2006 - Wilbers Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those on the fence about this, or new to the bike and it's mod potential, I have yet to hear of anyone who wasn't delighted with the improvement in handling the Wilbers provided. The Spring 05 GB process peeved some, but it would appear that has been changed for the better. And the Wilburs is a bargain, at about half the cost of a Penske, and 40% of the cost of the Ohlins. A no brainer, even for a no brainer like me.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For those on the fence about this, or new to the bike and it's mod potential, I have yet to hear of anyone who wasn't delighted with the improvement in handling the Wilburs provided in the Spring 05 GB.  The process peeved some, but it would appear that has been changed for the better.  And the Wilburs is a bargain, at about half the cost of a Penske, and 40% of the cost of the Ohlins.  A no brainer, even for a no brainer like me.... ;)
And to further fan the flames, I am unsure about the future of these Wilbers Group Buys... prticularly at these steep discounts. If you were ever inclined to jump abord the Wilbers GB train, now's the time.

Personally, I already got mine :p and I truly don't have a stake in how many (or how few) of y'all participate anyway, but, word up: don't be expecting this to happen at regular intervals, cuz it ain't going to....

Also, not to panic people, but I did participate in the last group buy, but hadn't installed my shock yet. In september, my stock rear shock failed over the course of 2 days & ~50 miles just going back & fourth to work & such (just over 20,000 miles). I was planning a short trip & not wanting to miss it swapped out the shocks in less than an hour (basic model, abs bike) & hit the road. Yamaha did replace the stock shock under warranty, but it took a couple of weeks. So now I have a rebuildable Wilburs & a brand new stock shock to slap on when the time comes :) . Sometimes well prepaired procrastination works :D . James

If you were ever inclined to jump abord the Wilbers GB train, now's the time.
WC, what about a GB for the '06's down the road? Is this a possibility in the future?? :huh: :rolleyes:

A technical question... From the website:

WILBERS shocks are available in either the SPORTSLINE (Blue-Spring), or CLASSIC version (Black- Spring)

The pictures that WC posted are of the SPORTSLINE version. Is this the one that is offered in the group buy? Since I can't read the wibers.de site, I'm kind of at a loss for what the difference is between the two. I can *assume* that I want the sportier version but is there some way to make a smart choice on exactly what options I might want? Is there a detailed English PDF file somewhere that describes all the options. And, going one step further, is there a "here's what version of the 640 you should get for your '05 Feej"?

Thanks,

Jim

I was in on the last buy and got the plain 640, forks, pads etc. If you think that you will play with the factory set preload, get the remote option. While it is quite possible to adjust sag with the provided spanner, (and a short comealong bar), it's a bit of an acquired skill.

BTW I'm 150% satisfied with my Wilber shock and fork set up after 24,000km.

Folks are saying these shocks are great and I believe ya... but what specific performance improvement do they produce? What'll we get for our 4 and a half bills?

Thanks!

Jet

The pictures that WC posted are of the SPORTSLINE version.  Is this the one that is offered in the group buy? 
That nomenclature on the German Wilbers web site is making reference to the colors available only, vic performance differences. Read my second post in this thread for the brief descriptions of the three shock models being offered. Click the following link for a photo of what they refer to as the "Classic" version (this is my shock, a Model 430 wth Remote Hydraulic Pre-Load):

FJRTech: Installing the Wilbers Shock Absorber

For this Group Buy, Wilbers is offering the following:

Model 640 for ABS and non ABS models:

Regular cost: $ 516.00 This shock has adjustable rebound damping with 22 clicks, and infinite variable adjustment for the spring pre-load via C-spanner.

Model 641 for ABS and non ABS models:

Regular cost: $798.00 This shock has adjustable rebound damping with 22 clicks, as well as High and Low speed compression damping with 22 clicks on a hose mounted remote reservoir.

Model 643 QS (for non-ABS models only:)

Regular cost: $895.00 Technically the same as model 641, but with piggy back reservoir (perpendicular to the shock axis, see photo on pg 1 of this thread).

is there some way to make a smart choice on exactly what options I might want?  Is there a detailed English PDF file somewhere that describes all the options.  And, going one step further, is there a "here's what version of the 640 you should get for your '05 Feej"?
Believe me, the Group Buy web site describes *each* of the very items you've mentioned here.... including a very detailed FAQ that should answer all your questions.

Further, there is a questionaire portion of the signup form where you will be asked questions like: how often do you ride 2-up? What is your riding weight (with gear)? Pillion weight? Weight of cargo you typically carry? What is your riding style (aggressive canyon carver? relaxed touring type? a commuting rider? a mixture of some/all these)? What is your typical riding environment (city commuter? open desert traveler? interstate tourer? mountains and twisties? ect).

Wilbers needs to know all this and more, 'cuz this shock is custom-built to your specs at the German factory (I'm referring to the internal valving, etc, not just what spring rate you want... the latter is about the only "custom" aspect that most mass-produced shock manufacturers offer).

there is a questionaire portion of the signup form where you will be asked questions like: how often do you ride 2-up? What is your riding weight (with gear)? Pillion weight? Weight of cargo you typically carry? What is your riding style (aggressive canyon carver? relaxed touring type? a commuting rider? a mixture of some/all these)? What is your typical riding environment (city commuter? open desert traveler? interstate tourer? mountains and twisties? ect).
Wilbers needs to know all this and more, 'cuz this shock is custom-built to your specs at the German factory (I'm referring to the internal valving, etc, not just what spring rate you want... the latter is about the only "custom" aspect that most mass-produced shock manufacturers offer).
Excellent! I'm salivating all the more. But what I'm praying for is that I can get TWO (another 640 or equivalent for my '97 XX too)? Read: credit card to be charged for TWO shocks if they'll allow it. Is that going to be possible? If so, I may also spring for the Wilbers fork springs for the FJR at same time.

Excellent!  I'm salivating all the more.  But what I'm praying for is that I can get TWO (another 640 or equivalent for my '97 XX too)?  Read: credit card to be charged for TWO shocks if they'll allow it.  Is that going to be possible?  If so, I may also spring for the Wilbers fork springs for the FJR at same time.
I've asked about this before, and sadly, no, Wilbers runs these Group Buys one bike model at a time.

It undoubtedly has to do with economies of scale (procuring parts for a production run of shock bodies, valvings, springs, seals, etc for one line of shocks per bike model).

Still, take heart; I'll see if they are willing to do a Blackbird run in the Spring, how's that?

Having been there & done that:

If you're about 220 lbs or more, I highly recommend asking for the spring that will give you the maximum load of the bike (450 lbs.) when the hydraulic adjuster is at the maximum (I.E., a #59/59-140-130 spring).

I had initially requested my weight at the minimum & our combined weight plus luggage at the maximum. The spring I received turned out to be equivilent to the factory stock spring (I.E., a #59/59-100-130 spring). Cranking the preload up to the maximum still allowed us to bottom out, and the spouse is only 135 lbs.

With the beefier spring the bike handling and ride was improved beyond expectations.

Of course, YMMV & any other codicils that may apply.

dobias <_<

PS: For what it's worth, I tried the 10w Silkolene in the fork and found it too stiff.

I used the 2 1/2w Silkolene. It turns out it's specifications (CST @ 40C & CST @ 100C) are almost exactly that of Yamaha's recommended 10w #01 fork oil.

Wilbers doesn't give the CST of their "7 1/2w" fork oil. When asked, they would only say,"try it, you'll like it." :(

I've asked about this before, and sadly, no, Wilbers runs these Group Buys one bike model at a time.
It undoubtedly has to do with economies of scale (procuring parts for a production run of shock bodies, valvings, springs, seals, etc for one line of shocks per bike model).

Still, take heart; I'll see if they are willing to do a Blackbird run in the Spring, how's that?
Mucho thanks, WC. That'd be outstanding. Hoping, of course, that it'd be possible to have it in hand and installed before the June 8 meet in Red Bluff. Think I'm going to go with Race Tech for the front forks on the XX, but instead of simply rebuilding my rear shock, was thinking this Wilbers looks like the ticket on the back of both bikes.

And many thanks for putting yet another group buy together for the rest of us!

Folks are saying these shocks are great and I believe ya... but what specific performance improvement do they produce? What'll we get for our 4 and a half bills?
Jet, all I can tell ya is this: If you've never replaced the stock suspension components on a Jap bike with upgraded bits before, you will truly be amazed at the effects of doing so. You'll end up with front and rear suspension that are much more stable and balanced. Bumps in corners will be absorbed more easily, without upsetting the bike as much. Less front end dive during braking. The list goes on.

BTW, my experience leads me to change the front springs and rear shock at the same time. I made the mistake once of doing just the fork springs first, then riding down the road wishing I had the shock too. Never again. But YMMV.

My Mastercard is already cringing in fear.....I ain't lettin' this one pass by!

Thank you Warchild for making this happen.
I watched the last GB for the shock and I let it slip by .... but not this time.

:clap:
I did the same last year due to lack of funds. Not this year. I'm going to be in as my 04 has 16k miles and when riding double I get a "wallow" when pushing it a little in the corners. Time to replace.

As a happy participant in the first GB, here are my thoughts:

1 - Self Install - shock is easy if you are even moderatley competent in reading spanner/wrench sizes. I had my dealer do the front springs as I was lazy.

2 - Customization - when filling in the questionnaire DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE your weight. The few complaints I recall were related to the new shock being 'undersprung' (I was probably guilty of underestimating our all-up riding weight thinkg we both weigh a little less than we do, and carry less luggage than we actually do)

3 - Satisfaction Factor - excellent. GB process worked very well, improvement in ride was noticable, people involved were a pleasure to deal with.

I've gotten several PM's about payment options, so let me go ahead and clarify that now.

You can pay one of three ways: credit card, check/money order, or PayPal.

If paying by credit card, you will phone in your cc number *after* you have received the GB order confimation number emailed to you when you sign up. Wilbers will require a $100.00 non refundable deposit, and the balance the day they ship the order.

The orders to the Wilbers factory in Germany will be placed after Klaus has received all of your data, specs and information on payment method. Klaus will place the orders on the evening of the day the information is complete. No changes can be accepted after that.

You *MUST* specify your payment method where indicated on the signup form. Again, as before, payments are accepted by check, money order, credit card or PayPal (for the latter, you will do a "Send Money" transaction to: [email protected])

Questions?

In and done! Will it be here tomorrow? Is it here yet? When will it be here? Tomorrow? Is it tomorrow yet? :D