2006 - Wilbers Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
The Wilbers Group Buy that was put on hold late last year is on again, and will run from Jan 9 till Jan 23, 2006.

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

WILBERS Group Buy - online!!

Unlike last year's Group Buy, there will be no "sliding scale" of discounts; there will be one set of prices. What that also means is that once you order and pay your deposit, your order is sent to the factory in Germany to custom-build your shock immediately. There will be no "waiting period" to accumulate minimum sales like last time.

Save your pennies and get ready. The announcement will be placed right here on Monday, Jan 9th. All you guys who missed out on fork springs and shocks last time, this is your chance. Mind you, this Group Buiy period is for two weeks only.

This Group Buy will be open to all models up through the 2005 model year (not the 2006 machine).

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible to refresh my space limited personal hard drive on the models avail and rough idea of cost? Radwallet hurtin' but would like to get in on the ground floor if MsRad will allow.........

Three shock model offerings (two, if you have an ABS machine):

Model 640: an outstanding shock, the lowest cost, this is what I have:

640_625_629_AG.jpg

Retail: $516.00 GB price: $440.00

Model #641, like above but with High-speed/Low-speed compression damping adjustment:

641_625_629_AG.jpg

Retail: $798.00 GB price: $670.00

Ultra super-duper Model #643 with Piggyback Reservior (non-ABS only!):

643_Q_625_629_AG.jpg

Retail: $895.00 GB price: $760.00

There are also a number of options available: remote preload, ride-height adjustability, you can lower (or raise) the bike with optional shock lengths, etc, etc. All the details will be on the GB web site.

Also, there are Wilbers Fork Springs for the FJR1300: retail: $123.00 GB price: $95.00

Wilbers Shock Installation write-up: FJRTech: Installing the Wilbers Shock

Actually..

640 is a standard emulsion shock w/ rebound adjustment (and in this case the optional hydraulic preload adjuster)

641 and 643 are both identical super-duper models, with the only difference being the reservoir placement.

640 is basically good enough for anything public roads can throw at you and the most economic option. The 641 and 643 are for those that like to fiddle with their suspension or just want more bling.

I know, it's really nitpicking on details. :)

No, nits need picking just like noses occasionally. The 640 is most affordable, and with my "Makin the Most of the Taxpayers Money" award, will put the radmobile on the buyers list finally. Anyone recall my "no farkles" claim in the old forum? This will pretty much show what a bullshitter I really was......... :D This is really cool timing, with Frank at 16,500 miles, I knew he was due for suspension upgrades.

I'm going to have to figure out how to come up with the cash for this. After riding SkooterG's bike back to back with mine, I can appreciate what the shock does.

Hmm... now I just wonder if I can get them to build me a shock with the blue spring, and the black/silver knobs....

What da dealio on front springs?
Read Warchild's second entry and it's there already:

Also, there are Wilbers Fork Springs for the FJR1300: retail: $123.00 GB price: $95.00
I'm going for that part myself!

What da dealio on front springs?
Read Warchild's second entry and it's there already:

I'm going for that part myself!
Fook. :blushing: My momma always told me I'd go blind if I didn't stop. Always listen to your momma...

So let's assume that one decides to get the shock and the springs. Let's further assume that said consumer is technically savvy and can handle the install (or has a buddy who works for beer and steak). What other expenses would one need to consider along with the parts from Wilbers? Dog bone? Other parts that need replaced? Consumables? Etc? I'd hate to get my new toy(s) and find out I needed to throw down another C note to complete the job.

So let's assume that one decides to get the shock and the springs.  Let's further assume that said consumer is technically savvy and can handle the install (or has a buddy who works for beer and steak).  What other expenses would one need to consider along with the parts from Wilbers?  Dog bone?  Other parts that need replaced?  Consumables?  Etc?  I'd hate to get my new toy(s) and find out I needed to throw down another C note to complete the job.
For the rear shock I say no added money or hassle.

Having installed mine a couple of months ago after helping with one at TechWest I can say confidently that it's not that hard of a job. I had the standard shock with hydraulic pre-load addition. It's totally doable in the average garage with just the average set of tools. No special jacks, tools, or radical consumables needed.

I did it all by myself with it on the centerstand leaving the rear wheel on. You need some larger sized sockets and end wrenches (17mm and 19mm if memory serves). A mallet and punch helps, but one could do it with a hammer. Some carpet to lay down a couple of times around the dogbone areas. Some axle grease to regrease some sleeves on the dog bones while you're in there and a 2x4" to put some leverage on the rear wheel to get the lower bolt back through the Wilber.

Now if I can just find the link of the person that detailed it.....

Front springs are a different deal. Haven't done them yet and may end up having my dealer do them and change fork oil when I go in for a valve check.

Gun,

the install is cake, especially for a non ABS like yours. Literally minutes.

Bolt off, bolt off, slide shit-stock-shock out. Slide new sweet-ASS shock in place, bolt on, bolt on.

Think you can handle that?

Hey man, I did it with only one question to the list. That means, ANYBODY can do this. <G>

But I'll come over and drink your beer if you need stupor-vision or anything.

BIG PROPS DEPT. I'd like to pubically thank GunMD for driving me down TWICE to drop off and pick-up my bike for the valve check. 1.5 hours each way ain't nothing. Ya dig? Sho nuff.

Thanks Gun!

GZ

So let's assume that one decides to get the shock and the springs. Let's further assume that said consumer is technically savvy and can handle the install (or has a buddy who works for beer and steak). What other expenses would one need to consider along with the parts from Wilbers? Dog bone? Other parts that need replaced? Consumables? Etc? I'd hate to get my new toy(s) and find out I needed to throw down another C note to complete the job.
'Mon up, Gun! just bring the 7.5 weight shock oil (and your preference on flushing fluid) witcha, cuz that's all you need. There's a great little steak and ale house 'round the corner. Pick up FatNakedGuy along the way, he needs his springs installed too. ;)

Jeeze, you guys are killing me with all these necessary good deals (ones I'm probably not going to miss out on again). Question: If I buy for one for my Feejer, can I get a group buy deal on one for my Blackbird at the same time? (That's really the bike that most needs the attention, but I'm finding myself matching farkles for it with farkles for the Feejer and it's shaping up like an expensive winter.)

Now wait a minute... Gun, aren't you a gov. employee? If that's the case then your going to need multiple people standing over you stupervising you work. As a gov. employee myself, and having been one of the people on the side of the road watching someone else dig a hole, I feel I am qualified to do this. I'm willing to come over and assist in drinking your beer and watching you while you work! :D

As yet another guvmint bee, I shall bring the documentation for Minority Quota filling and Diversity Training verification.

Now wait a minute... Gun, aren't you a gov. employee? If that's the case then your going to need multiple people standing over you stupervising you work. As a gov. employee myself, and having been one of the people on the side of the road watching someone else dig a hole, I feel I am qualified to do this. I'm willing to come over and assist in drinking your beer and watching you while you work! :D
This is going to turn into a regular union meeting pretty soon.

Thank you Warchild for making this happen.

I watched the last GB for the shock and I let it slip by .... but not this time.

:clap: