front forks, radial brake calipers, back/lower tank changed ("shiedling" mentioned earlier?), no rear luggage rack, modified tail piece (lighting), hmmm...

a lot of that might be bolt on to older models.

Check out Yamaha's web site for comparison

www.yamaha-motor.com/spor...mpare.aspx

"... wheelbase jumping nearly a half-inch in length to 61.0 inches..." hmmm, according to the Yamaha site, comparison between models, the '06 is the same as all other years, 60.6".