2006 suspension refresh on a budget (with a twist!!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERS

Reaction score
There's been a lot of posts lately on relay arm maintenance and I'd thought I'd add this.

I have a 2006 A model with approx 100,000km. I bought it in April 2012 with approx 30k or 18,000 miles on it. I have lubed the accessable bearings on the relay arm at around 35,000km. Last year I noticed oil leakage on my rear shock and it was always soft even set on the Hard setting. Also I had a lot of fork compression when braking and the bike just felt loosey on curves. Anyway I'm not riding as much or as far as I used too so I wanted to do a suspension refresh without spending mega bucks. I found a lightly used Gen 3 shock from a member here at a very reasonable cost, Picked up some Sonic springs 1.1 kg/cm and removed the center stand. and relay arm etc. When removing the center stand 1 of the 2 bolts usually needing to be cut due to the exhaust location was in right with the nut on the outside. The other was in the stock way. Imagine my surprise when the bolt that had been changed was a banjo bolt!, Had holes for brake fluid. When I bought the bike it had lowering links and the previous owner gave me the originals which I reinstalled, but none of that work required the center stand removed. Mystery. 

Anyway, the relay arm needed the center 2 bearings, seals and spacer replaced, the other bearings are good. Removing those bearings was an education, I had to make a tool from a concrete expansion anchor to push them out. I had no mechanic friends with a blind puller set.

So, Waiting for these parts and will report on how it all works out.

Thanks to juniorFJR for the shock, he was easy to work with and the shock looks like new compared to mine. Can't wait to get on the road.

Rick 

So , Put on the Gen 3 shock, replaced a couple of bearings and seals on the relay arm, replaced the front springs with Sonics and made up a new spacer to give approx 3/4" preload. Put a Roadsmart 3 190 55 17 on back.

Happy so far but I was using 15 weight oil in the forks to compensate for the stock springs and used it again with the stiffer Sonic springs and while the bike has a nice solid feel and brake dive is much reduced, the ride is a bit harsh. I plan to remove the fork oil this weekend and replace it with 5weight to see if it improves things a bit. 

Also with the 190 tire and the new rear shock , the bike sits higher so has quite a lean when on the side stand.

Rear shock made a big difference on that end, just need to improve the fork response a bit.

So, replaced the 15w fork oil with 5W and it had the desired effect. Front suspension responds well to bumps in the road without the harshness i had with the 15w fork oil. New springs have firmed up the front and brake dive is much reduced. 

So my budget suspension overhaul so far is a success. Now waiting for reduced Covid restrictions to allow for travel off PEI! 

So, replaced the 15w fork oil with 5W and it had the desired effect.
I would have expected the 15W to be a little harsh - I always used a Bel-Ray 5W on my '07 with upgraded Hyperpro springs. 

Current (2011) has a Traxxion AK20 setup and they specify a Maxima 125/150 for this application (nominally 7wt, I think).  Past due for a fork oil refresh.  I have had a couple of leaky seals which were restored using a Seal-Mate but I think I will end out doing seals and bushings this time around.

Now waiting for reduced Covid restrictions to allow for travel off PEI! 
Me too!.  As small as New Brunswick is, riding opportunities on PEI are even more limited!  Hopefully not too much longer.  Would be nice if the provinces would get together on a plan that includes everyone.  Would like to get down to Halifax to visit friends and family.  Also want to do a trip to Winnipeg before the summer is done.

Hey Ross,

When I was putting in the 15w I was thinking that it might be too heavy but it worked great with the stock springs so I gave it a try. The 5w is much improved though. Got my MVI done yesterday and ready to go if/when the travel restrictions get eased up. 

I bought a DL1000 V-Strom 2 years ago to do the TransLabrador Highway. Was planning to do it last June/July but Covid travel restrictions prevented us from going to Quebec. Looks like its not going to happen this year either.  Sigh!!

Hey Ross,

When I was putting in the 15w I was thinking that it might be too heavy but it worked great with the stock springs so I gave it a try. The 5w is much improved though. Got my MVI done yesterday and ready to go if/when the travel restrictions get eased up. 

I bought a DL1000 V-Strom 2 years ago to do the TransLabrador Highway. Was planning to do it last June/July but Covid travel restrictions prevented us from going to Quebec. Looks like its not going to happen this year either.  Sigh!!
I still have some maintenance stuff to get done.  Forks, in particular. Seals and bushings.

No MVI needed for motorcycles in NB!  I probably have close to 6,000 km on the bike this year but NB roads are becoming far too familiar.  Even opening up Atlantic Canada will be a relief.  Nothing for a month or so unless the provinces accelerate their opening plans.  I am hoping to be able to do a run out to Winnipeg before the summer is done.  NS seems to be mostly over the worst of their outbreak (only 20 today).  NB and NL have had a chronic background of cases - not serious but not under full control either.

I'm betting that the Quebec border will be open by early August so TransLab is still a possibility for you.  I have been looking at dual sport bikes for a couple of years (for the TransLab plus a bunch of other roads less travelled).  Almost bought a 2012 Super Ténéré last fall  but waited too long.   Keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a decent used dual sport...  Did you buy the DL1000 new or used?

My Strom is used, a 2006 with 50,000km, I put around 7k on it since I got it. It was a bit of a basket case but I thought with the low miles I would be OK. I had to some repair to the FI and had the clutch basket rebuilt in Texas due to what V-Stromers call chudder. Tires were new, chain was recently replaced although I had to do the front sprocket as it was badly worn. It was left outside so the plastic fairings are quite faded but the seat and rest of the bike is in good condition. To be honest I don't like it much , it vibrates badly at speed and repairing the clutch basket and retorquing the motor mount "thrust adjusters" ( really is a thing with Suzuki) made it smoother its still not smooth like the FJR. 6th gear is almost unusable at PEI speeds, etc. I have been doing clay and gravel roads and some woods trails with it and its manageable but heavy so its quite a workout when the going gets rough. I think for the trans labrador it will be ideal but for cross country trips , not so good.

Apparently the 2014 and newer v-Stroms are much more refined than the 1st gen 2002-2012 ones.

I've replaced the seals in my FJR twice, at 33,000km and around 95,000, I have no play or indication that the bushings are worn so I only did the seals and dustseal and oil, Easy to remove the seal without separating the fork tubes but it can be messy.