2007 FJR1300 AE 52,141 miles, question on recalls, service bulletins and running temperatures.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ECU replacement at this time by Yamaha is surprising to me. Last year I purchased an '06 with 7K miles on it in mint condition that had the altitude sickness - I experienced it at 7000+ feet elevation after I left my home at 650' elevation. The local Yamaha dealer/service department checked with Yamaha for replacement, and the answer was a "NO". I also called Yamaha myself about the ECU replacement and outstanding issues. I was very courteous and professional on the phone - and the answer I got was a very firm "NO". This came from a support representative who looked up my bike's VIN number and also told me NOT to ride the bike until the sub-harness is installed - which is (was) not available at the time, and they didn't know when they will get it back in stock again. That call left a bitter taste in my mouth, especially because I owned a 2003 FJR before I sold it for the '07. I would equate the call to flipping me the bird through the phone. (I know that others had better experiences with Yamaha support, but this was mine, and my local dealer's service department's as well.) I wonder why there is such a huge inconsistency in the way Yamaha choses to fix issues that are inherent design flaws. I ended up purchasing and ECU from Ebay from a wrecked, late model '07 and swapped it myself. I have not experienced the altitude sickness again on the same route, which I took several times since. I also was able to get an original Yamaha sub harness through Ebay, which the service department installed while they still had my bike - waiting for the Yamaha part to become available. Don't get me wrong - I love my bike and I am very happy with it. I just wish that I had better and more consistent experience with Yamaha's support on fixing issues that are obviously "shipped from the factory".

I have notice several members posted the 2008 has the lean off idle stumble like the 2006/2007. I have a 2008 AE 58,000 miles and it's smooth off idle no Ivan flash.

When we installed a used "Brodie" bypass ground harness I noticed larger Black ground wire to #4 connector that has the "spider" distribution clip in it. I looked up my vin# on the Yamaha recall site, ignition switch and #4 was done in 2009.

I have notice several members posted the 2008 has the lean off idle stumble like the 2006/2007. I have a 2008 AE 58,000 miles and it's smooth off idle no Ivan flash.

When we installed a used "Brodie" bypass ground harness I noticed larger Black ground wire to #4 connector that has the "spider" distribution clip in it. I looked up my vin# on the Yamaha recall site, ignition switch and #4 was done in 2009.
'06 and '07 were the worst. '08 was much better and by '10 or so, it was significantly better. (I think there were incremental improvements after '08 but not based upon anything other than anecdotal information.) My 2011 is really good. My '07 (bought with 12,000 miles) came with a Power Commander. I took it off at maybe 25,000 miles as it was hard on fuel economy. I got used to the snatchy throttle pretty quickly and it didn't really bother me very much for the next 160,000 miles! The "stumble" is going to be a bigger issue with the AE than with A models.

Last edited: