2007 FJR Starter Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azuqui

Reaction score
My 2007 FJR, isn't starting. Just winds.. By the look of things, and by what I've read here, it's not that easy changing the starter. I live in Cape Coral, Florida and was wondering if anyone knew of a shop that works on them. Thanks...

Oh my, what is the fast starter syndrome? I obviously haven't been around long enough to hear of that.
No start condition generally attributed to flooding. Usually happens when bike has been shut off before it has been allowed to warm up fully the last time it was run. Usual cure is starting with wide open throttle. Fully charged battery, WOT for 15 seconds. If it doesn't work, let it rest a few minutes and go again.
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/fjrf011-fast-starter-syndrome.135171/

2007 with 115k miles, replaced starter in Sept. Was taking two or three times to start and I checked the current draw at the battery and as getting around 70amps. Ordered a new OEM online and it took 8 weeks to get to CT

2007 with 115k miles, replaced starter in Sept. Was taking two or three times to start and I checked the current draw at the battery and as getting around 70amps. Ordered a new OEM online and it took 8 weeks to get to CT
Out of curiosity, did you check the starting current with a new replacement OEM starter? 70 amps on your old one is pretty high but I have heard of ones drawing more than double that and still working (badly).

I put a brand new OEM starter on my 07 and the total current draw during cranking was 115 with the new starter. https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/battery-vs-starter-vs-stator.156828/
I don't know if there are any specifications but 115 amps seems high to me. I haven't done measurements myself because I haven't had problems, but thought the general consensus was that over 80 was too much. I will do some reading and see if I can find out more...

Edit: Did a little reading and there is a big range of opinions although the upper end does seem to be less than 100 amps. I think part of the problem is making a measurement where the current isn't steady. Couldn't find anything in the FSM about specs...

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the choice of words I used. When I said wines, I meant she trying to start, sounds like the starting motor is engaged, but during this also hear like rubber band snap sounds (sounds electrical).. but doesn't start.

I'm sorry for the choice of words I used. When I said wines, I meant she trying to start, sounds like the starting motor is engaged, but during this also hear like rubber band snap sounds (sounds electrical).. but doesn't start.
If it sounds like the engine is turning over then read some of the Fast Starter Syndrome link I posted. Without hearing what you are describing, it is hard to tell what might be going on. Don't know what the "snap" might be...

If you do in fact need a starter, then yes the job is a total PITA. I replaced mine when the bike wouldn't start when it was hot. It seems Yamaha laid the starter on the floor and built the bike around it. It is on top of the crankcase. You have to remove the fuel tank, and throttle bodies to get to it.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, did you check the starting current with a new replacement OEM starter? 70 amps on your old one is pretty high but I have heard of ones drawing more than double that and still working (badly).
No I haven't check with the new starter. All the issues went away so I wasn't worried about it anymore. Need to wait for warmer weather to check with the new starter.

I suggest you video (with the audio turned on) your attempt to start your bike. Post the video and then we will all have a better idea of what the problem might be.

Attachments

• 20221219_102942.mp4
    24.1 MB

Latest posts