2006 For Consideraton

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff_connors

Reaction score
I have a 2006 near me for sale. Only about 16k miles. Price is $4,900. Tires are okay, stock seat, and top box. No reported issues with it. I like more of an upright position instead of lean forward. I have never rode or even sat on a FJR so I do need to do that. Two questions though---

1.  Recommendations for purchase considering price, bike, and your knowledge of the Gen II FJR?

2. My wife really does not like any lean forward. From a pillion perspective, is the lean forward there with the FJR or just slight? I see some seats are pretty flat and others, like the FJR, seem to angle up in the rear. 

Proper thing to do is take the wife and go sit on the bike and see if it fits or not.  I ride solo so significant other's concerns I could care less about.  

It's not a Goldwing if that is the position you are looking for.

I had an 04 with 90k when Bambi totaled it.   My wife never like  the seating position and I found it to be a bit forward seating for me at 5'7

Replaced the totaled bike with a 08 wing that my wife and I really liked, and now have a 18 wing. Really prefer the upright comfort of the wing but it's no sport touring machine. That's why I have other bikes to fill the need for speed and better handling in the twisties when riding alone.

#2: The FJR is a 'sport-tourer.' You can ride long distances AND it is fairly entertaining on not-so-straight roads. My wife road 81,000+ on the back and she never considered the FJR a 'lean-forward' bike, it's more of an upright position. Mine has a backrest. But it is definitely not a recline-o-lounger.

#1: Price varies by just about everything. If it hasn't been ridden in a while, if it is beat up, no maintenance records, stored outside, etc., things like that cause price to be lower than, say, super-clean, truly showroom condition, from California, ridden by a little old lady to church on Sunday, etc. See it, try it on, make a counter offer. 

It is a great bike!

I just bought an '06 in April with very low miles. The bike is in near new condition without issues - except that not all recalls and Tech Service bulletins have been taken care of. The NHTSA recalls will be honored by Yamaha service centers, but all the Tech Service Bulletins have expired. My bike has the altitude surge issue, and I am still waiting to hear if Yamaha will replace the ECU on my bike with 7k miles on it (I am not holding my breath). If they don't, it will be an expensive part to replace. I live in a mountainous area, so fixing the issue is a must for me. So check if the service items have been completed on your bike. Also, if there is no detailed periodic maintenance records available, I would suggest calculating the cost of a thorough checkup and full maintenance round (fluid changes, new battery, rubber hose and parts replacements, etc.) into the cost of the bike. Hopefully you can do the servicing yourself to save a lot of money. As for passenger comfort - my wife kept me company for most of the 70K miles I put on my '03 before I sold it to get the '06. The FJR is not a Goldwing couch, but getting a better passenger seat, replacing the rear shock with one that is tuned to our riding style, and adding a top box that she can lean against improved her comfort a lot. I agree with others, have your wife sit behind you to see if she finds the riding position comfortable enough. Unfortunately there are not a whole lot of things you can do to make the pillion comfort better, but she might find it comfortable enough to join you on many long trips.

Price for a bike of that age is very much a function of condition, farkles and your local market.  Without a good look, I couldn't say if that is a fair price or not - they aren't giving it away but it should have a lot of miles left in it.

The biggest issue with early Gen II bikes is electrical - grounding issues.  One taken care of by a recall but there are a couple of other possibilities.  Not a huge deal if you are comfortable working on that stuff yourself.  The only ;potentially serious mechanical issue is the cam chain tensioner - replace it sooner rather than later if it is the original.  They improved the part sometime in late 2007 and a failure would ruin your whole day!  Late Gen I and early Gen II had some ABS problems and not fixable except by expensive replacement of the ABS pump.  Make sure that it is working. 

Chances are that brake and clutch hydraulic hoses are OK but check them for cracks and evidence of leaks.  Also have a look at the hydraulic fluid in the handlebar reservoirs - still a light straw color?  Same with coolant hoses - likely OK but check for cracks and leaks.

Not enough miles on the bike to be concerned about major mechanical wear on anything.

Note: As far as I know, there are three recalls applicable to the '06.  Ground connector (spider) fix, ignition switch and ECU "altitude" fix.  Early 2006 also had an issue with the speedo cluster and required replacement.  See below...

FJRF010: 17mpg Readout Issue - Technical/Mechanical Problems - FJRForum

FJRF004: The 2006/7 Altitude Fix - Technical/Mechanical Problems - FJRForum

FJRF009.2: "Intermittent Ground Wire Connection" - Technical/Mechanical Problems - FJRForum

FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch - Technical/Mechanical Problems - FJRForum

Seems like a lot but really a very reliable machine which should be good for 100,000 miles without even blinking.  Sold my '07 with 185,000 and still running great.

Thanks all and good comments for sure. Yep, taken the Mrs. and determine if sitting on it is ok. Then I will put her on a GW...uhh, no because I don't want one. Good to know about the mechanical issues. Minor stuff I can do but the bigger stuff and more expensive fixes will scare me to a later model. The 16 up have cruise from what I understand. That does appeal to me. 

I purchased a 2006 with 99k miles, completely farkled from the original owner several months ago. Well maintained and I expect I will take it to at least 200k. I paid about half as much as the bike you are looking at (to be honest I bought it from a buddy I play guitars with and there was some guitar trading involved as well). Look up some comp pricing in other areas and work with the seller on price. With that kind of mileage its not being ridden much and the seller is likely motivated to free up garage space.

Anyways... Mine has bar risers and it does not "lean forward at all". Super comfortable on longer rides and it handles great in the canyons. 

Also don't sweat the accessories. The best thing you can buy for an FJR is gas.

Good luck in your hunt.